Reader Vote Stats Pane

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 31st, 2014, 6:39 pm

You may have noticed there are now 7 reader stats reports instead of 4 (see right panel on main page).  Let me know what you think.

scotland171

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby scotland171 » December 31st, 2014, 8:50 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]You may have noticed there are now 7 reader stats reports instead of 4 (see right panel on main page).  Let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

For Most Overrated (screen 5) ad Most Underrated (screen 6), its not immediately apparent which scores are the reader and which are the critics.   You can tell by the topic since on screen 5 the critic's score is higher, but there are not column headers.  Also, in the preceding screens, reader metrics are in white, but on screen 5 they switch to the color, and the critic's value is in white.

For Games with Most Votes (screen 7), the reader score would be nice.  All the good games getting 50+ reader scores, or do they run the gamut.

This may be me, but on screen 7 the previous button did not work.  The next did, and the previous and next work on all the other screens.  I was using Internet Explorer 10.

I am enjoying the new feature.  I've only put in a few scores myself. 

The Most Underrated is quite an interesting set of counter arguments to the reviews.  Its interesting to see games like Space Harrier (SMS) being championed fiercely. I have a soft spot for the SMS, but Space Harrier as a B on the system?  Interesting. 

Orion1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Orion1 » January 1st, 2015, 12:22 am

The "Prev" button does not work on the 7th report.  I'm using Chrome.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2015, 10:57 am

I just fixed the Prev button on report 7.

Do you like the use of red colors for the system names in reports 5-7?
Or do you prefer having the system names in parens like reports 3-4?
I think the color adds a little spice. 

So of these highly overrated/underrated games might be those I need to take another look at!

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions so far!  Keep it coming.

Orion1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby Orion1 » January 1st, 2015, 12:58 pm

I'd rather see this site's review collection grow, as opposed to constantly refreshing old reviews to satisfy the masses.  Who cares if you gave something a C and people think it's a B?  Since the readers now have their say, doesn't that mean there's LESS reason to go back and do a re-review.

Your portable sections need more reviews, especially the original Game Boy.  The good thing is that those games should take a lot less time to review.

rift1

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby rift1 » January 1st, 2015, 2:15 pm

very cool...now it's time to spend a few hours grading games! 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2015, 6:14 pm

I made a few enhancements to the Reader Vote Stats pane based on your feedback.
- Included extra line on reports 5/6 indicating which grades are the critic's, and which are the readers.
- Included grades for report 7.
- Used abbreviations for some systems like SNES to tighten things up.
- Lined up the columns for the grades.
How do you like it?

The final phase for this will be to generate system-specific reports.  That is, you'll be able to see these 7 reports for any system (in addition to all).  After that, I'll have a few other new features in mind to work on.

And Orion - I get the message about the re-reviews.  Working on Game Boy reviews now...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2015, 9:45 pm

I've completed the final phase of the reader voting project!

You might now notice that the reports have been broken out by systems.  You can select whatever system you want to see stats for.  By default, they come up at random.

Since some systems didn't have many votes, I had to lower the minimum votes on system reports to 5.  Otherwise a lot of these reports come up empty.

I'm looking forward to your feedback!  I don't really have any more plans for this feature (I think I've taken the concept far enough), but open to suggestions about cosmetic improvements.

scotland171

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby scotland171 » January 31st, 2015, 11:59 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I've completed the final phase of the reader voting project!

You might now notice that the reports have been broken out by systems. [/QUOTE]

While its only been a few weeks, has anyone noticed the tendency of lots of average grades? See the PS2 for an example. Its a large library that Dave has given a number of F grades, but table 2 of the 'top' 10 lowest reader rated games has 4 C grades, 2 C+ grades, 4 B- grades and a B.

When even Superman on the N64 rates a D from readers, its alarming. I know every game has its fans, and maligned games like ET can build up reactionary apologists, but for readers to not have a single F or D game yet on the PS2 is just wacky.

Its probably not feasible to see the individual scores, but its cases like this where just an average becomes pretty useless. On the flip, I like seeing the games with the most votes.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Reader Vote Stats Pane

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2015, 1:28 pm

Scotland,

Yeah I think this is caused by a number of factors.  First, people tend to vote for their favorite games.  Also, I think the industry has fostered the notion of inflated grades.  People think an F game should be unplayable, and I disagree.  I think there should be an even number of "A" and "F" grades for a given system.  

Obviously I give a LOT more F's than most people.  I think we live in a politically correct age where nobody can get their feelings hurt.  Heck, you can be labelled "bully" just for saying something someone else doesn't agree with!  A lot of magazines I read just give out A's and B's to just about everything.  Personally I'd rather be a little less politically correct and more honest.

One new feature I'm thinking about is providing a "breakdown graph" of the grades for each game, so you get a visual representation of how the grades were distributed.

As always, suggestions are welcome.

VGC

Return to “Video Games General”