My daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Voor

My daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek

Postby Voor » May 8th, 2015, 6:31 pm

I never gave it a fair shake growing up, but I enjoyed the last 2 recent movies (the JJ Abrams ones), and my 9 year old daughter stumbled across some old episodes on "meTV".

After watching a few episodes and REALLY enjoying them, we have decided to work our way through the movies (though we may stay away from the "next generation" ones).

The first one "Star Trek: the motion picture" got pretty negative reviews back in the day, but I really liked it. "Wrath of Khan" is regarded by many as the very best and we liked that one a lot as well, though the ending was certainly surprising. Got part 3 on the way now.

Any other fans??

scotland

Re: My daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek

Postby scotland » May 8th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Actually rewatching the MeTV episodes with one of my children. The enhanced special effects are done well, and pretty unobtrusive. Most of season 3 is disapppointing, but 1 and 2 quite good. The actress who played yeoman rand just passed away, leaving early in season 1 due to something ugly off set. They continued to use scripts written for her, like Galileo Seven, and its interesting to see how the casting changed things. MeTV also has Man from UNCLE, another show of the time with a protagonist russian, only a few years after cuban missile crisis. Just thought how interesting that is.

City on the Edge of Forever is often thought of as the best of the original series. I also really like Balance of Terror, This Side of Paradise, and Space Seed...oh and Bread and Circuses.

Enjoy the originals. Only a few cast members still with us. Shatner is still doing conventions. He is going to be in DC area this month. Getting to be "Last chance to see" for his convention days.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 9th, 2015, 1:38 am

I used to watch Star Trek (ST) w/ my dad as kid. Two years ago when my oldest daughter was 6 I watched it with her. Some episodes were a little scary for her, but she stuck around. She had a crush on Capt. Kirk. Can you blame her? He is so suave after all. She still asks to watch them with me. Maybe it's time we started watching The Next Generation?

Rev

Postby Rev » May 9th, 2015, 11:27 am

My dad used to watch the Next Generation and Voyager with us when we were kids. We saw all the episodes several times and we would stay up late watching them with our dad (we were like 5-6 years old and our mom was asleep). Those are some of my favorite childhood memories with my dad.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 9th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Yeah, I loved Star Trek when I was a kid!

The original series is fantastic. The same goes for the movies and Next Generation. After that I kind of lost interest a bit. Regardless, they are great stories and really captured my imagination as a kid.

The only Star Trek game I tried playing was the 25th Anniversary adventure game that came out. I don't think I really understood how to play it all that well. I tried but could never get into it. I remember there was a Next Generation game for the SNES but never tried that either. I wonder if that would be any good to try?

We saw the Wrath of Kahn in a drive in movie theater as a family. I loved that memory. Good times.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 10th, 2015, 3:34 am

Star Trek is truly an institution. I wouldn't dismiss the Next Generation movies. The chemistry isn't as strong as the original cast but First Contact is one of my favourite Star Trek films. When I was at home I would watch Star Trek every Sunday after tea and had all the movies and series upto Votager on VHS (in fact I still have them boxed up in my loft). I have re-purchased the movies on DVD since and got the newer (JJ Abrams) films on Blu-Ray can't wait to see what he does with Star Wars.

How I would rank the classic Trek movies:

1). Wrath of Khan
2). Undiscovered Country
3). First Contact
4). Voyage Home
5). Nemesis
6). Insurrection
7). Search for Spock
8). Final Frontier
9). Generations
10). The Motion Picture

LS650

Postby LS650 » May 10th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Voor

Postby Voor » May 11th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Glad to see so many trek fans. The more I watch, the more I appreciate it--the characters are just perfect representations of the different types of people and the unity they can have in working together for a common goal.

My daughter and I were playing hangman, and this was hers: "I have been, and always shall be, your friend." -Spock

GamingTheSystems

Postby GamingTheSystems » May 13th, 2015, 9:49 pm

I'm a Trekkie. I suggest watching the original series on Blu-ray because they have been painstakingly remastered in high def, something that MeTV won't be able to display. The series is pretty solid from the original series all the way through Deep Space Nine.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 14th, 2015, 1:33 am

Growing up on the The Original Series, its interesting to rewatch shows you know by heart. This show stands up so much better than say, the Irwin Allen shows of the time. The Prime Directive, a concept that developed over the first season, is both a plot device and a statement about colonial attitudes. However, some things stand out on how culture continues to change, like debating tribbles only in terms of their usefulness to people.

These rewatchings are highlighting the endings for me. Often, I find the stories conclude disturbingly, and I do not just mean in forced laughter at Spocks expense. In one episode, Kirk strands a person on a world with hundreds of automatons made in the image of his shrewish nagging wife. In another, Kirk and Spock light heartedly sentence a man, and not a bad man at all, to more than a decade of labor on a spacestation basically mopping up...when they could solve the issue with their crew and transporters in an hour and allow the spacestation to keep operating too. Time and again, the endings disappoint. Exceptions are episodes like space seed, balance of terror, city on the edge of forever, and some others, so its not a universal issue.

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy really did develop a sort of mind, heart and soul friendship that is just superb. By watching the show in syndication, over and over, their friendship is magnified until its hard to ever imagine them living without the other two. There might be other shows with great friends (House) or great teams (Scooby Doo) but are there any shows with this sort of freudian three part friendship?

Return to “Other Media”