Best Basketball Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 2:39 pm

With March Madness in full effect and the NCAA Tournament inching closer (and the NBA winding down), the basketball season is really heating up. I've always been more of a college guy, especially lately, but I'll include both.

1) College Hoops 2k8 (PS3): I've only played the PS3 version, which I love. I know it got a poor grade in comparison to the 360 version I never played, and I was especially surprised by the 3 user ratings giving it a D+ (although my A+ gave it a boost), but I think it's an outstanding game despite some minor flaws. Definitely my favorite College Basketball game and could probably be graded higher.

2) NBA Jam TE (SNES): My favorite early 90s console bball game. Way better than the Genesis one, which has controller issues. I heard the Jag version is awesome.

3) Double Dribble (NES): Maybe it's nostalgia, but I always love playing this one.

Tron1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Tron1 » March 9th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Still playing NBA Live 06. Ever since 06 the Live series went to pot. Never enjoyed the 2k series. It felt like the animations took over the gameplay. Too scripted.

TV Sports Basketball (turbo grafx). Sure the Critic hated it, but I likes it. Try winning the championship with the Zombies & you can be a champ just like me.

Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 7:33 pm

I haven't played many NBA games lately. What's the best realistic NBA game in the last 10 years or so?Maybe I should check out NBA Live 06, anyone else care to chime in?

Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 8:01 pm

To be honest, I never really enjoyed the 2k NBA series either.

JustLikeHeaven1

Best Basketball Games

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 9th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Slam n Jam (3DO) - this doesn't have real teams or players, but it's a fun first, arcade oriented game of hoops.

Looney Tunes Bball (SNES) - this game is underrated but don't be fooled. This is a real solid game. I remember having some great two player battles.

NBA Street - the first couple games in this series were pretty well made.

NBA Jam - the most recent Jam games are a blast...almost as good as the original arcade games.

Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:04 pm

I loved Slam N Jam in the arcades. That's a game I should get. Boy, the 3do really had some good games.

Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Actually, it was Run N Gun I remember from the arcades. Apparently Slam N Jam was sort of a spiritual successor. While we're on the subject, Arch Rivals was a great arcade basketball game.

Voor1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Voor1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:22 pm

I really like NCAA basketball for Super Nintendo. It was a bit weird in that it followed a "behind the back" view of the player with the ball, but it was less confusing than that sounds.

Like baseball games, this genre got too realistic for it's own good.

Tron1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Tron1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:44 pm

Run in Gun in the arcades was fun, but I don't know of a console version.

Arch Rivals on the NES is pretty fun. I'll agree w/ that recommendation.

If you get NBA Live 06 go w/ PS2 or maybe GameCube. 360 version was garbage. The worst part of 06 is its nearly impossible to block jump shots, but dunks and layups can be blocked rather easily. The other bad part of 06 is that the rebounding is scripted. Literally the ball will go through your hands to another player. Shooting, dribbling, passing and playin D is pretty good though. The dynasty mode is good. You'll want to adjust the sliders though and that takes some time tweaking the game. For example I put offensive rebounding near zero for both me and the computer and still there are plenty of O-Rebs.

That SNES NCAA game is really weird. I think of it as the Twilight Zone of basketball video games. It's cool. It's basketball, but it's just not right.

Jon1

Best Basketball Games

Postby Jon1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Yea NCAA Basketball for SNES is kind of cool. I keep thinking maybe there were some great NBA games that I sort of overlooked due to my pessimism with modern gaming; I haven't checked one out since the late 90s. But maybe I was right. They're just too modern and too many stupid options.

Return to “Video Games General”