2014/12/26: Sega CD: Demolition Man, Wirehead

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 26th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Two new Sega CD review posted.  Feedback encouraged.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » December 26th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Wow, I'm shocked that you hated Wirehead so much! My wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit (though the lack of a savegame function is irritating), and in general it seems to be one of the more well-regarded FMV games. It even has a few clever design elements, e.g. options that flash on the screen very briefly that, if grabbed, will allow you to take shortcuts through the game or save one of your lives.

Then again you hated Panic too, and both games have at least one major trait in common: you have to be willing to systematically map them out to make progress. Otherwise you'll end up going in circles.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » December 26th, 2014, 4:50 pm

I imagine that the Critic wouldn't be a fan of the gameplay of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Sega CD then (a game I mentioned the last time the Critic reviewed a MMPR game).

Irrespective of the show, sometimes the command entering speed of some of the fight scenes looks, shall we say, fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3-dUePRbt0

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » December 26th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Definitely disagree on Wirehead, I thought it was pretty good as both a movie and a game.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » December 26th, 2014, 5:41 pm

I respectfully disagree with the Wirehead review.  For me it's an A.  It's basically Dragon's Lair meets action comedy. The visuals look better than other Sega CD FMV games, and they are full screen.  I'm playing on an S-video modded Genesis, so maybe that helps. 

If I was playing directly from a walkthrough, I'd be bored too.  The challenge of getting through each scene is part of the fun.  It is probably the best-acted FMV game as well.  That isn't saying much, but at least it looks like they rehearsed  Let's not forget, it's a comedy:

<spolier ahead>

There's a part late in the game where he punches a women off a ledge.  Sounds evil but it comes across as hilarious because it comes out of nowhere.  In another part, if you instruct him to go through the escape door of a plane (while it's in the air), but he stops himself and breaks the fourth wall to yell at you.  Little touches like that make a big difference, at least for me.

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » December 26th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Good to see a couple of Sega CD reviews. I've not played either title so I can sit on the fence and be an innocent bystander.

But, your Wirehead review did not surprise me. It seemed to be on par with your other FMV game reviews.

Whether I agree or disagree, you always give a detailed review and that makes it easier to understand your giving a game a certain grade.

Thanks for another year of reviews!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I haven't played Wirehead but I have played Demolition Man. I received it for a gift when I was a kid and I used to play it all the time on my Genesis. It is an excellent game and it really feels like a mix of Contra, Smash TV, and some other action games, depending on the stage. I bought the Sega CD version for like 2 bucks at a game store about a year or two ago and played it as well. The loading times and the upgraded sound really didn't do much for the game but I still enjoyed it. It does feel like a bit of a downgrade from the original game. You should really take a look at the 3DO version, I heard it is a completely different game and sucks terribly. It might be worth doing since you tend to enjoy reviewing the same game from different consoles. Good reviews and I completely agree with your scores (for the 2 demolition man games, no clue on Wirehead).

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » December 27th, 2014, 2:19 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I haven't played Wirehead but I have played Demolition Man. [...] You should really take a look at the 3DO version, I heard it is a completely different game and sucks terribly.[/QUOTE]

[url=http://videogamecritic.com/3doae.htm#rev9]Er, you mean like this?[/url]

BTW it's great to see Sega CD games getting attention, and I hope it continues. You (the VGC) are about 50% done with the US library, FWIW, and tons of worthwhile games are still left to review. Fortunately (?) very few Japanese exclusives are even playable in English, and the handful that remain are mostly irrelevant or terrible, so that's basically not an issue.

If you want to try an offbeat, cerebral game, give Iron Helix a whirl. There's an initial learning curve, but once you figure out the mechanics it's got its charm.

Return to “Review Feedback”