2015/4/9: Playstation 4: Alien Isolation

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/4/9: Playstation 4: Alien Isolation

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2015, 7:28 pm

The game could have been better, but I can't deny it's extremely effective.
Don't play if you have a heart condition!

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2015/4/9: Playstation 4: Alien Isolation

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 9th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Yeah I have it on xbone. No clipping issues. The game is perfect. I give it an A. It is actually my pals. He comes round we play it together. I really like it. So we have been playing it for months.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 10th, 2015, 7:26 pm

This game looks really awesome and nerve wracking. I'm sure it'll be super cheap once I finally get a PS4/Xbox One. The odd part is that the picture you picked for the review kind of makes the game look like it is on the 3DO or something... Maybe use a different picture that displays the graphics better? Still, a solid review.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » April 10th, 2015, 11:50 pm

I definitely disagree with the notion that i'm somehow "doing it wrong" if i'm not scared by this game, even in a dark room by myself this game failed to elicit any true scares(though to be fair I do have nerves of steel, as no game/movie/tv show has ever truly scared me to date), honestly for me it felt like the game was trying too hard to scare the player by playing loud music every time you see the alien, for me the encounters were more annoying then tense and I quickly got tired of them(though I was happy when I finally got the tools to get the alien to back off) I actually enjoyed the encounters with the androids more.

Also this is the game where I finally understood why some people on this forum complained about games being too long, if there was ever a game I played that felt like it dragged on for longer then necessary, Alien Isolation is definitely it. Twice the game feels like it's building to a conclusion, only for something contrived to happen to further pad out the game's length(that whole flashback chapter could've easily been cut as it didn't really add anything to the game whatsoever), the excessive amount of backtracking during the third act definitely didn't help(and don't even get me started on that lame sequel-bait ending).

Also I encountered a number of glitches which really took me out of the game, aside from the occasional clipping, I also had to deal with objectives sometimes failing to load properly, guns that suddenly stopped working, and a bunch of technical issues ranging from terrible frame rates during cutscenes to textures failing to load, which in some cases led to entire ceilings disappearing. Out of all the AAA games i've played this was by far the glitchiest of them all.
Also for me none of the technical aspects of the game were particularly impressive, the graphics looked rather average compared to other 2014 releases. Most people made a big deal out of the game capturing the look of the films, but because I don't consider the films masterpieces like other people do(I think they're good films but kind of overrated), the game looking the films didn't really enthrall me all that much.

I know it sounds like I hated the game, but I found it decent enough to keep playing to the end, I just do not think it lived up to the massive hype, and I think some people gave it a free pass simply because it wasn't Colonial Marines(which i actually enjoyed slightly more then this game to be honest, and ironically enough I didn't encounter a single glitch in that game),

Sut

Postby Sut » April 11th, 2015, 4:51 am

Well once I've finished with GTA V it's looking like a toss up between this or Bloodborne for my next PS4 purchase. I like how it sounds and I generally play games at night so should be superb.
Vexer thanks for the alternative view but to me the game sounds appealing. Also perhaps some the more technical issues is because your playing it on a last generation system ? Perhaps the developers didn't put as much effort into the 360 version compared to the PS4/Xbone ? Just a thought not saying this is definitely the case but it does tend to happen towards the end of a systems cycle.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » April 11th, 2015, 9:05 pm

I don't know about that, i've also heard PC users complain about the game crashing, so I don't think it's unique to last-gen versions. Out of all the last-gen ports of next-gen games that i've played, Isolation is by far the only one that I ever encountered major glitches on, all the other ones i've played(I.E. Far Cry 4, Evil Within, RE: Revelations 2, Battlefield: Hardline, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Murdered Soul Suspect, etc) worked just fine. Also even if I didn't encounter any technical issues, the game still has numerous other faults that hold it back.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 22nd, 2015, 7:44 pm

Spoiler alert.

I am just going to say this.

Wow was that a disappointing ending. The most disappointing ending since Borderlands.

Return to “Review Feedback”