2015/1/10: Wii U: Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Let me know what you think about my latest Wii U reviews!

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 10th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Critic has been sipping on haterade!!! LOL

I expect quite a backlash with these two reviews. Lemme get my popcorn.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 10th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Ha, I haven't played Smash yet but do own Hyrule Warriors.  You'll get no complaints from me on the grade for that game.  After it locked up on me, I went on to Sunset Overdrive instead.

I can see how if one didn't have much choices for games and sunk your teeth into it one would get a lot out of it... but that's too much work.

C works just fine for me.  [smile]

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 10th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I'm not sure what to make of the Smash review. I mean, I love the Critic. His site is amazing...but perhaps he shouldn't review games he's decided in advance that he won't like?

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 10th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Not really surprised. If you look at his other reviews, you'll see he's never been a fan of Smash Bros.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 10th, 2015, 7:33 pm

I haven't played any Smash Bros games since the Gamecube, hence won't comment
on Dave's review, but Hyrule Warriors is easily my favorite game on Wii U so far. It has everything
a Zelda veteran could want fan service wise, and is a blast to play, so long as Dynasty Warriors
gameplay is your thing. A very satisfying experience, best enjoyed on the Gamepad graphics wise;
the textures don't look so good on the big screen, and the game looks slightly dated. On the Gamepad
though, it looks amazing!
Anyways, if you're like me and were introduced to Zelda on NES as a kid, you probably spent a great deal
on the colorful manual and map. You enjoyed the game, all that 'magic' it had you just couldn't find anywhere
else. What the game lacked in the way of story ingame was largely compensated by said manual, map, and
your imagination. Make believe.
Enter Hyrule Warriors with that magic still intact. All I had envisioned as a kid, the great heroic fantasy battles... It's there!
And guess what. You might have been introduced to Zelda through Ocarina of Time on N64? It's alright, you'll like Hyrule
Warriors too!

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » January 10th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Hyrule Warriors would rate higher on other systems? Please critic, tell me about all of these awesome games I cannot seem to find on the all but dead Wii U?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 10th, 2015, 9:08 pm

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]Not really surprised. If you look at his other reviews, you'll see he's never been a fan of Smash Bros.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I guess that makes sense. It's just...strange to see reviews like this. Ecco on Dreamcast, ACIV: Black Flag, Guardian Heroes, The Orange Box, and Dragon's Crown are a few other odd ones that--like this review--strongly buck the trend. Come to think of it, his complaints about the latter three along with all of the Smash reviews have centered around issues of visibility. Perhaps this is a factor more heavily weighted by the Critic than other game reviewers, although I've never personally had a visibility issue with any of these titles. What do y'all think? 

Of course, diversity of opinion is important and I should respect that. It's just that with games like Smash, there's far less subjectivity to factor into the review process. It works so wonderfully and delivers above and beyond expectations on every level. There's no greater achievement in this particular genre. It's a paragon.

Noah981

Postby Noah981 » January 10th, 2015, 9:27 pm

I'm terrible at Smash, but this is an outstanding game. I can live with a B even though I think it is an A+ game. A grade of C seems way too low. The game is really balanced and very customizable. You can pick simple stages, turn off items, go with stocks, etc. to tone down the game. The roster alone makes this an A game. Just my humble opinion though!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2015, 11:04 pm

I just want to remind everyone that unlike most sites, a "C" really does mean "average".  It doesn't mean I didn't like it.  I liked them both quite a bit!  However, there are a lot of great titles for the Wii U, and everything can't get an A.

Return to “Review Feedback”