Unreleased Games You Wanted to Play

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 25th, 2014, 12:55 am

Too many games like River Raid 3 for the SuperNes to try to list the many games that I was looking forward to but never had the chance to experience due to a change in plans. 

But the one that perhaps came the closest before having the rug pulled out from under it was a North American release for Richard Burns Rally on the original Xbox. Showed up on release day to buy it at GameStop and they didn't have it in their system. Did some investigating and emailed the publisher.

Someone eventually got back to me and told me that there was a last minute change in plans the day before the disc replication plant was to start production and that it had been cancelled. 

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrvVqTTYj8[/video]

It's even on the initial North American backwards compatibility list for the Xbox 360, which was launched just a few weeks after this was supposed to be released. A testament to just how late in the game the publisher cancelled it.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » December 25th, 2014, 11:31 am

MORTAL KOMBAT HD KOLLECTION

Despite some rumors denying its existence, this game has actually been proven to had been in the works around MK9, but was scrapped for unknown reasons. It was going to be HD remakes of the first 3 MK games shot with new actors. It may sound kinda lame, but some of the pictures that have surfaced online look quite good, and the actors were pretty much dead ringers for the original actors/character models.

Eventually, this title just simply became known as "Mortal Kombat Arcade Kolllection," and was just basic arcade ports of MK 1-3, released on PS3, 360 and PC.

I think the original idea was to make the games similar to Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, where you could play the original game or switch to the new version with updated visuals.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 25th, 2014, 6:11 pm

I had no idea there was going to be a River Raid 3 for the SNES.  That could have been epic.  

I didn't hear about this one until later but Factor 5 had numerous Red Squadron games in development at various points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rogue_Squadron_%28series%29

They even had a mostly complete trilogy for the Wii.  Likewise, they even had started an X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for the Xbox 360.  I'd love something like that.  Instead they weren't able to complete that and instead started on Lair for the PS3.  Crazy!

Lucasarts also had a new Battlefront in development along with a much simpler Team Fortress style Star Wars game that got canned.  At least we'll get a new Battlefront next year.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 25th, 2014, 9:39 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I had no idea there was going to be a River Raid 3 for the SNES.  That could have been epic.  [/QUOTE]

Kaboom 2 was underway as well.

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]They even had a mostly complete trilogy for the Wii.
[/QUOTE]

The Wii project was apparently going to be just the two GCN games. The original Xbox project (that eventually was resurrected on the Wii, only to be cancelled again) was going to see all three be redone.

Softens the blow a bit since the GCN releases still look great and I'm skeptical that their attempts at things like Wii motion control for light saber battles and such would've been very pleasing. 

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]along with a much simpler Team Fortress style Star Wars game that got canned[/QUOTE]

That reminds me that the original Team Fortress 2 was cancelled. Was looking forward to it after loving Team Fortress Classic.

For whatever reason, what Valve released many years later for a follow-up never really pleased me. 

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » December 25th, 2014, 11:29 pm

There was a Vectorman game for the Dreamcast that never happened and wish it did.
But what I mostly wanted is Beyond Good and Evil 2. This one still has hope since I know I'm not the only one that wants it to be completed. Come on Ubisoft, you teased me with a trailer years ago and let it die but I know you can make it happen!

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 26th, 2014, 3:41 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]MORTAL KOMBAT HD KOLLECTION

Despite some rumors denying its existence, this game has actually been proven to had been in the works around MK9, but was scrapped for unknown reasons. It was going to be HD remakes of the first 3 MK games shot with new actors. It may sound kinda lame, but some of the pictures that have surfaced online look quite good, and the actors were pretty much dead ringers for the original actors/character models.

Eventually, this title just simply became known as "Mortal Kombat Arcade Kolllection," and was just basic arcade ports of MK 1-3, released on PS3, 360 and PC.

I think the original idea was to make the games similar to Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, where you could play the original game or switch to the new version with updated visuals. [/QUOTE]

While a very good game, SF II Turbo HD Remix doesn't include the old visuals.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 2nd, 2015, 2:51 am

Star Fox 2 and Sonic X-treme.

Sega of Japan really screwed everyone out of that last one, would've been beautiful with the Saturn collection.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » January 2nd, 2015, 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz][QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]MORTAL KOMBAT HD KOLLECTION

I think the original idea was to make the games similar to Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, where you could play the original game or switch to the new version with updated visuals. [/QUOTE]

While a very good game, SF II Turbo HD Remix doesn't include the old visuals.[/QUOTE]You are incorrect. You can switch between "Classic Arcade" and "HD Remix" in the game menu.

The "HD Remix" is simply re-drawn, updated visuals over the existing, original graphic models.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 6th, 2015, 7:22 pm

When I had a PSP, I was really excited when I found out they were making a new Earthworm Jim game. It had updated 3D graphics like they did with Castlevania: Dacula X Chronicles. I would probably still be excited to play it today. But they stopped working on it and made me sad [frown]

Glitter1

Postby Glitter1 » January 7th, 2015, 1:24 am

I have to echo Sonic X-Treme as well. While the series has largely fallen apart since the Genesis era, that one really seemed to have potential. I hope that we'll eventually see something from the teams that are working to bring betas of the game into a playable state and then publicly release them, but even if that happens it won't be the same.

While it doesn't quite count as unreleased, I'd love to have been able to see some of the other games that Bioshock Infinite might have been. It's so obvious in earlier materials (and, to an extent, the way things are mashed together in the final product) that some of what they were working on was a very different game from what we actually got in Infinite, and I think it would have been really neat to be able to play those other stories.

Prey 2 is definitely another one I'm sad won't be coming out. Star Wars 1313, even if there's really no saying whether it would have been one of the [i]good[/i] Star Wars games or one of the [i]bad[/i] Star Wars games. Donkey Kong Racing for the Gamecube, I'm assuming that's one that was killed off as a result of selling Rare to Microsoft. Diddy Kong Racing was so good and we really could use a sequel. It's hard to say how much of it was truly lost versus just being incorporated into later games, but it seems a shame that Super Mario 64 2 never saw the light of day.

Return to “Video Games General”