New Message Boards Coming

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

Well the latest bill from my message board provider convinced me I need to start hosting my own boards NOW.

I have been working feverishly the last few days and I'm making steady progress.  I got phpBB3 installed and working on my domain.  Now I'm migrating all the old messages over.  This has been a chore.  Currently I'm seeing the old messages on the new boards but the names of the people who posted them aren't showing, and some other things are screwed up (like the ordering).  Oh well, I've come this far - no turning back now!

When I migrate over all the user accounts it's possible you will have to reset your passwords (best case) or re-register (worst case). 

I'm hoping to complete this project sometime next week.  When I'm ready I'll lock the old message boards so I can be sure I get everything.  There will probably be stuff lost like images, but at least the text should arrive intact, which is the most important.

I'll keep you posted on my progress but please expect some headaches/outages in the weeks ahead.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 3rd, 2015, 7:09 pm

We're behind you, Critic!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 4th, 2015, 12:06 am

That's fine, do what you need to do. In the long run it'll be for the better anyway.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Okay looks like I have the process for migrating the messages down. All the messages are showing up in order and with the correct usernames!  It's not easy to migrate 130K messages but it's working!

Next I will need to do some testing.  Also, I need to make the boards look at least vaguely like the Video Game Critic site.  Right now they are super generic.

Still on track for next week....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Okay guys, I think the new boards are ready for testing.  Go ahead and log on.  You'll need to reset your password to get on (unrelated to the password you used to log into this board).  
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/index.php

Feel free to peruse the new interface and post messages.  Moderated are not enabled. 

Let me know if you find any problems!  I'd much rather know now than when we go "live".
Keep in mind that the new board will be wiped clean when I do the REAL changeover next week.  So don't bother writing your life story or anything like that.

PS: Yeah I know the graphics need some work.  I'll worry about that later.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 4th, 2015, 4:53 pm

I wasn't able to log in. It said I had the wrong password and when I chose to reset, it said my account information could not be found.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2015, 4:56 pm

ptdebate - Please try again and let me know what happens.
I used some "force reactivation" option on your account.

You might need to try the "resend activation email option".

You'll need to use the original email you gave with your account.

If all else fails, just set up a new account.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 4th, 2015, 5:04 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]ptdebate - Please try again and let me know what happens.[/QUOTE]

Still no luck [frown]. It made me do a captcha because I had tried to login too many times but still it won't recognize my password.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 4th, 2015, 5:53 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]ptdebate - Please try again and let me know what happens.

If all else fails, just set up a new account.[/QUOTE]

I made a new account and posted a test. It seems to be working fine!

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » April 4th, 2015, 5:54 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]ptdebate - Please try again and let me know what happens.

If all else fails, just set up a new account.[/QUOTE]

Also, I know this is a silly question but is it going to migrate post count/join date as well or is everyone starting from scratch basically?

Return to “Video Games General”