Turbografx question.

General and high profile video game topics.
Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 28th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I was lucky enough to get a TurboGrafx with cd attachment for Christmas. Since then I have been buying up all the top rated games by the critic. My question is will my north American tg-16 play the Japanese game Castlevania Dracula X the critic rated so highly?

ActRaiser1

Turbografx question.

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 28th, 2014, 6:09 pm

CDs can be played on any system.  However, the Hu-Cards are region locked.

I think Rondo is a Super CD game, so you'll want the corresponding system card.  If you have the Turbo Duo it comes built in by default.  If you got the CD attachment, make sure you have the Super CD-ROM² upgrade card.

Odds are you have it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 28th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Thanks a lot! I'm not sure if my turbo graphics comes with that hu card for super cd. If it doesn't what is it called and where is best place to buy one?

ActRaiser1

Turbografx question.

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 28th, 2014, 9:21 pm

I don't know if there's a best place, but eBay has always worked for me.

Here's one for $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-16-CD-System-Card-2-0-for-Turbo-Grafx-and-Turbo-Duo-NEC-TG-16-/171617724786?pt=US_Video_Game_Memory&hash=item27f536a972

TurboGrafx-16 CD System Card 2.0 for Turbo Grafx and Turbo Duo NEC TG-16

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 28th, 2014, 9:55 pm

That card did come with my console. I was afraid I needed the 3.0 system card. So I guess it's safe for me to go ahead and shop for Castlevania. Thanks Actraiser you've been a ton of help.

Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » December 28th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Hey Wallyworld, the information you have been given is a little bit incorrect so be very careful with what you buy (this is really easy to confuse and if you buy the wrong system card you will not be able to play Dracula X).

You need the Super System Card 3.0 for any Super CD game on the PC Engine/T16. The card that ActRaiser linked out to you on ebay will only play games that are the normal CD type games (for example Ys 1 and II, Gates of Thunder, and a few others). The CD attachment is region free but you have to have the correct system card or it will not work. You can tell which games need the 2.0 card vs. the 3.0 card by the front cover art of the games. If it says Super CD Rom you have to have the 3.0 card. There are several options for you since you have the CD attachment.

Option 1- buy the extremely rare and pricy U.S. Super System Card 3.0 (these do not come up for sale very often but cost $200+). The case looks exactly the same as the PC Engine 3.0 card but it says Turbografx on it and not PC Engine.

Option 2- Buy a Hu Card converter ($100-200) and a cheap System System 3.0 card ($20) for the Pc Engine. This will allow you to play the japanese super system card on your U.S. system. If you can find a good deal on a U.S. Hu Card converter than this would be your cheapest option, but they are hard to find. 

Option 3- Buy a TurboDuo- you can then skip the whole card buying ordeal because they have up to the Super System 3.0 cards built it.

Option 4 (preferred)- buy the Pc Engine Duo R/Rx ($350-450) which has the cards built in as well, but they are extremely durable. These are the highest quality PC Engine's you can buy. If you buy the Arcade Card ($30ish) then you can not only play all CD games ever made but you can then play US HU Cards on your Turbografx and all CD games on the Pc Engine. This also allows you to import Hu Cards.

Unfortunately, there is not a cheap solution to your problem. People get the Turbografx confused all the time with what it can and cannot play. I suggest using this link to figure out what your best options are-

http://playlegit.net/2012/10/05/turbo-grafx-16pc-engine-buyers-guide-how-to-do-it-right/

I hope I helped. I have the same TurboGrafx and CD attachment and I looked high and low for the super system card and finally snagged one. It cost Ilose to 200 for me. II now have that as well as the PC engine duo r and I love both. Good luck.

Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » December 28th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Oh btw- ActRaiser was mostly right, but the card you need is the Super System 3.0 Card- the one he gave you in the link on ebay was for a Turbogrgafx 1.0 card. That card will absolutely not work for any Super CD games. Hopefully you didn't buy one yet.

ActRaiser1

Turbografx question.

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 29th, 2014, 8:45 am

Crap, apologies for giving the wrong information.  I remember researching this stuff 10 years ago and went with the Duo R to avoid this mess.  Again, apologies for providing inaccurate information.

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 29th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Well my Christmas present arrived from eBay today via Fed Ex. It showed up DOA. Doesn't power on or anything. I guess this was a blessing in disguise. I will just send this back and order the Pc Engine Duo R per Rev's suggestion. If you guys find a decent deal on one a Pc Engine Duo R please link it as I am now in the market for one.

Thanks everyone,

Wallyworld

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 29th, 2014, 2:52 pm

If anybody finds a link to the arcade card required for US Hu card games as well please attach a link as well.

Thanks again,

Wallyworld

Return to “Video Games General”