2015/1/7: Playstation 4: Minecraft, NBA 2K15

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 8th, 2015, 4:43 am

[QUOTE=scotland17]Is there a released PS4 or xboxone game you think deserves an A that Dave has not reviewed yet, or do you think this is basically reality at this point in time?[/QUOTE]

Fair question. There are 'A' games on both systems the problem is they are also available on older formats. Last of Us and GTA V to name but two. GTA V could do with a PS4 review as it's a good upgrade both graphically and content wise plus the altered mechanics of the FP view but it's still essentially a last gen game.

Although to be balanced I've yet to play a poor PS4 or Xbone game, they are all good solid games (The critics Killzone review is harsh, I'm still playing it a year on) but no we haven't had that 'A' game.....yet.

Noah981

Postby Noah981 » January 8th, 2015, 8:23 am

[QUOTE=scotland17]At this point, Dave has reviewed 11 PS4 and 5 XboxOne titles, and not a single A nor F yet. With 24 WiiU reviews, there are 7 A's, or more than 25%. Granted the WiiU is a year older, and this is just a VGC sampling, but it shows the PS4 and XboxOne libraries are pretty underwhelming. The xbox360 is like 15% As, the Wii about the same, and the PS3 even higher, more than 20%.

Is there a released PS4 or xboxone game you think deserves an A that Dave has not reviewed yet, or do you think this is basically reality at this point in time?[/QUOTE]

Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Resogun are A's for PS4. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for an "A" console exclusive/non remake. I haven't played Sunset Overdrive on my Xbox One yet (Christmas backlog) though so maybe that one will qualify.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » January 8th, 2015, 2:40 pm

I think the latest Call of Duty might get an A if we're going by past indications.  Ghosts certainly was a step back, but I think Advanced Warfare righted the ship.  I personally don't think any of the CoD titles deserve an A except for the very first one that was a PC exclusive, but CoD: AW seems right up VGC's alley.

knoll3601

Postby knoll3601 » January 8th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Minecraft is less of a video game and more of something like LEGOs. Some people will play it for short periods of time and get bored, others can play for hours and be enthralled. Kids particularly like it and most adults just aren't that into it (but the ones that do build AMAZING things). Like you said: it's an activity, not a game.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 8th, 2015, 5:37 pm

I don't know...I don't find an NA rating for something like this as a cop out. You either love Minecraft or you hate it... A lot of people live and breath Minecraft and others don't understand how anyone could find anything enjoyable out of it. I feel that NA represents a particular type of game where a reviewer looks at a game and really can't come up with any sort of final consensus for the game. I think Minecraft pretty much fits the bill.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 9th, 2015, 12:10 am

I think the appeal of Minecraft has a lot to do with how you view it. When I first heard about it being virtual Legos, I had the same reaction as you. I'm not against creativity (I'm a writer after all) but if I'm going to do anything creative in a video game I prefer level/map editors- especially if you can put them online for other people to try, a la Little Big Planet. . But when my friends started describing Minecraft as a survival simulation, it piqued my interest. Think about it like this: you're placed in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a map and your bare hands. It's up to you to cut down trees and build a house before nightfall so the monsters can't get you. You progress from there, and eventually become confident enough to venture out and take on the monsters. You have the entire world to explore, and you can even burrow underground and discover the cave systems and abandoned mine shafts. And since the world is generated at random with every new game, you can't just get into a routine. You have to figure out where you are and what you have to work with every time. I agree that it's not for everyone, especially if you don't want to take the time to learn everything (I've been playing for two months and still don't know everything), but labeling it as "virtual legos" and giving up is kinda selling it short in my opinion.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 9th, 2015, 6:59 am

A game that screams get it for the 360 or Xbox 1 and you get it for the PS4.  It is going to look the same on all the systems.  The xbone is 6 times the size of the 360 version. Given this was first a success on 360 I would have chosen that version.  Then went online and played in a friends world to get an idea of how it works.  You could have come into my world/s.  I would have been happy to show you around and get you through the basic concepts.

Also I have Halo worlds which is only going to be on MS.

Truthfully this is one of your poorer reviews.  It is more like an introduction to the game rather than why you like it.  Though you have given plenty of reasons why you do not like it.  The main one being you do not like RPGs.

I have spent 100s of hours on it.  Though recently I have not played it at all. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 9th, 2015, 6:04 pm

I heard a lot of interesting views in this thread.  The idea of looking at it as a survival game definitely puts a different spin on things!

I did notice people who gravitate toward Minecraft 1) like the idea of level editors, and 2) are willing to put in 100+ hours into the game.  I don't think I've ever even put 25 hours into a game. Then again, if it was my only game, I could probably sink a lot of time into it.

Maybe one day I'll revisit it and give it the review it really deserves.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 9th, 2015, 11:58 pm

I'll admit, it does get old for me after a couple hours.  Once you've spent some time in the world, it starts to feel like you're just going through the motions.  Punch down trees, build house, build tools, scavenge for supplies, build better tools, more scavenging, better tools, fight monsters, explore, dig, etc.  It's especially frustrating when you die without having time to put your stuff in a chest and lose it all- that's usually where I decide to put it away for the day.  But the interesting thing is that I keep coming back to it.  When I get bored of other games, I usually sell them back and get something else.  But with Minecraft, I'll put it away for a week, maybe even a month, and then when I get it out again I'm having just as much fun as when I first bought it.  Maybe even more, since I know what I'm doing this time around.  Minecraft is definitely one of the hardest games to give a rating to, because what one person loves about it another is more likely to hate.  I'm surprised, myself, that I love it so much, since I've said more than once that story is usually the most important thing to me.  That said, I think that, even if you were to change your mind, an NA rating is probably the best thing you could give it.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » January 10th, 2015, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=txsizzler]On the other hand, I have really enjoyed the game "Terraria", which is somewhat similar to Minecraft, but like on steroids!/QUOTE]

Oh my god, THANK YOU for suggesting Terraria. I saw you talk about it, looked it up and then bought it last night and I'm hooked to it already.

Return to “Review Feedback”