2015/1/7: Playstation 4: Minecraft, NBA 2K15

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » January 12th, 2015, 12:16 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is a little tired of how so many games now incorporate (or in same cases shoehorn in) 'crafting'.  Without a manual or list of what can be combined to make what, I find it incredibly tedious to try to figure out what I can make and how.  I get that for some people it's fun and creative, but to me it feels like I'm having to figure out the game because the developers were too lazy to make a tutorial and were too cheap to publish a manual. 

I purchased Terraria about a year ago but quickly grew frustrated with the lack of instruction and what to me was a very non-intuitive interface.  I may yet go back and give it another whirl because I love the premise, but any time I know exactly what I want (or need) to do, but can't figure out via the interface how to actually do it, I tend to just punt.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » January 12th, 2015, 6:20 pm

[QUOTE=Sudz]I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is a little tired of how so many games now incorporate (or in same cases shoehorn in) 'crafting'.  Without a manual or list of what can be combined to make what, I find it incredibly tedious to try to figure out what I can make and how.  I get that for some people it's fun and creative, but to me it feels like I'm having to figure out the game because the developers were too lazy to make a tutorial and were too cheap to publish a manual. 

I purchased Terraria about a year ago but quickly grew frustrated with the lack of instruction and what to me was a very non-intuitive interface.  I may yet go back and give it another whirl because I love the premise, but any time I know exactly what I want (or need) to do, but can't figure out via the interface how to actually do it, I tend to just punt.[/QUOTE]

In the console version of Minecraft, the crafting system does tell you what you need for each item, and doesn't require you to put them in certain places like the computer version. Or is that not the case for the PS4/XB1 version?

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » January 13th, 2015, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=Sudz]I purchased Terraria about a year ago but quickly grew frustrated with the lack of instruction and what to me was a very non-intuitive interface.  I may yet go back and give it another whirl because I love the premise, but any time I know exactly what I want (or need) to do, but can't figure out via the interface how to actually do it, I tend to just punt.[/QUOTE]

While I disagree with that, I do have one complaint with Terraria: the enemies are relentless. I try to open a chest or chop shadewood, no can do, you have to fight wave after wave after wave of enemies until you eventually die. It wouldn't be too bad if there was an end to them, but they just don't stop. I really like the game, but I wish they had a lighter hand on the enemy spawns.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » January 18th, 2015, 11:28 am

[QUOTE=Splash]
While I disagree with that, I do have one complaint with Terraria: the enemies are relentless. I try to open a chest or chop shadewood, no can do, you have to fight wave after wave after wave of enemies until you eventually die. It wouldn't be too bad if there was an end to them, but they just don't stop. I really like the game, but I wish they had a lighter hand on the enemy spawns.[/QUOTE]

I have since got back and put a few more hours in Terraria and I agree the enemies present quite a barrier to learning and enjoying the game in the beginning.  If you don't already know how to build a house for protection, you have almost no chance of surviving the first night - period.  Once I figured out through multiple online searches and youtube videos how to build a house, it got much better and I could actually start to enjoy collecting and crafting items.  But yeah, I really had to grit my teeth and force myself to keep playing past the first night and dying every 30 seconds to get to that point.

Return to “Review Feedback”