The 3DS Zelda remakes are nice, but...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » February 8th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I really wish that they could have put them on the Wii U rather than the 3DS. I mean, think about it; the 3DS is basically a dual-screen Gamecube in 3D. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time were on the N64, so it's really only a one-generation jump in graphics.

Imagine had they done it on the Wii U instead like they did with Wind Waker. The Wii U is basically slightly better than the 360 graphics-wise, so had they put these games on the Wii U, we'd get a two-generation improvement instead of one generation. 

These thoughts came to me last night while I was outside with the dog with Hyrule Warriors paused. There was this one part that showed Lake Hylia, and it looked mighty similar to the Ocarina of Time version. I like that game, and I especially like how it gives us a glimpse as to what Zelda might look like this generation. 

Food for thought. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 8th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Yeah I think it'd be really cool if the games were redone on the Wii U but then again, I really like playing Zelda games on the go. I am much more likely to finish them since I always have my 3DS with me. I can't speak about Majora's Mask (since I don't own it yet) but Ocarina of Time was a really nice upgrade. Apparently the game is already out of print so people are selling the game for $60+ online for them.... Glad I kept mine.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » February 9th, 2015, 11:33 am

[QUOTE=Rev] I can't speak about Majora's Mask (since I don't own it yet) but Ocarina of Time was a really nice upgrade. Apparently the game is already out of print so people are selling the game for $60+ online for them.... Glad I kept mine.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'd better make sure that I take care of my copy then! Yeah, it's an upgrade alright, but I really would have like to have been wowed on the Wii U, that's all.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » February 10th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Yes, Wind Waker HD looked amazing on the Wii U.  But Wind Waker looked amazing on the GameCube, too.  There's probably no better 6th generation game that's aged better than Wind Waker (graphically speaking, at least).  Also, Nintendo was surprisingly loose lipped about the process of putting that game on the Wii U.  It didn't take them a lot of time and it was (relatively) cheap to do.  This isn't a game that was recreated from the ground up.  But Ocarina 3D was.  It was a bit risky at the time, since the 3DS was still $250 when Ocarina came out and the install base was so low, but after the price drop it was the game that every retro gamer wanted to have.  Now in 2015, the 3DS prints its own money.  The Install base is around 50 million and they just had to reuse the new engine they built for Ocarina 3D.  While they may be pushing people to mentally link Majoras Mask 3D with the New 3DS, remember that they're making two versions-- one will be compatible with the original system.  They'll sell a ton of copies on both 3DSs and I'm sure it will be a very lucrative move.

Compare that with the Wii U's install base that I believe is still under 10 million.  Nintendo is far more likely to take risks and create 1st party content for the world's current leading gaming platform.  Just from a desire standpoint, I agree with you.  It would be cool to have Zelda remakes on a more powerful console and see the details on a big HD screen.  Taking it a step further, I'd like to see A Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion 2, SMT IV, Persona Q and Fire Emblem Awakening on the Wii U.  But again, it just makes sense to get those games on the 3DS.  Despite being two years out of the gate, Nintendo sees games on the Wii U as a way to sell the system.  Third party developers and Nintendo themselves see putting games on the 3DS as a way to... sell the games.  The systems are already in peoples' homes.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » February 10th, 2015, 2:58 pm

I didn't realize that the 3DS was outselling the Wii U by such a large margin. So yeah, from a business perspective, now I can see why they would put the game on the 3DS. 

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 10th, 2015, 5:36 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]The Install base [of the 3DS] is around 50 million...compare that with the Wii U's install base under 10 million. It just makes sense to get those games on 3DS. Nintendo still sees games on the Wii U as a way to sell the system [but] putting games on the 3DS as a way to sell the games.[/QUOTE]

That is the conundrum Nintendo wants to avoid next generation. The more games on the portable, the more money they make there, but the less reason to buy the console. At some point, just make portables, but then mobile devices could become a lethal threat. A common architecture next gen might save the console biz without hurting the portable biz. Of course the console will be have less power, but that is part of their brand now.

When a console launches, games are investments, but yeah, two years in, we see where Nintendo is looking, and its not their current console.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » February 11th, 2015, 7:23 am

In all honesty, I somehow find it hard to enjoy those old remakes of 3D Zelda games... I prefer the 2D games. The 3D remake games always feel a little aged to me...

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 11th, 2015, 12:17 pm

[QUOTE=Captain_Crunch]
In all honesty, I somehow find it hard to enjoy those old remakes of 3D Zelda games... I prefer the 2D games. The 3D remake games always feel a little aged to me...[/QUOTE]

Ocarina of Time 3D looks beautiful, though! It could have been brand new in 2011 just going by how it looks. I'm not sure what you mean...

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 12th, 2015, 8:24 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]. A common architecture next gen might save the console biz without hurting the portable biz. Of course the console will be have less power, but that is part of their brand now. When a console launches, games are investments, but yeah, two years in, we see where Nintendo is looking, and its not their current console.[/QUOTE]

I thought the combined system was the plan next gen too, but on IGN's Nintendo podcast, the host made a really good point.  He said there are too many issues yet to do that anytime soon, especially for a company like Nintendo.  Take a Vita game.  Blow it up.  It looks like garbage.  Pure garbage.  And the Vita is WAY more powerful than the 3DS.  How do you solve that problem and still make something that scales down nicely?  How do you price something like Xenoblade X when it is sold as "portable" but is actually a console game with a multi-million dollar budget?  "Hey kids, spend $60 on this portable game that looks maybe okay, maybe, when you blow it up for the TV.  Don't worry though, it's portable, like your iPhone, because, you know, you won't bring your iPhone around instead.  With its $0.99 games."  

I think that the combined system is at least a full generation away. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 12th, 2015, 9:20 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]
 Take a Vita game.  Blow it up.  It looks like garbage.  Pure garbage.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's not true though! I play Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, and Persona 4 on my 50" and they all look really good. The native resolution of the Vita is 576p I think, but the Vita will scale up to 720p or 1080i. They don't look as good as PS3 games but they're a far cry from PS2 graphics. I'd say that image quality is pretty comparable to the original Xbox, but higher resolution.

Return to “Modern Gaming”