How your gaming changes over the years

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 1st, 2015, 6:33 pm

My parents were sort of the same way at first, my grandfather bought me a Genesis at a garage sale and my parents weren't too happy about that at first, but they eventually got over it.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 5th, 2015, 11:17 pm

1. Less patience. If a game doesn't appeal to me within a half hour I usually won't play it again. Games are cheap & I have a job and my own money now. No longer do I suffer and try to enjoy Top Gun (NES), because my mom spent $40 on it and I won't get another new game for awhile. I gave Bioshock Infinite an hour and was still walking around in the city doing nothing. Forget that. Time to move on.

2. Higher standards. Even though the industry expects me to lower my standards to that of what the kids have nowadays I won't do it. Fallout 3 & New Vegas were awesome! I want something new, but nothing else can compare. Instead of settling with something lame like Rage I'll just play more Arkanoid on my NES.

3. Specialized. I used to play all genres, but not so much anymore. I like Tactics games like Advance Wars. I like arcade games like Popeye and I like elaborate open world games like Fallout 3. For the most part I've given up on rpg's and on-rails games like Dead Space.

4. Picky. If you read 1-3 you've probably already thought that of me. At this point I know what I like and I'm particular about what I want. For example I grew disgusted with Skyrim which is extremely similar to Fallout which I absolutely loved. Why? One simple reason; unkillable characters. Also the quests were designed to make you think you could make choices when really you had to do them a very specific way.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 6th, 2015, 7:28 am

Unkillable...characters? Did I read that right or did you mean "unlikeable?"

Also, Fallout is an RPG through-and-through, so I don't think you've given up on them yet!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 6th, 2015, 11:59 pm

You made the right choice with Bioshock Infinite, it does not get any better as it goes on, and it has an incredibly stupid and nonsensical twist ending.

Though I do not think Rage was "lame" at all, I don't really see what kids have to do with anything, as most kids aren't going to be playing games like that(at least they shouldn't be).

I'm a bit specialized and picky myself, I was more well-rounded as a kid, but now I tend to focus a lot on shooters, but only ones that have some kind of campaign, if it's multiplayer only with no story like Shadowrun(360) or Planetside 2 then i'm not interested.

The Elder Scrolls series has never really appealed to me and Skyrim definitely did not live up to it's massive hype.

Pimphand_Gamester1

Postby Pimphand_Gamester1 » March 7th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I have gotten really picky. I seem to have more fun exploring well detailed worlds than anything else. Like AC: Unity...I loved the graphics and detail they put into it. I often just walked around and looked at everything, wishing I could go into first person mode. I then started playing Farcry 4 but very quickly lost interest. The characters, story, I just had no interest in. My exploration was limited until I unlocked the ability to travel further but I was feeling the Farcry 3 grind and lost interest after about 2 hours of play. I just flat out don't feel like firing up my PC since.

Maybe VR later this year will rekindle some interest, just depends but so far I don't see too many games on the horizon that's grabbing my interest.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » March 7th, 2015, 7:02 pm

I'm more free to play at my leisure. I remember as a kid getting pissed because my dad turned off the switch that my NES was connected to one night when I was up past my bedtime playing Zelda. It deleted everything in the game. Now I play when I want to play for the most part, and that's that. 

I'm more into video games at the age of 33 than I've ever been at any point in my life. 

When I was a kid, I just played what was out and enjoyed that. I never had any dates circled on my calendar like I do now. Heck, if I could find me a dancing scarecrow to fast forward time like there is in Majora's Mask, I'd make it March 31st so that I can play MLB 15: The Show.

I'm not as sober when I play games. Although it's been that way since I was 17. 

Now that I'm married and am no longer chasing tail, I find that video games are more satisfying to play, and I don't feel as if I ought to be doing something else. 

I get more nostalgic when I play Zelda. Always have been, but even moreso now. You know, your favorite stores close, others move in to take their place. That building you remember gets torn down. People grow up, people die, things change. But in Ocarina of Time, Lake Hylia will always be there. Castle Town will always be there. I can always see the running man in the field. Games are a refreshing constant in a life that's constantly changing. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 7th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Pimphand- Were you also admiring the numerous graphical glitches in Unity?[rofl]

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 7th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Ptdebate - yup unkillable. What good is an rpg if all you can is talk to immortal NPCs? Also you're right; fallout is an rpg through & through.

I can also relate to the nostalgia Herschie is writing about. When I play my NES I feel like I'm back in the 80's. Another radical bonus of being a retro gamer

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 8th, 2015, 1:07 pm

If anything, getting older allows you to enjoy classic games more.  With those, you can sit down for a half hour and have a full experience.  Last night I popped in Ex-Mutants (Genesis) and I was like, wow, this is fun!

With some of the newer games for the Xbox One/PS4, I have to make sure I have at least an hour or more to sit down and really get into the game.  Alien Isolation is like that.  I just can't pop it in on a whim.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 7:57 pm

I also find myself predominantly enjoying games that are more fast paced. To me, the gaming environment was just incredible in the early to mid 90s in particular. There's still a lot of games from that era I plan on getting.

Return to “Video Games General”