Does the VGC aparent(?) media black out make him a better reviewer?

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 26th, 2014, 8:07 pm

It is fairly common to see the VGC make a comment about a game in the Now Playing section, or when posting  a review, in which his opinion and take on a game is 180 degrees from what you are seeing from most every other site. Furthermore, it often seems that when you read a  review or preview that us uncharacteristic,  that the Critic is seemingly unaware about what others have said about the game. The latest case being Sonic Boom, which was blasted quite thoroughly by any outlet that touched it.

In general, it often seems like the VGC is a month or so behind the headlines, if not more.

I think that is actually a good thing, if this is indeed the case, it makes the reviews truly  independent and more interesting.

I bet I am not the only one who has noticed this pattern, your thoughts.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 27th, 2014, 10:16 am

I really like the fact that the VGC's reviews are so independent from the gaming masses (whether I disagree with them or not). It makes his reviews very refreshing and always seems to provide fresh insight into many different games. I will sometimes find games that I enjoy that other reviewers have simply ignored because of this (most recent example was Robocop vs. Terminator for the Genesis).

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » November 27th, 2014, 12:20 pm

I don't think there's anyone else that is so blatantly honest regarding declining franchises like Madden and the monopolies EA has for its sports franchises. They certainly don't work for the big time magazines and websites.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 27th, 2014, 5:28 pm

There are plenty of other people that won't fall into the trap of games media in praising the latest POS entry from Assassin's Creed(Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling being two such examples).

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » November 27th, 2014, 9:37 pm

I've seen many instances where the Critic indicates he is aware of what others say about the game.  In the Toy Commander review, he talks about it being a cult classic.  He must read the message boards out there from time to time.  That being said, I don't think whether or not he read's other people's opinions affects his reviews; having written so many reviews over the years I'm sure he's learned to block it all out and be objective.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » November 28th, 2014, 1:30 pm

I agree

Return to “Video Games General”