Movies/TV you've exposed your kids to.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
zetax

Movies/TV you've exposed your kids to.

Postby zetax » May 10th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Kind of dovetails off the "watching Star Trek with your daughter" thread. What TV series and/or movies have you watched with your kids that they wouldn't have seen any other way?

A few come to mind in my case...

Gilligan's Island: my daughter loved these, watched all 3 seasons on DVD over and over.

Speed Racer: ended up getting all 5 years worth of shows. Pretty weird little cartoon.

Big Trouble in Little China: it's a goofy movie, but we end-up quoting all sorts of lines from it. Indeed!

Firefly: one of those short-lived cult favs, but actually pretty good.

Any others...

LuckyMan

Re: Movies/TV you've exposed your kids to.

Postby LuckyMan » May 11th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I showed my daughter some episodes of Twilight Zone. Now she's such a big fan she watches them herself on Netfilx.

Pink Panther film series with Peter Sellers. So funny!

Raiders of the Lost Ark. She probably would have seen this one eventually, but I had to convince her to watch it. Of course, she liked it so much she asked me to play the others afterwards.

Universal monster movies. I'm a big fan of classic horror films and so is she.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » May 11th, 2015, 8:08 pm

My kids and I have watched Poltergeist, The Goonies, Back to the Future, and E.T. to name a few. My daughter's favorite now is The Neverending Story :lol:

Voor

Postby Voor » May 11th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Yeah, my daughter is 9, and she is actually pretty fond of stuff that came out before I was born....Flipper, I dream of Jeanie, etc.

We recently watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I made her look away from the ending (where everyone's faces melt off). We watched Jurassic Park yesterday, which I was concerned about, but it's starting to show it's age, so it was OK.

I personally don't like scary stuff--horrors, graphic gore, etc--so we won't be watching that genre.

Somebody said never ending story---that's awesome!

Tron

Postby Tron » May 13th, 2015, 9:41 pm

How old is your daughter Lucky? I imagine she must be a little older to be able to appretiate the Twilight Zonee.

My girls are 6 & 8. We just watched Gremlins 1 & 2. They loved them. My youngest said they were a little scary. I remember being a little creeped out by the 1st gremlins when one of the Gremlins got cooked in the microwave. I was 7 when I saw it for the 1st time.

I bought the Muppets season 1 for us to watch. We've watched a couple episodes now & have enjoyed them. My oldest like Animal & I remember liking him when I was younger. Now my favorite is Gonzo. My wife likes Scooter. I like that they are only 30 minutes long. I like the Muppets & all, but a little bit goes a long way.

Next on my list is Ghostbusters.

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » May 15th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Tron wrote:How old is your daughter Lucky? I imagine she must be a little older to be able to appretiate the Twilight Zonee.

My girls are 6 & 8. We just watched Gremlins 1 & 2. They loved them. My youngest said they were a little scary. I remember being a little creeped out by the 1st gremlins when one of the Gremlins got cooked in the microwave. I was 7 when I saw it for the 1st time.

I bought the Muppets season 1 for us to watch. We've watched a couple episodes now & have enjoyed them. My oldest like Animal & I remember liking him when I was younger. Now my favorite is Gonzo. My wife likes Scooter. I like that they are only 30 minutes long. I like the Muppets & all, but a little bit goes a long way.

Next on my list is Ghostbusters.

Yes, my daughter's a teen now, but we watched a few of the movies I mentioned when she was younger...including Ghostbusters, which she also a big fan of. I'm sure your girls will love it.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 16th, 2015, 3:09 am

Tron wrote:We just watched Gremlins 1 & 2. They loved them. My youngest said they were a little scary. I remember being a little creeped out by the 1st gremlins when one of the Gremlins got cooked in the microwave. I was 7 when I saw it for the 1st time.

Ahh yes my daughter also enjoyed Gremlins 2. My wife told her the first one is scary so now she won't watch it. She won't entertain Star Trek or Transformers (original series of course) though boo!

scotland

Postby scotland » May 16th, 2015, 7:38 am

Lots of good ideas here, thanks.

My kids and I and have enjoyed the old 1960s Batman, Addams Family, and especially the 1960s filmation Spiderman with the theme song, 1970s Superfriends, Wonder Woman, Land of the Lost, the 1980s Ghostbusters cartoon (although it can be scary) and getting into the 1980s Transformers. Gilligans Island should be on my to do list.

I am also a fan of classic horror, and we have watched Svengoolie movies and others, like the suitmation era Godzilla and other older kaiju and Harryhausen movies. Harryhausen was just awe inspiring.

Oddly, the directed at kids movies of the past often don't hold up. The live action Disney movies of the 60s and 70s (except Mary Poppins) we've tried so far have not been enjoyed, and even some animated films like Lady and the Tramp, with its euthanasia scenes in the pound, was just mildly entertaining, and no one asked to watch that again.

The Looney Tunes that I watched growing up have also not been requested after watching a first time. I really thougt a road runner or elmer fudd cartoon (spear and magic helmet) was timeless, but maybe not. Its a reminder too that even the video games we love best will have a shelf life that will expire sooner than we think.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » February 4th, 2016, 6:41 am

I turned on Ghostbusters one day for my 5 year old son and was pleasantly surprised that the movie didn't frighten him ( although I swear his fear of the dark started not too long afterwards... oops). I keep on telling him we're going to watch Star Wars soon since I was even younger than him the first time I saw it on VHS (over and over again).

Twilight Zone is one of those series that I think really stands the test of time. It probably has to do with its reliance on suspense and paranoia more than special effects. The themes are still relevant today.

It's hard to believe Gilligan's Island isn't on tv anymore since it seemed like it was on at least once a day through the 90's. I was shocked to eventually learn that there were only 3 seasons.

Do any networks or Netflix show The Real Ghostbusters? That was an amazingly good cartoon.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 5th, 2016, 11:12 pm

My Twins are 16 now so they are older. Boy/Girl. When they were younger I introduced them to The Twilight Zone and they luv it to this day. My fave tv series of all time. It just doesn't get much better. Serling was a genius.

Now that they are 16 I will watch a fair number of R rated films with them, but very selective about it. No sex, no film where they can't complete a sentence without the F bomb. No graphic violence (unless it's important to tell the story) like Saving Private Ryan. Basically no gratuitous violence.

And they also enjoy old tv shows like The Rifleman and The Wonder Years. I am lucky!

Return to “Other Media”