ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby Alienblue » September 24th, 2006, 1:04 pm

I don't like most mordern 3-D games still. Sorry, but the majority of shooters/platformers are more like DVD movies with a tiny bit of interactivity thrown in. I'll stick with RAIDEN.

But RACING games, I must admit, have ALWAYS been better in 3-D. Face it, most "overhead" racing games are more like weird maze games where you must avoid other cars rather than ghosts!

Of all the racing games I have played from Pole Position to Daytona and Ridge Racer to DT racer, ToCa Racer 3 is THE ABSOLUTE BEST racing game I've played. This was the first disc I ran on my new PS2 and I'm glad it was cause it has me hooked big time! There's practically nothing to gripe about-the graphics are beautiful and the "acting" scenes are not mini-movies but are an important part of the game, as when your Aussie mechanic gives you driving tips. Cars? You can race everything from high speed turbo charged cars to GO-KARTS and trucks! If you damage the vehicle, you see it and FEEL it! Just about every dang track you could want from well known speedways to back roads-and challenging with dead ends and sharp corners! I have only had this game a few days so I'm sure I've not seen a third of what it really has! -And controls are spot on, older PSX racers always left me feeling helpless but these vehicles respond beautifully to the analog pads; better with a real wheel, I'm sure!

If, like me, you "don't like 3-D" - they ain't all bad, that's for sure! And if you have a PS2 and like RACING even just a little teeny bit-GET THIS GAME AT ANY COST! 'nuff said!

Grade:A+

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 24th, 2006, 11:51 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I don't like most mordern 3-D games still. Sorry, but the majority of shooters/platformers are more like DVD movies with a tiny bit of interactivity thrown in. I'll stick with RAIDEN.

Grade:A+[/QUOTE]

You need to get a Gamecube if you don't like cutscenes. First-party Nintendo platformers hardly have them. Nice review, by the way. I guess I'll be searching for that one on ebay.

Alienblue

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby Alienblue » September 25th, 2006, 6:28 am

a-thanks for the advice but, the reason I wanted a Ps2 MAINLY is the many 2-D shooters and compilation discs that gamecube does not have. I mention the cutscenes from games like 007 and Enter the matrix , but these games were GIFTS and I certainly am not dissing a gift! (I actually love bond enough to enjoy "watching" the game, and Matrix does have some cool gameplay)- I'm just pointing out, this is one reason I prefer older games to todays. Like on 16-bit games, usually there would be a quick "cinema" type opening but from then on it was all gameplay. I'm just worried the world is heading towards more and more PASSIVE entertainment (you just sit in an easy chair and yell "left! Right! Open!" -that's GAMING? Not to me.) Still, I was extremely appreciative of this gift (who wouldn't be!?) and Toca 3 and DT racer and ACE COMBAT 4 more than make up for the other 2 games!

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 26th, 2006, 12:14 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I'm just worried the world is heading towards more and more PASSIVE entertainment (you just sit in an easy chair and yell "left! Right! Open!" QUOTE]

Then you should get a Wii when it comes out. It will in no way be a PASSIVE system. (under federal law "a" must plug the Wii on every page of these forums)

bluemonkey1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 26th, 2006, 3:35 am

He's not talking about physical inactivity, he is talking about gameplay inactivity.

For example something like Dargon's Lair I would imagine is what he is worried about.  There will be just as many of these types of games on the Wii.  In fact maybe more.  Look at games like the Wii Sonic or the Wii Tony Hawk's.  Both of those games have had a lot of the gameplay from the series stripped out to make the Wii versions.  Since this isn't a Wii topic I feel allowed to post this .

Alienblue

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby Alienblue » September 26th, 2006, 4:45 am

Ouch! You plug your Wii into your PC? Doesn't that hurt, mon?

I really wish Nintendo had kept the Revolution moniker. There IS something in a name, it sounded sooo much cooler - I mean listen-
REV-O-LOO-SHUN! .. wee..... which would YOU pick?

Seriously though, I love my DS and if and when I get a next gen system it is most likely to be the wee Wii. De yee see? Gee!

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 26th, 2006, 11:31 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

He's not talking about physical inactivity, he is talking about gameplay inactivity.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I'm talking about both. Since the Wii is not as powerful as 360 and PS3 cutscenes will be less common, and gameplay will be put first.

bluemonkey1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 27th, 2006, 5:14 am

"Yes, but I'm talking about both. Since the Wii is not as powerful as 360 and PS3 cutscenes will be less common, and gameplay will be put first."

This makes no sense since.  Look at the FF games.

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 27th, 2006, 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

"Yes, but I'm talking about both. Since the Wii is not as powerful as 360 and PS3 cutscenes will be less common, and gameplay will be put first."

This makes no sense since.  Look at the FF games.

[/QUOTE]

I know well that the FF games could be put on the Wii; if you recall correctly I was saying the Wii was plenty powerful before. What I think is that since on PS3 and 360 they have more room on the discs for incredible detail there will be cutscenes to fill the extra space. They probably aren't going to make 80 hour games with that extra room.

sega saturn x

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby sega saturn x » September 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm

a it doesn't seem like you're using ANY sort of logic here other than your love for nintendo.  The jump from what blue posted and what you responded are almost herculine in scale.  The game cube had lots of movie "games" just look at any of its rpgs.  And I highly doubt that would change for any reason.  All systems have those kind of games if you don't like them don't play them.  It's mostly a japanese developer thing anyway.  Stick to good western and europe made games and you should be set.

Return to “Reader Reviews”