Internet gaming making us lazy?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 23rd, 2015, 8:11 pm

I remember when games started to become available via download instead of physical media, some people said they preferred that delivery mechanism because they didn't need to go to the store.  I thought that was a little odd.  I actually enjoy browsing around a store like Best Buy every now and then.  And I can't remember the last new game I absolutely had to have NOW.

More recently I was reading some comments about downloadable games and some people said they preferred them because they didn't like getting up to put a new disc into their system!  Okay, now I think we're just being lazy.  Is it really such a chore to get off your butt and change the game?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 23rd, 2015, 8:23 pm

Definitely! I also enjoy the ritual of browsing through store shelves, which is something I still do when shopping for N64 or old obscure computer games.

Sony first wooed me into digital games back when they started giving me 4 free games every month. How awesome is that? Frequent discounts and bonuses with PS Plus also make digitally downloading PS3 and PS4 games an attractive option.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 24th, 2015, 6:33 am

People have begun to talk this way about every reason to leave their house.  They always act like the pre-internet days were like living in a third world country.  

"I LOVE streaming!  I used to hate having to drive ALL THE WAY to the video rental store, then talk to the jerk with the pimply face at the counter, then drive ALL THE WAY home and then repeat the process later to return the movie."  Wow Grandpa, I guess you walked there in a blizzard, uphill both ways too.

"Yeah I spent $25,000 on my home theater.  I hate having to drive ALL THE WAY to the movie, then listen to noisy kids talking, then drive ALL THE WAY home again."  

See, I loved browsing for movies.  I loved when I found out the guy at the counter loved B horror films and could recommend them right there. I love the plastic bags of really popped popcorn they sell.  I love making getting a movie and watching it into a several hour long event.  I like spending time on things that I love.   

And for movies, I love a quote from one of the guys at IGN who does their video work.  On one of their podcasts he said "kids are always saying 'movies aren't scary anymore.'  Yeah, you're right.  That's because you're watching them with your friends on the couch ON YOUR PHONE!"  

What really bothers me is that it isn't just the laziness.  It isn't just that people don't realize the superiority of the viewing setup in a public space with a giant screen.  It isn't that everyone acts like every second without consumption is a loss.  It's that people act like interacting with other human beings is the worst possible scenario they can imagine.  I love talking to people.  I love interacting with them.  I thought that was a general thing.  

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2015, 11:05 am

Atarifever,
Wow, you make some great points.  My wife and I used to  enjoy going to the neighborhood Blockbuster on a Friday night - maybe going out to dinner.  It was a ritual that dates back to when we were dating.  Looking in the "new movies" section you could tell what the latest movies were and what was really popular.  There were plenty of big movie posters to get you psyched up.

Netflix is more convenient, but a lot less memorable. And on-line has never been able to replicate the feeling of browsing through a store.  

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 24th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Yeah, I used to love going to Blockbuster as a kid because my dad would always let me rent 1-2 games for the weekend. As I got a disposable income I really started to enjoy going to game stores, Best Buy, and other places because browsing for games and movies was a lot of fun. I still do a lot of browsing today but it's definitely a different world than 20 years ago. Rental stores have taken a nose dive and you are stuck with Redbox or streaming/downloading if you want to try games out. Still, there are definitely some perks to the whole convenience thing but I'd rather go browsing in a store than just downloading/streaming something. If I would have been born about 10 years later I'd probably feel completely different about the whole thing.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 24th, 2015, 1:46 pm

I don't see how more convenient automatically equals lazy, that's just silly. I generally prefer physical copies of games(unless the downloadable versions offer something the physical ones do not, for example the GOG version of the first Splinter Cell has the three levels that were originally only available as DLC) but I usually buy those online. I only go to a store to pick my games in person nowadays when i'm getting a pre-order from Gamestop.

I do understand why some people don't enjoy going to theaters, sometimes other patrons can be quite obnoxious and inconsiderate of others, which can ruin the experience. I don't watch movies on a phone though(I prefer using my computer) and i'll still go to theaters for films that really excite me.

I definitely do miss Blockbuster though(and Hollywood Video), it was bittersweet when the last store near me closed down, Redbox is no substitute for a video store(I do enjoy Netflix though, my queue currently has hundreds of films I want to see), luckily I can still get a good video store experience with Family Video(largest independent video store chain in the U.S. for those who don't know, if you've never heard of them, that's because they're located in the midwest) and another independent store called People's Choice Video.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » January 24th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I miss those stores too. CompUSA and Computer City were also great. I used to love seeing what computer games had just came out. Twenty years ago where I lived there was a CompUSA, Spec's Music, Peaches Music, Blockbuster, and they're all gone. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 24th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Don't forget Circuit City, I also miss Gamecrazy.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » January 25th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I'll never forget when MLB 14: The Show came out for the PS4, and I had the game a few days early. Everyone else on Operation Sports was waiting until release day to download the game. Come release day, they were having all sorts of problems with the download. I specifically remember challenging people to have the game downloaded before I was eating my Korean beef that I had put in my slowcooker. Well, turned out that I was stuffing my face before they were playing. 

I think preferring digital to physical copies all depends on your setupl if everything is within reach, then it's not such a big deal. However, if your Wii U or PS4 is clear across the room, you're going to prefer digital rather than having to get up and change the stupid game. Games are a chance for us all to be lazy for awhile, so not having to change the game is nice. I remember a few years ago, I wished that these systems would have a six disc changer or something. To me, this is no different than the remote control making us too lazy to get up and change the channel. Can I help it if I want to flip back and forth between the Cubs and Bears?

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » January 25th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Games with longer length up to 500+ hours makes us lazy.

Don't be silly lol.

Return to “Video Games General”