Remembering the Xbox

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sudz1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Sudz1 » February 8th, 2015, 10:19 am

I did find two things that the Xbox did out of the box to be head and shoulders above other consoles at the time; it supported 4 controllers (the PS2, its main competition, only supported 2 natively) and it saved game files directly to a hard drive.  In fact, the hard drive alone made it my preferred platform.  Being in a house with 3 boys who also liked to play games, trying to sift through any one of dozens of PS2 memory cards or Dreamcast VMU's that only seemed to hold 3 or 4 save games apiece was maddening.  Saving everything to the console so you could just pick your own save point whenever you wanted without having to hunt-and-gather was a game changer for me.

Although I never modded my own Xbox, I also loved the fact that they *could* be easily modded and folks came up with all kinds of awesome configurations to convert them to all-purpose MAME systems with thousands of games available right on the console.  As a long-time PC gamer, I'm always for allowing individual configuration (even though I realize none of that was supported by Microsoft).

LoganRuckman1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby LoganRuckman1 » February 18th, 2015, 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=FinalLapTwinkie]Xbox is classic gaming? Yeah, I will agree the Xbox has some games that are classic.

I have one set up in my son's room. We have a Wii and Xbox 360 hooked to another television. They hardly get played anymore. My son wanted an Xbox One so I hooked the original Xbox up for him. The original Xbox is the first Xbox right? lol. Therefore the Xbox One should be called the Xbox Three.

All kidding aside it is hard to put the Xbox in the classic thread talk. It still is a fun system to play and the technology still seems modern.[/QUOTE]

Age may play a part in it (not trying to call you old [smile] ). Think about this: When the OG Xbox was released in 2001, I was only 7, almost 8. I am 21 now. 2001 seems like ages ago for someone my age.

Vexer1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Vexer1 » February 18th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Indeed, as someone who was born in 1990, 2001 feels like a long time ago.

m0zart1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby m0zart1 » March 18th, 2015, 11:58 pm

I was not a great fan (and still am not) of first-person shooters, most fighting games, etc.  XBOX just put out a majority of games that were not my cup of tea.

However, when an XBOX game did catch my attention, it usually did it in a very big and very time consuming way.  The most notable XBOX game for me personally was "Knights of the Old Republic", which burned up more than a month of real time on me.  I decided to pick it up a few weeks ago again since I hadn't played it in a great many years, and once again I find myself addicted to it.

That game was released the same year as Wind Waker, and I found myself to my surprise much preferring KOTOR to that year's Zelda release.  I'm a bit of a Zelda nut, and that rarely happens.  Only problem is that I didn't realize how much I preferred it until about a year later.  My first impression of KOTOR on release was not good and I quickly put it away.  A year later I picked it up again and forced myself through the first few minutes, and then found that the game appealed to me greatly despite the bad first impression.

Wallyworld1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 19th, 2015, 3:03 am

I recently bought a modded xbox with 500 GB hd on ebay. The seller put every emulator with roms on it minus the saturn one. It's really an amazing media setup. I'm in talks with him now to build me another with a 2tb HD and every original xbox games ever made. I own 600 unique games for it and it would be nice to take them all with me to work to play or wherever I want.

Cheers,

Wallyworld

Herschie1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Herschie1 » March 19th, 2015, 4:24 am

The Xbox was actually nice. Sure I could play pretty much every game that I liked on here on other systems, but c'mon. Think back to 2004 and watching actual replays on the halftime show of ESPN NFL 2K5. That daggone hard drive sure was nice. The graphics I guess were slightly better. 

ptdebate1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby ptdebate1 » March 19th, 2015, 8:10 pm

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]I recently bought a modded xbox with 500 GB hd on ebay. The seller put every emulator with roms on it minus the saturn one. It's really an amazing media setup. I'm in talks with him now to build me another with a 2tb HD and every original xbox games ever made. I own 600 unique games for it and it would be nice to take them all with me to work to play or wherever I want.

Cheers,

Wallyworld[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Sounds like a great setup!

My Xbox only has 160 GB (I think) at present, but I'm going to increase that to 2Tb as soon as I have the time to fiddle with it. Let me know how it goes. Long live Xbox! [biggrin]

Dave1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Dave1 » March 20th, 2015, 1:19 am

Never owned an Xbox, but like Mozart, I was blown away by KOTOR on PC. I'm not even a Star Wars nut, but that game is phenomenal. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was another game that was both on Xbox and PC that really blew my mind. Bioware and Bethesda really shifted my RPG tastes from primarily Japanese to primarily Western.

As a PS2/PC guy at the time, the only game that could've gotten me to buy an Xbox was Jade Empire, but even that game couldn't justify the purchase. And I still haven't played Jade Empire!

C64_Critic1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby C64_Critic1 » March 22nd, 2015, 6:27 pm

I may have missed it in the thread, but is anyone here intimately familiar with modding an Xbox to put various MAME and emulators on it?  I'm looking for a fun side project, and I'd like to take one of my old Xbox consoles and replace the hard drive with a 1TB drive (or so) and put a bunch of emulators and rom's on it.  Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated!

Wallyworld1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 27th, 2015, 12:13 am

I have no idea how to do it that why I bought mine off ebay. It has about 40 different emulators on it. If you can build one it's well worth the trouble. I play this thing literally almost every day.

Return to “Classic Gaming”