Favorite YouTube Gamers?

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer6

Re: Favorite YouTube Gamers?

Postby Vexer6 » May 7th, 2015, 2:34 pm

You shouldn't rely on his first impressions videos as they are not a good representation of his review style(he doesn't really do many videos like that anymore), and personally I can't tell just by looking at someone playing a fighting game whether they are "mashing" or not.

Here's his recent review of Mortal Kombat X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_2Qy-_Sfqc

Voor

Postby Voor » May 8th, 2015, 6:35 pm

My favorite is AVGN and James and Mike, though I admit I admit I'm an overall fan of James' work as a whole....not just the nerd videos.

I tried JonTron, and while and I see the appeal and think it's pretty clever, it's a bit too hyper for me.

Pewdie pie? I made it about 30 seconds. I actually prefer "play through" videos without any commentary.

Angry Joe? I watched his MKX review and just found it very boring and unfunny.

Irate Gamer? Too much drama for me to enjoy and just feels like a poor AVGN ripoff.

I'll check out some of the others listed here.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 9th, 2015, 12:49 am

I like "let's play" videos. I just want to see how the game plays without commentary.

I'd be interested in watching reviews, but I'd like them to be on-point & practical. Things like gameplay, controls and actualy reviewing the game. I'm not interested in jokes or social commentary. I don't find watching people playing video games to be entertaining. I just want to know if the game is good. Any suggestions?

nesfan

Postby nesfan » May 9th, 2015, 3:50 am

My top 3 favorites are Happy Console Gamer, Game Sack, and Retsupurae.

I like HCG because he always seems so enthusiastic to talk about games. So I guess he wasn't messing around when he called himself "Happy" Console Gamer. Also I feel like he and I have very similar tastes in games so I like just about every game he talks about. I also like his videos about anime and DnD.

I just recently started watching Game Sack and I am hooked. They just know so much about games. Every time I watch one of their videos, I learn about games that I never heard of before and then stick those games on my ever-growing wishlist. And it's also just fun to hear them talk.

Retsupurae is like Mystery Science Theatre 3000 but instead of commenting over bad movies, they comment over bad let's play videos. They also comment over bad or cheesy video games. I recommend their videos "Let's 'ave a carriage ride", "Super Bummerman 2", "Mario, Party of One?", "Adults React To PewDiePie", and "A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil".

I also like AVGN, Happy Video Game Nerd/Stop Skeletons From Fighting, Metaljesusrocks, and all of the Normalboots guys. As for let's players, I watch Pinkkittyrose, Roahmmythril, and raocow.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 9th, 2015, 11:34 am

nesfan wrote:I just recently started watching Game Sack and I am hooked. They just know so much about games. Every time I watch one of their videos, I learn about games that I never heard of before and then stick those games on my ever-growing wishlist. And it's also just fun to hear them talk.

I agree completely with Game Sack. I've learned a ton from their reviews and watching the videos on the Sharp X86000, Sega CD, and even there most recent PC-FX. I love how they go through a wide selection of games on their videos which is really helpful for some of the more obscure consoles. One thing I'm a bit iffy on they choose their games, is going over games with huge language barriers and they pretty much can't figure out how the game can work. They usually do this on their Left in Japan videos and sometimes on their console specific videos. I wish they would shuffle those games off their list and instead pick ones that they can understand, but that is a very minor complaint. Their videos are awesome and their bad acting is hilarious.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 10th, 2015, 1:02 am

I actually don't mind Irate Gamer that much, I think the hate he gets is a bit overblown(there's actually a website dedicated to hating on the guy, that seems a bit extreme), yeah he was a rip-off of AVGN in the beginning, but that's no longer the case.

He has some genuinely good reviews(the Home Improvement one being my favorite).

I also like his History of Video games series, though I wish there wasn't such a huge gap between episodes.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 10th, 2015, 3:16 am

A couple of good ones which haven't (yet) got a massive subscription base.

Chinnyvision - covers a lot of retro systems but he mainly compares games across the 8-bit home computers. If any of you are interested in Euro retro gaming it's well worth checking out.

Implant Games - Short 3-4 minute reviews which are right up my alley when you just want to pass a bit of time. Very laid back style but also very knowledgeable he also covers a nice selection of systems.

Steve Benway - He's not very active at the minute but he has literally hundreds of videos uploaded for most systems. Most of his videos are first plays which can be either very entertaining or frustrating when he cannot figure something out when it seems (to you) obvious. Again very knowledgable guy with a very British sense of humour.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 10th, 2015, 11:12 am

I also used to be a big fan of Armake 21(his review of Hour of Victory was a stand-out), he covered both modern and retro games, either ones that sucked, or ones that he found underrated(I was quite surprised to see him give Vampire Rain a positive review).

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 10th, 2015, 5:00 pm

I'm going to say something very controversial.

I like PewDiePie. I find his unabashed, unscripted silliness in reaction to videogames to be humorous. Watching his videos, especially the earlier ones, it doesn't look like he was ever motivated by money or trying to make a career out of playing games. Success found him because people liked his personality. It wasn't even because he's good at games because he's actually not! But that's all part of the fun.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 10th, 2015, 6:51 pm

ptdebate wrote:I'm going to say something very controversial.

I like PewDiePie. I find his unabashed, unscripted silliness in reaction to videogames to be humorous. Watching his videos, especially the earlier ones, it doesn't look like he was ever motivated by money or trying to make a career out of playing games. Success found him because people liked his personality. It wasn't even because he's good at games because he's actually not! But that's all part of the fun.

Seems there are two types of people in the world. People who like Pewdiepie's humor and wit, and those who just see him making weird faces and going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED]!!!" every time Slenderman pops up.

Return to “Video Games General”