Metroid Prime Motion Sickness

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
David

Metroid Prime Motion Sickness

Postby David » June 2nd, 2015, 10:48 pm

So, after finishing Super Metroid a month or so ago, I finished Fusion last week. Loved Fusion (albeit not as much as Super) as well. Now I'm moving on to Prime, and I'm only an hour or two into the game and I've started to get motion sickness from the game. I just finished playing for 45 minutes and feel like throwing up. I can't recall any first person games giving me this problem, but I have had bad experiences with both Katamari Damacy and Sonic Adventure. Did anyone else here have similar problems?

I know changing the FOV when there's an option can help, but unfortunately you can't do that on Prime. I'm a little disappointed that I may not be able to play the Prime Trilogy because of this.

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Metroid Prime Motion Sickness

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 3rd, 2015, 12:25 pm

Metroid Prime gives me some of the worst motion sickness I've ever experienced. I remember I let my roommate in college try playing it on a big screen TV. He played for about 45 mins and was toast. Felt like he was gonna barf. I remember being pissed because it was a Saturday night and we were gonna go out. He had to go to bed at like 8PM! So no...you're certainly not the only one. I can't make it through any of the Prime games. I've tried but they all make me queasy after 30 mins or so.

Most Modern FPS are slow enough that they don't bother me...but old FAST FPS like Doom, man watching a video of that game ruins me. I'm glad that most FPS now have a slower pace, which for whatever reason allows me to enjoy them.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 3rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

Yeah I've experienced that as well with this game as well as my dad. I'm not sure why this happens with fps (especially old ones) but something about that POV does that to me.

David

Postby David » June 3rd, 2015, 6:51 pm

It's weird that it's only specific games. Maybe some of it too is the environment. I'm not claustrophobic, but maybe being entrapped in small spaces and spinning around trying to navigate between rooms is some of it?

Did either of you get through any of the games in short bursts, or did you just not play them? JLH, I know you mentioned you weren't fond too fond of the series.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 3rd, 2015, 7:00 pm

I never experienced any kind of motion sickness with this game or the sequel.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 3rd, 2015, 11:07 pm

David wrote:It's weird that it's only specific games. Maybe some of it too is the environment. I'm not claustrophobic, but maybe being entrapped in small spaces and spinning around trying to navigate between rooms is some of it?

Did either of you get through any of the games in short bursts, or did you just not play them? JLH, I know you mentioned you weren't fond too fond of the series.

I would play about an hour or so. I probably made it about 10 or so hours through the game and then put it down. I actually really enjoyed the game it just seemed like a hassle after a while.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 4th, 2015, 11:29 am

I've never experienced motion sickness anywhere but on a boat. This sounds like a huge bummer. Sorry guys!

Voor

Postby Voor » January 5th, 2021, 9:36 pm

Picked up Oddworld Strangers Wrath HD today on Switch. Really wanted to play this game. Made two attempts, and could go Longer than 15 minutes before I felt like throwing up.

Sucks because I’ve been craving a FPS and I’ve played plenty that haven’t had this effect. But it’s a common issue, and such a risk to purchase a game, only to find out you can’t actually play it. I’m not doing medicine or anything like that.

Skyrim was next on my list, but I’m having serious doubts now.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 5th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Voor wrote:Picked up Oddworld Strangers Wrath HD today on Switch. Really wanted to play this game. Made two attempts, and could go Longer than 15 minutes before I felt like throwing up.

Assuming you've been playing on a tv, try playing it in handheld mode if you haven't already. I suspect the results could be quite different than when playing on a much larger display.

I've only encountered this issue once. I couldn't play Marathon 2: Durandal on Xbox 360 without feeling sick. It later got patched with a FOV adjustment since so many buyers complained of motion sickness, but I haven't had any desire to go back and test it.
Last edited by Atariboy on January 13th, 2021, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » January 6th, 2021, 5:13 am

Atariboy wrote:Assuming you've been playing on a tv, try playing it in handheld mode if you haven't already. I suspect the results could be quite different than when playing on a much larger display.

Metroid Prime in handheld mode...????

Return to “Classic Gaming”