Nice mention of Dr. Mario on local CBC

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever

Nice mention of Dr. Mario on local CBC

Postby Atarifever » April 17th, 2015, 10:26 pm

I always like when you find out someone you wouldn't expect to be a videogame fan actually is one. This morning, there was a story on the local CBC station about a respected CBC radio host who died last year. First of all, he was a great radio host. I listened to him very frequently, and felt very surprised and saddened by his untimely (and incredibly quick) death to cancer. So it was nice in their story about him (his daugther did a blog post for them about him) to see that he had something in common with me, in his love for a videogame of all things. He loved Dr. Mario on N64 so much, that in her blog post about her very respected father this woman spends a couple paragraphs on his love of that one game. On the news segment about him this morning, the two anchors and the weatherman talked about just that part for a couple of minutes, as apparently it was fairly well known to most people there. Here's the article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/remembering-john-furlong-gadfly-journalist-bruins-superfan-and-my-dad-1.3030657

How much did he love Dr. Mario? This much :) :
TVburn.PNG
TVburn.PNG (125.62 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

Rev

Re: Nice mention of Dr. Mario on local CBC

Postby Rev » April 17th, 2015, 10:51 pm

One of my old friends has a grandmother who used to play Dr. Mario all the time (SNES version). She was so insanely good at that game she could make it into the much higher levels (like 30+). For an older lady in her late 70's, early 80's, she had game. I could barely make it past the first 10 or so levels....

As for this story, it's really cool to see unusual stories like this. You don't see a lot of people 50+ playing videogames, especially well. I also like the fact that he was interested enough in other groups like the LGBT community to help give them a voice. He sounded like a great guy.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » April 17th, 2015, 11:17 pm

Rev wrote:One of my old friends has a grandmother who used to play Dr. Mario all the time (SNES version). She was so insanely good at that game she could make it into the much higher levels (like 30+). For an older lady in her late 70's, early 80's, she had game. I could barely make it past the first 10 or so levels....

As for this story, it's really cool to see unusual stories like this. You don't see a lot of people 50+ playing videogames, especially well. I also like the fact that he was interested enough in other groups like the LGBT community to help give them a voice. He sounded like a great guy.

One of the few games my Dad has ever taken an interest in was Dr. Mario on Gameboy. He played a good deal of that at one point (years and years ago now). I also had an aunt who was great at NES Tetris. Her husband (my uncle obviously) was incredibly good at Dunk Hunt. Like insanely good. Outside of facebook games though, none of them play anything now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2015, 9:34 pm

This is my wife's favorite game of all time. Once she gets started, she can't stop.
She's playing right now as I type now. I can here that annoying music emanating from the other room. Ugh.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » April 19th, 2015, 6:08 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is my wife's favorite game of all time. Once she gets started, she can't stop.
She's playing right now as I type now. I can here that annoying music emanating from the other room. Ugh.

Annoying music? In Dr. Mario? I always thought it had the best music. Glad to hear your wife games a little. Mine is still playing the new Animal Crossing (551 hours and counting :) ).

David

Postby David » April 20th, 2015, 3:35 am

I was playing Dr. Luigi with my wife tonight, and before we played I just figured I would win most games because she doesn't play anything other than Mario Kart once every couple months. Well, I was quite surprised when she started kicking my ass and reeled off five or six wins to start.

Atari - I wish mine would play Animal Crossing so I could get into it with her. I tried to get her to play on DS - didn't work. Then 3DS - didn't work. Then I tried Disney's Magical World on 3DS - nope. I even bought her the pink, limited edition 2DS with the Mickey carrying case. I don't think it's going to work...

Return to “Video Games General”