Remembering the Xbox

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 27th, 2015, 4:25 am

I know there are several ways, the easiest supposedly being through a Splinter Cell exploit.
I own two modded X Box systems, the first I bought from a friend, the other from Ebay.

C64_Critic1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby C64_Critic1 » April 3rd, 2015, 11:30 am

Thanks for the info!  I have ordered a copy of the Splinter Cell game but still need to look at getting the bigger hard drive.  Yeah, it would be much quicker and easier for me to just order one - and don't think I didn't seriously consider it - but I thought it might be a fun project and learning experience to hack my way through it.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out whenever I get around to it!

Oltobaz1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 5th, 2015, 5:44 am

Let us know how things turn out!

Leo1

Remembering the Xbox

Postby Leo1 » April 6th, 2015, 4:39 am

One thing that I look back with a bit of regret where the Xbox is concerned, is that amongst all its modernity, it's the last console that relied on wired controllers. 

The Xbox 360 launch convinced me that wireless controller technology had been perfected, so I stopped actively avoiding them and immediately started to see what consoles of the preceding generation that I could upgrade to wireless technology. But alas, where as I found excellent options for both my GameCube (Wavebird) and PS2 (Logitech, and then later, officially licensed controllers from Force 2), I never did find something suitable for the Xbox.

The Logitech option reviewed noticeably poorer than their contemporary PS2 offerings, and by the time I became interested, was long out of production anyways. I nearly missed the boat with the Wavebird as well, before finding them after months of looking at a Wal-Mart in Canada (There were several more, I regret that I didn't pick up two).

Wish someone had made an adapter for Xbox 360 wireless controllers (And with its active hacking community and the unavailability of NIB 1st party Xbox controllers, I'm surprised it hasn't happened).

Turbosega-16

Re: Remembering the Xbox

Postby Turbosega-16 » April 12th, 2015, 1:40 pm

The Xbox had a few different third party wireless controllers that were great. They work just like the wavebird by plugging in a dongle. Mad Cats made one and so did pelican. I use them on my Xbox kiosk so you don't have to be perched up right next to it.

The best controller I've found for Xbox though is the Street Fighter 2 15th anniversary arcade stick. I bought a set of these to play mame and other emulators on my modded Xbox. They are incredibly high quality and make even my $200 ps3 arcade stick look like a baby toy. They only run about $75 each on ebay.

C64_Critic

Re: Remembering the Xbox

Postby C64_Critic » July 26th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Oltobaz1 wrote:Let us know how things turn out!

The first phase of the experiment is over! I put UnleashX on the Xbox as a dashboard and installed Coinops 7 Lite, which is essentially a MAME emulator preloaded with ~700 games from both home systems and coin-op standup games. I had to delete a few to make it fit on my stock Xbox hard drive, but even so it's probably more games than I'll ever play in my lifetime. Coupled with the Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick that Turbosega-16 recommended, I'm very pleased with the results! I took it over to the Critic's house the other week to get his take on it and we played several games head to head - he was loving the game selection! It was enough of a success that I think I'm going to move on to phase 2; replace the stock hard drive with a 500GB SATA drive I have laying around, and install Coinops 7 Massive which has over 4000 games. It's only about 60GB in size, but the extra room on the hard drive will also allow me to add additional ROM's for games that aren't included as well as copy original Xbox games directly to the hard drive so I can stash the CD's for good. If anyone has a spare Xbox sitting around, unused and unloved, you could do worse than to softmod it and make it into a fully functional arcade emulator.

Return to “Classic Gaming”