SuperHero TV

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
scotland

SuperHero TV

Postby scotland » May 19th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Just had the season finale of Flash tonight. Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, Agent Carter, etc are over for the 2014/2015 season.

Any fans? Any reactions? I am still processing the Flash finale, which was the best of the shows I watched.

ActRaiser

Re: SuperHero TV

Postby ActRaiser » May 20th, 2015, 8:58 pm

They really out done themselves with Flash's season finale. I loved it. The paradoxes pretty much make the case for none of it to have ever occurred to begin with. But it was still fun! I read someone else's blog about the Flash finale and agreed completely. The Flash is a fun show. No matter how outlandish it is there are great nods to past comic fun which makes me love it even more.

Arrow - eh, outside of the first amazing season this one seems to have gone down hill. I still like it but am certainly not in love with it like I used to be.

Agent Carter - This one was okay. I liked it and will watch next season but could just as easily skip it.

Agents of Shield - the season finale was awesome. I liked how it closed lots of plot lines while leaving a few open for next season. They wrapped things up quite well and it turned back into a fun show. Most of this season dragged a bit.

Gotham is weird. Gordon's goofy grin and aw'shucks demeanor at times seems completely out of place with his driving determination to track down serial killers. The pluses are the Penguin, Riddler, Cat Woman, Alfred and a young Bruce Wayne. I could do without Fish or Gordon's stories but I can see how others would enjoy those.

I never tried out Constantine which is probably for the best as it wasn't renewed. :) I lucked out on that one.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 20th, 2015, 11:13 pm

I'm super (get it?) excited for Dragon Ball Super. A new Dragon Ball series that's actually canon and is actually created by Akira Toriyama (though I actually liked GT despite being non-canon)? Count me in!

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 21st, 2015, 2:40 am

So am I! I was Lucky enough to be in Tokyo when the new movie came out, Ressurection of F. Fantastic stuff. Next thing you know, they finally release a new series, not only in anime form, but also in manga (Toriyama is credited for the story, yet won't actually be drawing it). I for one could never get into GT, if this new series is anything like the last two movies though, it's gonna be awesome!

scotland

Postby scotland » May 21st, 2015, 5:48 am

The Flash has been amazing. Points that were weak spots, like the metahuman prison or Ciscos silliness, were actually used to great effect later in the season. Cisco being a silly Wesley child genius like character suddenly make his death like the killing of a child. The paradox at the finale is worked out by the giant cliffhanger in the sky, so it too is addressed. That the finale was not the showdown with the seasons big bad, but an emotional climax was just splendid.

Constantine had promise - we saw Dr Fates helmet, and met Detective Jim Corrigan several times. The horror movie feel was very different from the feel of Arrow say, where every week is some sort of mega personal city wide event. Its finale was its best episode.

Arrow has gone downhill, even with the fun Barrowman character. However, they have found a way for Barry and Ollie to share a universe in a very comicy way. And it shows that you can do a Batman show without Batman, assuming Batman is all into CW relationships.

Have not seen Daredevil on Netflix yet. Heard its enjoyable, but that character is an uphill battle for me. Rather see a Moon Knight show or some other. Will give it a go this summer.

Agent Carter was a nice short season and story arc. It shows how you can emulate the comics with a major series using a minor one to bridge a hiatus. That way gans get 8 or 9 months of shows, but each show is not responsible for all the episodes. Peggys seven episodes were just enough. Nice period piece, and the Jarvis and Peggy characters are terrific.

Gotham has some great actors and a great vibe, but man can it go off the rails. The whole second part of the season was weak, especially Fish. She was a good character in the first half. It really peaked with her honey trap plot failing. They did salvage the Barbara character at the end. Maybe a time skip would help, but I dont see it happening.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 22nd, 2015, 11:26 am

A few comments:

- I've seen a few Flash episodes. It's lighthearted and captures that silver age feel while note feeling retro either. Not my favorite show of all times, but it's pretty decent.

- Gotham is where it's at. The young Penguin guy is fantastic, the whole series is a blast. I can't wait for the 2nd season, which should focus on the Joker, which you only get a few glimpses of in the 1st. Great actors, great show really. Here's hoping we'll get to see Batman all grown up some of these days, which just might happen if the series last long enough...

- Can't wait to try out Daredevil. Didn't get the chance as yet. I keep hearing good things about this. Will they tie this in with the Avengers continuity? Have they already?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 24th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Oltobaz wrote:- Can't wait to try out Daredevil. Didn't get the chance as yet. I keep hearing good things about this. Will they tie this in with the Avengers continuity? Have they already?

It's raining outside so I checked out the first two episodes of Daredevil. Great stuff.

They're in the same overall Marvel universe with the movies. They in particular mention all the rebuilding the city of New York is going through due to the last Avengers movie.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 25th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for telling me.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 27th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Oltobaz wrote:So am I! I was Lucky enough to be in Tokyo when the new movie came out, Ressurection of F. Fantastic stuff. Next thing you know, they finally release a new series, not only in anime form, but also in manga (Toriyama is credited for the story, yet won't actually be drawing it). I for one could never get into GT, if this new series is anything like the last two movies though, it's gonna be awesome!

That is good luck! I have unfortunately not seen 'Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F yet, but I am going to soon. I can't wait until Super airs in North America. It will no doubt be on Toonami.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 30th, 2015, 9:26 am

LoganRuckman wrote:I'm super (get it?) excited for Dragon Ball Super. A new Dragon Ball series that's actually canon and is actually created by Akira Toriyama (though I actually liked GT despite being non-canon)? Count me in!

I have been so out of the anime loop that I never even heard of this. I am a huge DBZ fan and I've seen the show tons of times. This is great news. So is DBGT basically out of the picture then? I know it was non-canon but SS4 was introduced in the series... I wonder if they are going to incorporate that into the show or just ditch it completely.

Return to “Other Media”