New Forums Open for Business!

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer

Re: New Forums Open for Business!

Postby Gentlegamer » April 8th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Probably need to restrict new member permissions to only post in a "new member" forum to prove they are not bots.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Ugh what a headache! I had to come home from work just to clean things up a bit. I got rid of the spammer and his messages. I had to disable the quick reply option to prevent this. *sad face*

The good news is, the calvary has arrived. My trusty team of moderators is (mostly) back on the job and hopefully will help tame this wild beast.

I got feedback from a few people saying they did not receive confirmation emails when they tried to register. Please check your spam folders. I suspect my mail server might not be set up right.

If it persists I think me and the mods can confirm you manually. Feel free to send me an email.

Thanks for your patience!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » April 8th, 2015, 1:59 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this new set up is going to take a lot of getting used to.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2015, 7:03 pm

A few things...

I might have to change how people register, especially since some people are not receiving confirmation emails. How did the old system register users?

As for the images being too big, it's not quite as bad as I thought. You can actually scroll over to see the entire image. Still, I will see what I can do.

I think there are user ranks that will allow skipping moderation, but I'm still getting a feel for the capabilities of the software.

In time I think I'll be able to do a lot of cool things, like link votes to user accounts, and link forums comments directly to reviews. I'm sure I will be changing the color scheme too.

In the meantime I'm mainly focused on the core functionality and making sure people can get registered.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 8th, 2015, 7:35 pm

All of the posts from the old forums claim we signed up for this site in 1969. Funny, I don't remember this site being around back then. Or me, for that matter.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I wouldn't say ALL the posts, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few lost some info during the transition.

Has anyone tried these forums on a smart phone yet?
I suspect I'm going to need to do some work on that, but I'd like to know what it's like.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 8th, 2015, 10:30 pm

I've been on the forum quite a bit on my smartphone today. I thought it worked quite well. I didn't notice any problems and definitely works better than the old forum IMO. It seems full featured and I haven't run into any problems.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 8th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Is it possible to merge my new account with my old one ("goldenband1")? No worries if not, I just want to make sure I haven't done anything wrong.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Sorry, but I can't merge the one and new accounts. You did the right thing.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 9th, 2015, 10:11 am

I know the priority is registration, but some things for when time permits:

Legacy posts have lost quote formatting. For instance:
[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=rift]I mean the bottle bomb level should be taught in schools as an example of awful design.[/QUOTE] Bottle bomb level?[/QUOTE]
this may not be fixable, but it does make legacy threads more difficult to read.

Can the legacy forum names (e.g. rev1) be removed from the list of members.

I see bot and spider notes in gray parentheses under registered users - what is that?

I see Trololo is gone. He was pinging the old forum in its last weeks every 30 minutes or so. Hopefully whatever allowed that is fixed.

Are the old private messages lost? I will assume they are with new registration and old accounts gone. Thanks to all for many nice PM conversations over the years.

Return to “Video Games General”