The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 26th, 2015, 1:37 pm

You could fit a whole Game Cube into a PSP-Sized enclosure. It is probably the only disc based console that could safely transition, by hand and workshop, into a pocketable design. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 26th, 2015, 6:08 pm

I think the gamecube is a great console but it is definitely getting more expensive to collect for. I remember when places like Gamestop were literally giving away copies of Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, and Metroid Prime, and now they are all inching up in price (especially WW). Still, I great console. It also had solid graphics and minimal load times.

LoganRuckman

Re: The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Postby LoganRuckman » April 13th, 2015, 9:57 pm

So, I got a GCN for a decent price recently and two controllers and a memory card. So far I have Luigi's Mansion, Soul Caliber 2, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Gems, and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. Good times, can't wait to get some more games.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 14th, 2015, 8:47 am

Sorry but I think the GameCube is the weakest of the sixth generation consoles. Generally it's multiplats were the weakest and it suffers from 'Nintendo syndrome' ie it's best games are first party games but if your not into Nintendo's main IP's it doesn't have as much to offer as the other consoles of the generation.
Not saying it's a bad console, it's far from it but I've not thought much of any Nintendo console since the SNES. Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, next generation rinse repeat, ad infinitum.
I've always been baffled by North America's affection for Nintendo. The NES and SNES were both awesome but they've been very ordinary since, never bad or awful just ordinary.
Just my two cents.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 14th, 2015, 5:13 pm

One thing to note about the gamecube is the rising prices for all of the main games for the console. I remember when Wind Waker was like $5 and now it's priced around $50. The time to buy NGC games cheap has passed. Thankfully, I only have a few more games on my radar for the console but they'll probably cost an arm and a leg to get.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 15th, 2015, 4:32 am

Rev wrote:One thing to note about the gamecube is the rising prices for all of the main games for the console. I remember when Wind Waker was like $5 and now it's priced around $50. The time to buy NGC games cheap has passed. Thankfully, I only have a few more games on my radar for the console but they'll probably cost an arm and a leg to get.

Found this out the hard way when I was trying to find "Wind Waker". You see, I used to be a total slob with my games; you'd find them under my bed, covered in dust, scratched to hell. If I was lucky enough to have the box, rarely would it have the actual game in it. Nowadays I take much better care of my games, keeping them in near mint condition in the correct box. I'm glad I do now that these games aren't dirt cheap the way they used to be.

Perhaps I ought to stock up on PS3 and 360 games now before the price skyrockets on them in about five years.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 15th, 2015, 10:26 am

I think the best time to buy ps3 and 360 games will probably be in about a year. Around that time there should be A solid selection of ps4 and xbone games and places like GameStop will be trying to get rid of the last gen games. They are dropping but I think in a year they will hit their lowest prices.

jon

Postby jon » April 17th, 2015, 8:49 pm

I think it's funny that games for a lot of old systems now are going for probably close to what they were at retail. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it. It's like buying a new system and games at the same prices. Anyways, I must say that after the N64, the Gamecube is the last system that I have fond memories of, that felt like an old school system.

Maks

Postby Maks » May 25th, 2015, 5:53 pm

I don't know if I'd say most underrated console ever, but I do agree that it is underrated. I ended up getting a GC from a buddy in 2005 with a bunch of games on the cheap. I remember getting hooked on Mario Golf, so much so that at Christmas time I bought the bundle package with 2 controllers and Mario Kart DD and resold my buddy's unit on EBay. The first party games are worth the price of admission alone. My interest in modern gaming was waning at the time due to all the FPS games, so it was refreshing to get back to the types of games I grew up enjoying. And let's not forget the beauty of the Wavebird controller.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 26th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Twin Snakes is a system exclusive that definitely interests me being a MGS fan.

Anyone played or own it ? How does it compare to the PS2 MGS titles and indeed the PS1 original ?

Return to “Classic Gaming”