Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 28th, 2015, 9:14 pm

This is basically a 1997 precursor to Alien Isolation (PS4).  Same premise and basic gameplay.  The game is spread over 4 discs!

The FMV looks good and the game is genuinely scary.  You have one of those beeping enemy detectors, but you can't tell which direction they're coming from.

The aliens are invisible and your gun is a piece of crap.  Also, the stage layouts are so confusing, the FAQ says you need to draw your own map.  Never a good sign.

goldenband1

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby goldenband1 » March 1st, 2015, 12:56 pm

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this review. I was lucky enough to pick up a cheap copy of Enemy Zero at a flea market a couple years ago; the manual is missing (readily available online) but the discs are all clean.

It comes from WARP, the same folks that gave us Trip'd, D, and a bunch of Japanese-exclusive 3DO games (one of which came with a condom as a pack-in item -- no, I'm not joking).

Rev1

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby Rev1 » March 1st, 2015, 1:28 pm

The second game in the D series. This is a really fun title and quite scary. It puts a lot of fear into the gamer with limited saves, invisible enemies, and some good voice work for a game in the 5th generation. I'm interested to see what you have to say on the game. If you want a really scary (and infuriating) time, the harder difficulties give you like 10 saves/loads max... which can make playing the game quite intense when you think you might die... 

Play the tutorial on the first disc....

Astrosmasher1

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 2nd, 2015, 7:54 am

Is that the one with the invisible enemies?  Also the action takes place in a small part of the screen?  If it is I thought it was a wasted opportunity.  It could have been a really good game if they had put it out on ps1.

Rev1

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby Rev1 » March 2nd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Yeah the enemies are invisible and you are supposed to know where they are by listening to the sound effects. You get sort of a beep, beep, beep noise and it picks up the closer they are. The whole point of the game is to do as little combat as possible and having to listen for your enemies is surprisingly scary. Apparently the game would have came out for the PS1 if the creator wouldn't have had a beef with Sony after he felt like they poorly ported D to the console. He solely made the next two D games (Enemy Zero and D2) for Sega consoles.

Astrosmasher1

Enemy Zero (Saturn)

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 2nd, 2015, 10:59 pm

Well I just want everyone to enjoy it as I thought it was a bit daft... though these days I like that idea a lot more.

Return to “Now Playing”