Looking back on the 7th Generation: PS3 vs. XBox 360 vs. Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 27th, 2015, 2:00 pm

I've seen this topic done a couple of times over the last 5 years or so.  But now that the 7th generation is over I'm wondering if anyone has changed their mind on whether they prefer the PS3, Wii or XBox 360.  Talk about games, system features, online, whatever....  Just tell the forum which console you preferred in the 7th generation and why.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 27th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Both the 360 and PS3 had gotten better with age, the Wii? Not so much...

The 360 had a solid Xbox Live arcade structure, you could use it as a jack of all trades media center, and it is super-cheap as a Netflix center. It is still a breeze to use.

The PlayStation 3 is a media powerhouse even ahead of the 360 in ways, you could stream games to the PSP/PlayStation Vita, and even run both PlayStation 1 and 2 games on earlier OEM's.

Wii? Heh. Decent fighter games, platformers, sports games were actually really fun on the Wii, but its online model was a joke.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 27th, 2015, 9:29 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]Both the 360 and PS3 had gotten better with age, the Wii? Not so much...

[/QUOTE]

I think it has aged incredibly well.  Break out Wii Sports for almost any group and they will STILL find it just as fun.  Xenoblade is still the best RPG of last generation.  Mario Galaxy is still one of the best looking games of the generation, and it is is SD.  A solid VC lineup is still an incredible thing to have with the wireless controllers.  Netflix and Youtube still work on there, making for a really cheap TV box most people already own.  Many of the models of it are backwards compatible to the Gamecube, which I think may be the best console library of all time.  I still love my Wii and use it all the time.  And sentences like that last one are still just as funny as they were when the name was first announced.  [smile]

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 27th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I just think the Game Cube aged better than the Wii. I never really got into the Game Cube but, honestly, I'd take that hiiiighly uncomfortable controller over the Wii's classic attachment. Then it's golden.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 27th, 2015, 10:36 pm

The Wii Classic Controller. What garbage. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 27th, 2015, 10:38 pm

To have to hook it up to the Wii Mote is a joke. The system sucks anyways. SUCKS.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 28th, 2015, 1:16 am

I'm in the camp that thinks the Wii hasn't aged well and will probably continue that trend in the future. The mandatory motion controls really broke most experiences for me. Why did they have to shoehorn motion controls into something like Donkey Kong Country Returns? A fantastic platformer that I never wanted to finish because I hated the control scheme so much. I use the Wii as a GameCube and for home brew/emulation. Very rarely do I play native Wii games on the thing. I will agree with Atari that Xenoblade was probably the best JRPG of last generation. And hey! It required a regular controller! I think if you compared the Wii's top 10 games to the PS3 and 360 libraries it can look like an okay system. After those top 10 games I think it drops in quality like a rock. The other two systems have much deeper libraries. Just my opinion.

I will give my full response in a bit.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 28th, 2015, 5:45 am

[QUOTE=JWK]I think if you compared the Wii's top 10 games to the PS3 and 360 libraries it can look like an okay system. After those top 10 games I think it drops in quality like a rock. The other two systems have much deeper libraries. Just my opinion. I will give my full response in a bit. [/QUOTE]
I think it pretty easily compares for top 25 as well.  IGN has an okay list on that front.  I think once you hit a top 40 or 50 games for a system that are really good, you're splitting hairs regarding if it is any good compared to another system (how many 360 or PS3 games did you really have time to play?).  I can't imagine having difficulty coming up with 50 great Wii games, and that's if one ignores the VC and Wiiware ones.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 28th, 2015, 11:58 am

I think the Wii was probably my favorite console from the last generation. I don't think people give the game selection on the Wii enough credit. There are dozens of solid titles for the Wii and most are affordable. The Wii also has a decent 3rd party selection of titles. Yes, there is a bunch of shovelware for the console but if you look deep enough you'll see that the Wii brought back many genres that hadn't had a voice on any other console for nearly two generations- Light Gun shooters, point and click games, and traditional 2D platformers. After that, more of those games came out on other consoles, but the Wii is what popularized them again (except point and click).

After that, the PS3 and the 360 are close seconds for me. There were a solid amount of games for both consoles. I really like the PS3's selection of JRPG's which weren't found on really any other console. The 360 had a solid selection of FPS's (if you like those) and had better online functionality.

Dave1

Postby Dave1 » March 28th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I'm in JWK's camp. I really, really, really loved a handful of games on the Wii, but like every Nintendo console since the SNES, there isn't a whole lot of diversity to the library relative to the HD twins. I only owned an 360 briefly during the generation, so by default the PS3 was my favorite. However, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the two games that I love and remember most from that time period. The Wii was worth owning for those two alone!

Return to “Modern Gaming”