Getting an NES soon, suggestions for games?!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico1

Postby matmico1 » March 4th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Hey Fellow Gamers,

I am seriously into retro gaming now. I have one game system from every generation of consoles since the 2600. With the exception of the newest (PS4, Wii U, XBOX One) and the NES era. I have a 2600, Colecovision, Genesis, PS2 and Xbox 360. I have no interest in the current systems (as they don't seem much better than my 360) and will wait until the price drops till around $250.

I have never had an NES. But I want a game system from that era where Nintendo was the only MAJOR system. I played my 2600 like mad, then lost interest in games until the Genesis came out.

I already have a few games I plan to get for it, but I need more suggestions. Which games are great, yet affordable and easy to attain? Not interested in space games, sports games and the like. What suggestions do You folks have?

Thanks 

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 4th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Super Mario Bros.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 4th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Ninja Gaiden - cool cinematic cut scenes in which Tarantino borrowed heavily from for Kill Bill.  Hey, I wouldn't make that up.
Willow - a great Zelda / RPG mishmash
Strider - it out Metroid Metroid.  And I don't care what the Critic said about it.
Finding Nemo - what other game lets you ride tons of animals?
Duck Tales - a pogo hopping duck where you can collect oogles of money.

The other option is to go to the Critics list and sort by grade.  That's an easy way to get a great list quickly.

I didn't check for prices or anything, just the ones that quickly came to mind beyond the other obvious ones like Duck Hunt.  [smile]

and I just realized I referenced other NES games to describe NES games.  Apologies for failing in that regard as the references might be missed.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 4th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Here is a recent thread on another fellow gamer asking for NES suggestions:
http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/must-have-games-for-the-nes-7159528

I noticed that this will be your first Nintendo console. Perhaps you would enjoy hitting the big intellectual properties the NES became known for.  The Mario Bros games, Legend of Zelda, Bionic Commando, a Castlevania, Duck Hunt, Tecmo Super Bowl, Contra, etc.   Stay away from under rated, hidden gems, etc.  Find out if you like what made the console popular.

You also said you played the heck out of your Atari 2600 then lost interest.  What are your expectations going in to getting a NES?  If you know what you want out of your gaming time, then that might help you pick the games that will reward what you are looking for.

Also, while the NES is a good choice, and definitely the King of its day, there are other 8 bit options. If you find you like 8 bit gaming, consider a power base converter for your Genesis (if its a model 1) that will let you play Master System games.  Many can be played with a Genesis controller, and you might enjoy them too.  Not trying to spark a console war discussion, just nothing wrong with having more than 1 retro console per generation if you like that sort of thing.

Another option is a modern retro console like the Retron 3 that will let you play NES, Genesis and SNES games, and it top loads.  They will not be perfect, maybe using an NES-on-a-chip, but they have many things in their favor too.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 5th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Get a good duster to clean it.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Since the usual ones picked are fairly will known some more obscure but fun games might be useful. Here are a small list of nes games that don't get a lot of coverage yet are a lot of fun.

Shatterhand
Vice project doom
Jackal
Shadow of the ninja
Uninvited

Sorry I'm on my phone at work so I can't go in much depth but these games are with checking out. The first four are all action games with easy to pick up gameplay and are still really fun today.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 5th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Elevator Action

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Crystalis (action RPG), Little Sampson (platformer), and Lunar Pool (puzzle) are 3 3rd party classics that were either unreleased or butchered when released for other classic systems. Especially grab Little Sampson if you see it for a reasonable price, as it's usually expensive as Hell. 

In general, avoid licensed titles, unless they're from Sunsoft (Batman, Gremlins 2), Konami/Ultra (all but the first Turtles game, Batman Returns) or Capcom (Disney titles, Willow). 

Immediately grab a copy of Gyromite if it feels heavier than most carts - it contains a free Famicom adapter. 

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 7th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Burger Time

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » March 7th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Battletoads. You need to call Gamestop and ask for it, though.

Return to “Classic Gaming”