It Follows (2015 film)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

It Follows (2015 film)

Postby ptdebate » May 7th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Have any of you horror buffs seen this one? It's an aesthetic and mechanical masterpiece in my opinion if not groundbreakingly original. I'm totally drunk on the soundtrack, cinematography, and set design, but slightly underwhelmed by the script.

In a time when so few good horror movies are released (last year's Babadook was the only recent classic I can remember), movies like this should be celebrated.

Rev

Re: It Follows (2015 film)

Postby Rev » May 7th, 2015, 10:57 pm

I saw this movie as well and I thought it was great. I actually went back and saw it the very next week with a different friend. I thought the camera work was awesome and it really reminded me of Drive in how the movie was approached. Everything about the movie really screamed 80's. I also loved how the movie was pretty hard to pinpoint an exact time period for. There were some small indicators that the film took place around the present (the sister's clam shaped cell phone was probably the biggest one) but then again every single tv in the movie was a tube tv, the locations didn't really scream out 2015, everything seemed 80's/early 90's.

The horror aspect of the film was also really well done. If you've seen a lot of horror films it is really easy to get used to all the blood and gore, so suspense and the unknown always get under my skin the most. I think that is why films like this are the most effective. A lot of the more successful horror movies really push what you can't actually see or what you are never quite sure of. The fact that you were never quite sure about which people walking around were "actually It" really added suspense.

Some things I noticed in the movie that left me with questions were:

1. How did the guy who gave the girl the "IT" STD still see "It" so frequently. He said in the movie how he had continued seeing it but he didn't live too close to her (he obviously went to a lot of trouble to pick someone not too close to him to give the curse to since the police were looking for him). If "It" followed her around wherever she went why did he still see it so often? Did "It" continue to haunt the people who were infected by showing up from time to time? For example, when the man was standing on the main girl's roof before she went to the pool with her friends for the big confrontation.

2. Did the guy pass the curse onto the hookers towards the end of the movie?

3. Obviously, logic was a bit thrown out during certain parts of the movie because any logical person would go on road trips/plane trips to put quite a bit of distance between himself/herself and it; I can understand why this wasn't brought up, since it would have killed a lot of the suspense but yeah...

4. Could you still pass "It" on to other people if you slept with multiple people while "It" was following someone else?

Just some things I thought about through my viewings. I can't wait to buy this when it comes out.

ptdebate

Re: It Follows (2015 film)

Postby ptdebate » May 8th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Rev! I'm glad this movie is getting the attention it deserves. I haven't been this excited about a Blu Ray release in a long time--I'm literally counting the days.

The thesis statement of It Follows, that asking more questions than offering answers, is brilliantly validated by how much it accomplishes with so little. The basic horror blueprint of kids running from something scary is executed with such style and confidence that it magically feels fresh again. Detroit as a setting is perfect for horror and the entire pool scene at the end was an aesthetic tour-de-force.

Return to “Other Media”