Nintendo coming to mobile devices?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I have mixed feelings about this!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/nintendo-partners-with-dena-to-develop-mobile-phone-games/

On one hand, I don't want Nintendo to become the next Sega, who is generally regarded as a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, if this is what they need to help them compete, it might be necessary.

Your thoughts?

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » March 17th, 2015, 8:20 pm

I just came here to post a topic about this, so I'm glad you beat me to the punch. I also have mixed feelings. On the one hand, Nintendo can always benefit from tapping into such a huge market. On the other, I kind of like the exclusivity of Nintendo. I don't want to see the characters and games washed out by overexposure.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » March 17th, 2015, 8:56 pm

This will probably make Nintendo a ton of money.  Their stock prices skyrocketed as a result.  So if you are investor in Nintendo (I personally cashed out long before their big drop) this is good news.  Since I'm no longer an investor in Nintendo, their financial success will mean nothing to me (as long as they stay in business of course). I care about if this will be good for gaming.

However, I dont know what they have in mind for cellphones.  Most cell phone games suck and seem to be more about revenue streams than quality.  I really hope Nintendo doesn't make any free to play games meant for nothing but a revenue source for cell phones.  I also hope they make games that actually make sense  for a cell phone (maybe a puzzle league or Kirby Canvas game for example) instead of just bringing over emulated NES or SNES games with a touch screen d-Pad and buttons. That would be terrible.

Nintendo is behind the times in most aspects, but I've never had a problem with that. If ripoff DLC, free to play scam games, awful DRM, boring grey shooters (which 12 year olds will cuss at you and call you gay in online), games released broken, and constant updates is what being current is, I'd rather be behind the times. I'm hoping Nintendo coming to cell phones is not going to be the start of the ruining of their uniqueness.  I hope this isn't just about revenue and nothing more.  I detest "free to play" cash grabbing games like Candy Crush Saga which seem to exist for no reason to get people addicted and paying.  I dont want the next Mario or Zelda (or even the next Puzzle League) games to be anything like that.  However, I assume Nintendo has seen the massive financial success of Candy Crush Saga and has to be jealous.  I hope they aren't looking to emulate them.  However, they may be turning down millions of dollars if they don't though.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 17th, 2015, 9:17 pm

A particular troll who disappeared off this forum once called games these days "Shallow iPhone Garbage", and he worshiped Nintendo.

What is he to say now?

I am not in the least bit surprised about this, gaming-primary handhelds were seeing bit of a wane in popularity. What the generation needs is a decent hybrid that doesn't push one note too far.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 17th, 2015, 9:59 pm

I'd be more worried if their free to play Pokemon Shuffle match 3 game wasn't quickly becoming my most played 3DS game.  I'd like to tell you what the revenue model is with that game, but I haven't even found out WHERE to go buy ANYTHING in that one yet, and I've got hours into it.  If they keep that kind of thing up (decent spin-offs with their characters that are high quality, but that are clearly not their primary games), they`ll be alright.  On the other hand, they also clearly had `play to win`in their free to play submarine game.  Given that one is their older attempt, I hope they take the Pokemon Shuffle route going forward.  

Voor1

Postby Voor1 » March 17th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I think it could work, if only because gamers are SO familiar with their games. I don't care for most "classic console" games for my phone, because they end up feeling weird, but I play Mega Man 2 on my iPhone all the time because I think the controls translated well.

I'd be down for some Super Mario 1-3, for sure. Please don't make this a Mario Party lovefest.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 17th, 2015, 11:36 pm

I wrote a huge response, but my cell phone froze up. Indicative of the crappiness that mobile games will house for Nintendo. This is a sad day for the future of Ninetendo as we once knew it. Short-term profits in exchange of the cheapening of their product. Not a good deal for those of us that actually value and want to buy video games.

The dream of the Wii U DS Player is dead. So is the hope that Nintendo would compile a collection of games via retail. "Free-to-play Mario" means limited or no AAA Mario games. Not enough people are buying Mario as it is. Now even less people will be willing to pay retail prices for Mario when they can get their Mario fix on a crappy mobile device. Nintendo can't compete with themselves so if they go mobile why would they still make AAA titles?

Nintendo avoided this route for good reason. Share holders win! Profits go up! Gamers lose?

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » March 18th, 2015, 12:24 am

From the same press release:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-nx-console/

Nintendo is focusing on another new console.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » March 18th, 2015, 9:05 am

[QUOTE=PinMike8666]From the same press release: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-nx-console/ Nintendo is focusing on another new console.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a coincidence.  My prediction is that Nintendo is going to exit the "dedicated handheld" arena and their next console will be a hybrid home console/portable system.  So, every game they will release will be playable on your tv or on the handheld.  Then, they will release bite sized portable games on smartphones. 

This actually makes a lot of sense and would be a very smart move for them.  There's no reason now why a full console game cannot be played on a portable, unlike years ago. 

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 18th, 2015, 11:10 am

This begins a new chapter in the Biography of Nintendo, where the M on Mario's cap is for mobile.

Nintendo seems like they are not spinning off a mobile brand, which they could. Mobile is not about maming one new highly polished Zelda game every 5 years. This will make Nintendo of 2016 lots of money, but does it bode for an all mobile software Nintendo in 2026?

Any thought on what games we will see?

Return to “Video Games General”