Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 25th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Let me know what you think about the review I just
posted.

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/movies/avgn.htm?dd=3

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 25th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Damn, I've been wanting to see this (and still will) but kind of sucks to hear about such a missed opportunity... I think the AVGN might have fit better trying to find some huge game score or something... Not saving the world. Still, I'll hold my opinion til I actually see it. Thanks for the review.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 25th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Have to very strongly disagree with your review, I thought the acting was pretty good and I laughed my ass off quite a bit(I found the general hilarious, especially him constantly losing limbs), I didn't have any issues with the story and didn't think the film was boring in the least.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » February 26th, 2015, 10:07 am

This seems like the cinematic version of the early rom hack scene, where everyone was so excited to be inserting profanity and gross out humor into classic games that they briefly recreated the glory of their actual childhoods. In grade school, for many kids, all of these things were a guaranteed laugh, an instant subversive high. 

And of course, some kids never kicked the habit.

This movie was a dream come true, for one of those kids, who never stopped dreaming of the kind of movie he'd like to make, one day. And if it lacks in chemistry, pacing, and genuine wit..well, that just proves we're seeing the original vision up on the screen, completely unfiltered by sanity or common sense.

I'd never torture myself by watching the entire thing from start to finish, but I'm glad I live in world where it exists.

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » February 26th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Is there a streaming option available? Blu Ray seems like dated technology. Maybe he should of put it out on VHS or Laser Disc. That would be funny.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 26th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Yes, the film is available to stream on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/avgn

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » February 27th, 2015, 2:05 am

Is it worth $4.99 to rent?  

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 27th, 2015, 3:47 pm

I think this is two movies.  The first 'buddy road trip' half has some B-movie charm to it.  Toss in some Gary Busey and it would be fun.  The conspiracy theory about why ET is bad is fine, the Nerd working at the GameCop, the 'give me a Rock, and make it Rolling', the warehouse people, even if they have PhDs, goofing off at work, the noisy 'love' scene, the frequent video game references, like the guy's house having a shower cam that made me think of Night Trap,  "The moment you share your joystick with a girl, she breaks it."  That's good B movie fun stuff. 

The second half goes from Gary Busey straight out to Randy Quaid zone though.  Blech. We have model rockets, a rubber co-star, and a giant that once fought Gamera.  That part needs Tom Servo and Crow trash talking over the dialogue track. That's probably where most of the money went too.

By the time the actual review of ET came up, in the credits, I was done with James.   When I think of AVGN now, this will come to mind.   Basically, you would be better off playing ET than watching the second half of this movie.

Also, when I think of AVGN, I think of NES, not 2600.  That an exec would want to get AVGN's endorsement to sell a bad video game is a bit of art imitating life, as there was a Cheetahman 2 controversy at one point with James.  I also noted a Pong console showing up several times, including the van...does James even review pong consoles? 

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » February 27th, 2015, 4:06 pm

There is indeed an episode where he reviews a metric ton of Pong consoles.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 27th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Also many people overreacted to the so-called "controversy", it was nowhere near as big as some of his detractors made it out to be.

Return to “Review Feedback”