Nintendo bucking anti-instruction-manual trend?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2015, 10:50 am

I noticed the latest Nintendo games (Hyrule, Smash Bros) came with colorful manuals.  They are modest (just a few pages) but better than nothing.  Is Nintendo trying to buck the trend?  I think it could be a small way for them to differentiate themselves from their competitors.  If people take pride in owning their games, they might just buy more.

Your thoughts?

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 10th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Although they are welcome and I much prefer to have a manual I don't think it would influence purchase decisions.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » January 10th, 2015, 7:32 pm

At least have an introductory/tutorial level in-game, acceptable alternative..

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » January 10th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Naw. I bought NES Remix on the 3DS, and they put the manual on the game cart.

Pimphand_Gamester1

Postby Pimphand_Gamester1 » January 11th, 2015, 10:35 am

I have never once in my life since the original SMB/Duckhunt ever looked at an instruction manual for a video game. It's pretty easy to figure out but I could see certain games like maybe Starcraft 2 or other complex strategy games having a manual being useful.

I'm very surprised any game publisher even produced manuals beyond the 90's. But of course there is always online manuals if anyone needs them.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » January 11th, 2015, 11:10 am

They're not bucking the trend at all.  Mario Kart 8 only had a cheap pamphlet only explained the controls and nothing else (and even the game didn't explain much within it), Pokemon Y came with a redeem code for Torchic that was literally longer than the skimpy manual it came with and Kirby Triple Deluxe didn't even have one.  I know you clearly favor Nintendo this console cycle, but they're no different than the Sony or Microsoft you frequently criticize over this and shouldn't be let off the hook.

Return to “Modern Gaming”