2015/1/10: Wii U: Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 10th, 2015, 11:11 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I just want to remind everyone that unlike most sites, a "C" really does mean "average".  It doesn't mean I didn't like it.  I liked them both quite a bit!  However, there are a lot of great titles for the Wii U, and everything can't get an A.
[/QUOTE]

That's actually a good point to remember. Game reviews are so inflated these days in general that we tend to think of a game with a "C" review average as "disappointing," especially if we expected it to be a somehow groundbreaking (ahem...Destiny).

In Critic Land, a C rating might mean that the game is hours of fun, but not highly recommendable in light of other great titles on the system in question.

That being said, I do personally think that Smash 4 is one of a shining few system-selling Wii U titles. Clearly, the Critic did not see it that way.

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » January 11th, 2015, 1:11 am

What shocks me more than anything is that Sonic Boom has a higher score than Smash. I can't think of any other site that has that distinction, considering how much Smash is praised and how much Sonic Boom is trashed. If this site had the same viewer count as, say, IGN, the backlash would be insane.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 11th, 2015, 10:14 am

[QUOTE=eneuman96]What shocks me more than anything is that Sonic Boom has a higher score than Smash. I can't think of any other site that has that distinction, considering how much Smash is praised and how much Sonic Boom is trashed. If this site had the same viewer count as, say, IGN, the backlash would be insane.[/QUOTE]

Haha. That is kind of insane if you think about it. It's like rating Bubsy 3D higher than Metal Gear Solid.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 11th, 2015, 11:06 am

Man... I completely disagree with your Smash 4 review. I can understand Hyrule Warriors because at its core it is just a button masher but Smash 4? I can understand some of your critiques but man, you're critiques are so harsh on the game (while games like Sonic Boom aren't). The game does lack a decisive core to hold all the content together but I don't feel like this is as big of a deal as you make it out to be. You  could also argue that the multiplayer is the decisive core and that everything is built around that feature. If that's the case, this really should be one of your favorite games of all time because all you ever seem to do is complain about the lack of local multiplayer on games, yet here is a game that delivers it in spades and you give it an average review.

You also have the option of controlling the blinding explosions that seem to happen at every turn by going to the additional rules (where it defaults to <-2-> Minute KO fest in vs. and change the item frequency down, or removing some of the annoying items from the game). The game can be as chaotic as you want. The nice part about the game is that it caters to every crowd and all the features really do give you the ability to play the kind of game you want. Nintendo included a bunch of stages that are fun casual multiplayer as well as fun for the competitive scene. Very few games can hold that same balance. The game also sports stats up the wazzo so if you want to see your average wins, losses, KOs, hit percentage, anything, you can view it from one of the menus. I also believe the little gold icons under your names (duiring vs.) tell you your KO's you've achieved in multiplayer.

Also the changing your name feature has several reasons- for 1. it keeps track of your fighter during the match, so you know which character is yours (very minor reason) and 2. the much bigger reason is to hold your customizable controls to any character. If you want the same controls for all your characters you only have to select your name once, and as long as you're in the same mode, the game will keep your name attached to the character.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » January 11th, 2015, 11:54 am

Once again, these reviews make me wonder if you just plain don't like fun games. Another two games that get lower scores than they deserve while AWFUL games get really high scores.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 11th, 2015, 12:09 pm

All of this being said, I actually hope the Critic sticks to his guns on this one. The charm of his reviews derive from the plucky, idiosyncratic perspective he's cultivated, so to abandon that and capitulate to the whims of the masses would certainly injure the integrity of the site. I think Smash 4 is an "A+" as do many other readers, but the Critic thinks it's a "C" and has his own criteria for arriving at that conclusion.

I would say that the most salient aspect of videogamecritic.com is its even-handedness and usefulness, although the more you know about the Critic, the more you realize that certain genres and series will always be a hard sell with him. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 11th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Well guys, after some soul searching I bumped up Smash Bros. to a B- and Hyrule Warriors to a C+.  

I think I was in a rush to post those and forgot to compare the grades to the Wii U games I had already rated. I think these new grades are a little more reasonable.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » January 11th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Since 2008 was before my time here, I did a simple search for 'Smash' in the subject.  Wow.  

Looks like every game in the Smash series needs a new icon... the mad villager's pitchfork.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 12th, 2015, 5:43 am

[QUOTE=scotland17]Looks like every game in the Smash series needs a new icon... the mad villager's pitchfork.[/QUOTE]But Villager doesn't use a pitchfork.[tongue]

PAAppleyard1

Postby PAAppleyard1 » January 12th, 2015, 7:29 am

I'm so glad vgc gave the reviews the scores that he did. He have them the scores that I would give them. It's sad and annoying to see everyone just giving poplar games high scores because it's the easy option.

I think they will be great games of there your types of games though.

Return to “Review Feedback”