Mad Max: Fury Road

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Postby velcrozombie » May 21st, 2015, 10:54 am

My cousin and I saw the new Mad Max movie last night. The only movie from the original series that I've ever seen is The Road Warrior, and that was about 15 years ago. I went in with high expectations, due to the near-unanimous praise the film has received thus far, and yet I was still completely blown away. I don't know if I've seen a action movie made outside of Hong Kong have such a relentless pace, and yet there were moments of world-building and characterization continuously scattered throughout in a very economical, "show-don't-tell" sort of way. Most of the special effects you see in the movie were practical effects (with the exception of something like the sandstorm, which would have been impossible to do otherwise) and the movie was shot on location in the Namib Desert, giving the movie a sense of texture and visceral power that a green screen wouldn't have been able to provide.

I was going to write a lot more about the movie, but I've run out of time. I just wanted to recommend it and to get impressions from anyone else who's been able to see it.

LS650

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Postby LS650 » May 21st, 2015, 9:26 pm

I saw it last weekend, and not sure what to think. Although the action scenes, car chases, explosions, and special effects are completely over the top (like the other Mad Max films) I thought they were very entertaining - you really couldn't ask for better such action if that's what you're looking for.

On the other hand, I thought that the story was very much lacking. Of course, again so were the other Mad Max movies, but any sort of non-action scenes involving, you know, emotions or plot or thinking, were flat and felt very much tacked on as an afterthought.

I recommend it - but only to folks who are huge fans of the older movies in the series.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 21st, 2015, 11:40 pm

LS650 wrote:I saw it last weekend, and not sure what to think. Although the action scenes, car chases, explosions, and special effects are completely over the top (like the other Mad Max films) I thought they were very entertaining - you really couldn't ask for better such action if that's what you're looking for.

On the other hand, I thought that the story was very much lacking. Of course, again so were the other Mad Max movies, but any sort of non-action scenes involving, you know, emotions or plot or thinking, were flat and felt very much tacked on as an afterthought.

I recommend it - but only to folks who are huge fans of the older movies in the series.

I was actually surprised how emotionally invested I was in the plight of both the female slaves and the young men who had been exploited and coerced into being cannon fodder through the promise of eternal glory. The movie doesn't necessarily dwell on the back-stories of these characters for very long - and for good reason, since it would wreck the momentum - but I found that there was enough to latch onto (to provide a negative example, The Raid: Redemption is a brilliant action movie that loses something by failing to provide enough of a reason to care about it's characters). Mad Max himself is a bit flat, but (as he was in the Road Warrior) he's more along for the ride than anything else - it's more Furiosa's story than his. I also like the undercurrent of black humor that comes from people who've adapted to a world that's gone to hell - stuff that would seem insurmountable to the average modern person is just another sigh and a shrug to these characters. I also really like the way the movie would momentarily show you something intriguing - for example, the stilt-wearing people in the swamplands - without having to explain it in detail: it added to the richness of the world and allowed you to use your imagination without bogging the pace down.

I don't think you really need to be familiar with the original trilogy to enjoy Fury Road - it would help, but the beginning sequence does an OK job of making you aware of what kind of a character Mad Max is (a physically-capable but haunted man driven more by a primal desire to survive than anything else) and the world he inhabits without having to spell out his history for you. I'd take anyone who likes action or fantasy movies to it without a second thought, even if they didn't know anything about the franchise.

I'm going to go back and watch the rest of the series now. Walmart currently has a The Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome 2-pack for $7.50, but not the original movie. I might have to bring for the Mad Max Blu-Ray, though - I really want to see it with it's original Australian dialogue track, as I've read the American re-dub changes the tone and makes the movie feel a bit campy.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 22nd, 2015, 1:38 pm

I came here to post a similar thread and echo Velcro's thoughts. If you are a lover of action films from the 70s/80s...back when it was all done with real stunt work and practical effects then go see Fury Road. It's the best action film to come out in at least 10 years or so.

The film's plot and premise is very simple (much like The Road Warrior). However, that doesn't mean there isn't alot to chew on. Miller takes a "show me, don't tell me" approach to the storytelling and it's very effective. With minimal dialogue, you must learn from characters based on their actions and what they do. There is actually a ton of worldbuilding and if you dig it's rewarding.

Charlize Theron's portrayal of Furiosa is just flat out awesome. It's the best female action performance since Sigourney Weaver's Ripley. She isn't sexualized, or made to be some sort of badass comicbook-esque character. It's just a STRONG feminine protagonist that works really well. Her motives and actions are based on the fact that she is a woman and it is refreshing to see something like this in a big budget action film.

Tom Hardy slips into Mad Max like a glove. It might be the greatest, most seemless transition from one actor to another in an iconic role. Hardy has a commanding presence and you never lose track of him onscreen. Some will argue that Furiosa is the main character and Max is just along for the ride. I wouldn't go quite that far. In most of the Mad Max films, he gets caught up in the troubles of others and this one is no different. Furiosa is dominate...but Max is right there being just as important.

I'm going to see it again tonight in 3D this time. Fans of action films...DO NOT MISS THIS WHILE IT'S IN THEATERS! You will not see anything like this for a long time. This is MUST SEE material right here! There are so many unforgettable moments and oddball characters. It's the craziest thing that I've seen in a long, long time. This is a strong contender for my movie of the year. Star Wars has got it's work cut out.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 22nd, 2015, 3:50 pm

Looks amazing, definitely going to see it tonight.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 22nd, 2015, 6:07 pm

Thanks for the writeup. I think this movie looks really awesome and I'm hoping to see it in theaters this weekend or next.

David

Postby David » May 22nd, 2015, 9:52 pm

I saw this earlier today, without having watched any of the originals, and loved it. I like action movies, but hate ones that are all special effects and nothing else (ex. Transformers-esque movies), and this one did a really good job of making the premise intriguing without slowing it down with dialogue. Awesome movie.

As an aside, I had heard some rumblings about it being a very pro-feminist movie, but I didn't get that vibe at all. If it had been very preachy it probably would've soured me on the movie, and it definitely did not. Go see it.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 23rd, 2015, 12:31 am

Definitely disagree on Transformers, I personally love all those movies and i'm totally fine with films being primarily focused on special effects(so long as they're well done of course).

Saw this today and I have to say it's definitely the best in the series by far, I was surprised by how tight the pacing was, the two hours flew right by.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 23rd, 2015, 3:17 am

So, basically, you agree these movies are focused on special effects. He doesn't like that. You do. No need to act like a contrarian all the time.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 23rd, 2015, 11:55 am

I fail to see how i'm being "contrarian" merely because I disagree with certain opinions.

Return to “Other Media”