Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)

The readers post their own reviews.
voorhiessa

Postby voorhiessa » September 21st, 2006, 8:14 am

I meant among CONSOLE games (yea, Counterstrike is the biggest, then probably World of Warcraft or Battlefield or something else). 

Oh yea, i wanted to mention that I think Quill makes some awesome logical points.  I actually prefer Street Fighter 2-style fighters, but I can't deny that SSBM is a legitate fighter (with it's own unquie style). 

I have to say that I haven't played any fighters on the last 2 generation-systems with the exception of Melee (for about 4 hours) and DOA4 (for about 10 minutes).  SFII Turbo (SNES) will probably always be my favorite, but SSB is really fun, and can be deep if you want it to be.

I think one of the biggest differences is the computer opponents.  In Street Fighter, they're very methodical and usually (or supposed) to get progressively harder--although Sagat was always the most irritating to me.  In SSB, the opponents are a bit more spastic, which is predictable (imagine if SF2 was played on multiple ledges...), and I guess is why you have different challenges, like the Master Hand, big DK, 100 Yoshis, etc..

Playing solo, I'd opt for Street Fighter 2...which in the day, I was by myself most of the time.  But if I had another human (being my younger brother), we always chose SSB and because his skill level was equal to mine, you HAD to use some tactics to keep up.  It's SUPPOSED to be multiplayer, whereas SFII can be very challenging and engaging with one player. 

From experience, SSB can be just as chess-like as any other fighter, though you need a worthy opponent.

Quill

Postby Quill » September 21st, 2006, 5:41 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

[QUOTE]Just don't hate it for the wrong reasons.  [/QUOTE]

Is the fact I find it dull and uninteresting the right reason?  I've tried many, many times to like these games but I just can't.  Yes you CAN get better at it but that doesn't really make the game anymore enjoyable IMO.  I was actually very good at the n64 version but never invested the same time into melee.  These games simply aren't for classic fighter fans.

[/QUOTE]

Actually yeah those are the right reasons.... lol. The only real problem I had with your initial arguement was the statement on the lack of depth or strategy.

I'll agree that SSBM does not appeal to most classic fighter fans. I happen to be a classic fighter fan... maybe not a hardcore one. I usually stick to the capcom fighters and really don't touch most of the other fighters. Though it is pretty rare you find someone that is a serious SSBM and Street Fighter 2 player.

The online thing with the next one... I'm not particularly worried about it one way or another. Would it be nice to have? Sure would, but unless there was no lag it just wouldn't be the same as playing with someone on the same console. I happen to be lucky enough to have plenty of competition for these games in my area though I know most people have to go out of their way to find some decent players.

a1

Postby a1 » September 21st, 2006, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Not to mention that none of the developers have even been told anything about the online implementation for the Wii.  Yet they have already started work on the SSBB engine.  How can you design a game engine when you don't know the online system that you will be using?

[/QUOTE]

The developers will be told, and Nintendo knows what the online is. SSBB may be being developed by a third-party but I'm sure that Nintendo has a close enough eye on it to provide online.

a1

Postby a1 » September 21st, 2006, 5:50 pm

Online isn't something I really care about. I will probably hook my Wii up to the internet for the Virtual Console, but I doubt I'll get into too many online matches. I'd much rather play with friends.

Nakita

Postby Nakita » September 21st, 2006, 9:27 pm

[QUOTE=Linkdude]Yeah, in case you're wondering. I'm only 14. I have done reviews for my friends since 2003. And now, I've been looking for sites that have forums that we can post up game reviews. Well, this is the place I found. Sure, my other reviews were good, but I didn't like my way I reviewed them. I feel like I'm copying other reviewers.
[/QUOTE]

Well, your review is your own opinion, and your right it isn't easy to find a place to review.
However, age doesnt matter, its just a number. I'm 15, and I know how to work for myself without using that as an excuse as well as many other high school age students.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 22nd, 2006, 7:36 am

a when you design a game engine you need to design it around the online infrastructure you will be using right from the very start.  Otherwise you end up with a terrible laggy end product.  It is not something you can just shoe horn in later ok?  The point is that the engine was designed before Nintendo fleshed out their online infrastructure.  This is a bad thing.

Quill

Postby Quill » September 22nd, 2006, 3:47 pm

The online mode for the next one is definitely up in the air. I've heard/read quotes from the makers of the game saying that they are running into problems with the online functionality. I've also heard rumors that more than likely 4 player matches will not be available for online play.

a1

Postby a1 » September 22nd, 2006, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]a when you design a game engine you need to design it around the online infrastructure you will be using right from the very start.  Otherwise you end up with a terrible laggy end product.  It is not something you can just shoe horn in later ok?  The point is that the engine was designed before Nintendo fleshed out their online infrastructure.  This is a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say the developers will be told in time for the launch games, or even early 2007 games. I simply said the developers would be told. I imagine that Nintendo has implemented online into their own first party games (non-launch), and SSBB, but I could be wrong

Conn

Postby Conn » September 22nd, 2006, 7:43 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=bluemonkey]  
Not to mention that none of the developers have even been told anything about the online implementation for the Wii.  Yet they have already started work on the SSBB engine.  How can you design a game engine when you don't know the online system that you will be using?
[/QUOTE]
The developers will be told, and Nintendo knows what the online is. SSBB may be being developed by a third-party but I'm sure that Nintendo has a close enough eye on it to provide online.
[/QUOTE]

It's being developed by a third-party? I thought it was just a bunch of Nintendo guys and Sakuari overseeing the whole thing.

a1

Postby a1 » September 22nd, 2006, 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=Conn]

It's being developed by a third-party? I thought it was just a bunch of Nintendo guys and Sakuari overseeing the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how this stuff works, but I do know it's developed by HAL the same people that developed SSBM. I think HAL is a company owned and controlled by Nintendo, so I guess third-party was a misleading term for me to use.

Return to “Reader Reviews”