Modern or classic gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
eneuman96

Re: Modern or classic gaming

Postby eneuman96 » May 29th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I play a ton of classic games, but I play fairly modern games about an equal amount of the time. It really bugs me when people say "I miss the days when you had to blow into the cartridge to make it work." Firstly, doing that actually damages the cartridge pins over time, and secondly, those were also the days when games were more expensive. Adjust $60 circa 1988 for inflation, and add that to the fact that games were way shorter back then, and...yeah. Of course, it's great that most old games are cheap nowadays, but to suggest that the previous generations of games were better in every way is insane. Of course, then you have people who are nostalgic for more recent systems like the GameCube.

Maks

Postby Maks » May 29th, 2015, 1:29 pm

I love racing games and I have to say that for the most part, modern consoles have far more enjoyable versions due to 3D. Playing most old school 2D racers can be painful, though there are exceptions of course. Generally speaking, I prefer classic gaming. I went to play Mario Kart on my Wii U the other week and had to wait like 45 minutes for updates to download. By then I was on to something else. Lately I've been playing mostly Neo Geo, which is the pinnacle of 2D gaming for me.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 29th, 2015, 1:38 pm

For pure pick up and play short gaming sessions it's classic gaming all the way. If I have a bit of time on my hands I will get my teeth into a modern game.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 29th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Sut wrote:For pure pick up and play short gaming sessions it's classic gaming all the way. If I have a bit of time on my hands I will get my teeth into a modern game.

I will second that. Modern games are equated to longer gaming sessions for me as well. Depending on what classic means to you, there are classic games I will play for hours on end (turned based games for instance), but in general, classic games fit into shorter gaming sessions.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 29th, 2015, 9:08 pm

I prefer longer gaming sessions myself.

Return to “Video Games General”