Reader Vote Stats Pane

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Some of you may have noticed I added a Reader Vote Stats section on the right side of the main page.  Right now it has two reports but that number will grow.  The next two will be the highest/lowest rated games.

Let me know what you think.  Suggestions are welcome.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Just added the highest/lowest rated game panels.
Also, when you first bring up (or refresh) the main page it randomly selects one of the four reports.

Marriott_Guy1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » December 11th, 2014, 7:43 am

This functions very well - nice job!  My only suggestion would be to not have a random page selected - always start with report 1.  I hopped on and was presented with report 4 and I initially thought that there was something broken (rather than random like the banners).  Overall it is excellent!

JustLikeHeaven1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 11th, 2014, 12:45 pm

I like the reports.  One thing I would change is the minimum amount of votes for the top and bottom ranked games.  Right now it's only 5 votes.  It should need at minimum double digit votes...and even then I'd say it might need closer to 20 votes.  

Orion1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Orion1 » December 11th, 2014, 5:08 pm

The grades are not correct.  Tempest 2000 and Sonic Collection are not showing as A+ from the users when you go to the actual review.  Those are the only two I checked.  They may all be wrong.

Rev1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Rev1 » December 11th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Cool feature, I agree it needs to have a double digit minimum.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 11th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Actually I believed the grades WERE correct at the time when the reports were generated.  They are generated every night.  The votes are still pouring in so I think you'll see a lot of fluctuations.  I went ahead and set the minimum number of votes to 10.

What's next?  

Well, I think the individual games getting the most votes would be interesting.  Also, the highest and lowest rated games for each system.  That would push the number of report up close to 100.

I probably won't work on this more until next week.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

Orion1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Orion1 » December 11th, 2014, 7:51 pm

It would be nice to see what user grades differ the most from the Critic's grades.  Maybe it can be two lists; one that shows the games the users rated higher than the Critic, and one that shows what games the users rated lower than the Critic's.  I wonder if there's an A to F difference anywhere.  Perhaps if that happens, and there's enough votes, there should be an icon for "split opinion."

I don't get much out of the "total votes" listings.  Obviously, it's just a measure of people's familiarity and that system's library.  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 12th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Okay so here are my plans.

By popular demand, I will focus on my most overrated/underrated games by comparing my grades to the readers.  That's a little more work but I can bang it out.

After that, I'm going to look at adding system-specific reports, like highest rated on the Genesis for example.  To let people switch between systems (or "all"), I'll need to add a drop-down menu.

Finally, I think it would be nice to have more results in reports.  For example, showing the top 25 games, or the complete list of systems.  I think I may add a screen bar to the pane for that purpose.  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2014, 11:11 am

I made a slight enhancement to the Reader Vote panel.

Now the results are a scrolling list, allowing me to include ALL the systems and the TOP 40 games.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Return to “Video Games General”