SuperHero TV

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ActRaiser

Re: SuperHero TV

Postby ActRaiser » May 30th, 2015, 11:40 am

As Super Hero TV goes - Daredevil on Netflix may be my favorite of the year.

It's really what Gotham should have been. It's dark, gritty, and awesome.

Daredevil brings Batman to the Marvel Universe. Gotham tried to play both sides of the card with campy humor and darkness at the same time. However, it fails at keeping a cohesive voice. Daredevil sticks to what works and solidly follows down that path.

Dare may I say, Daredevil needs a season two. :P

scotland

Postby scotland » May 30th, 2015, 11:52 am

Interesting. Daredevil never clicked with me with the central conceit of the blindness / super senses thing. Marvel made a deliberate copy in Moon Knight, that I thought would have more potential. I will have to give Daredevil a go.

One thing is of course, its Netflix, that releases entire seasons for binge viewing. I have binge watched shows, but I also really enjoy shows that can do a good mid-season finale, and in between each episode I'm on i09 reading conversations on 'what is going to happen next?'. For a show like Constantine, it would have been better as a Netflix show (maybe a season 2 there), but shows like 12 Monkeys and Walking Dead I prefer on a regular week by week. Even my favorite (so far) of this year, Flash, has been excellent week by week.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 30th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Rev wrote:
LoganRuckman wrote:I'm super (get it?) excited for Dragon Ball Super. A new Dragon Ball series that's actually canon and is actually created by Akira Toriyama (though I actually liked GT despite being non-canon)? Count me in!

I have been so out of the anime loop that I never even heard of this. I am a huge DBZ fan and I've seen the show tons of times. This is great news. So is DBGT basically out of the picture then? I know it was non-canon but SS4 was introduced in the series... I wonder if they are going to incorporate that into the show or just ditch it completely.

Hard to say for sure. But I think the SSJ4 is out of the picture, what with the new orientation the movies seem to take. The movies are supposed to be canon, and a piece of artwork I've seen related to the new show in manga form (there will be a manga on top of the actual tv show) seems to suggest just that. With the new orientation DBZ took transformation wise in these movies, I think anything DBGT is out of the picture, save from a few references here and there I won't discuss just now if you haven't seen the movies. Oh, and they're awesome!

Rev

Postby Rev » May 30th, 2015, 11:31 pm

That sounds really awesome, I'm going to have to do some research. I used to own the whole series and then I sold it. I've been kicking myself for doing that for a while. May have to pick it up again (or at least for the Android through Cell games, probably my favorite part of the series).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 31st, 2015, 1:24 pm

As a comic as a kid I never enjoyed Daredevil either. I couldn't get into the concept of a blind guy going around and beating up people. I wanted my super heroes to have SUPER powers not just some mindless extra senses with hearing.

Now, as a TV series it hits on all cylinders with a great story. For a guy in his late 30s, I enjoyed it. As a kid I'd probably not appreciate all the sub-plots and threads occurring within the TV show.

If you can sit down and watch one full episode of it you'll enjoy it. I may have to check out Constantine as well. Thanks for suggesting it.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 7th, 2015, 7:01 pm

I just got Green Arrow Season 2, the price was right, now I just have to find season 1. The Flash is also on my list to get.

I'm behind the times & haven't kept up with the newer stuff. I just finished watching The Greatest American Hero a few months back. Honestly it's not very good, watched to for nostalgias sake. It had a few funny moments, like the stuntman with the wig crashing.

I also need to get The Incredible Hulk. That show was awesome. I remember one episode the Hulk was fighting a bear. Then he grabbed it and threw and it was hilarious seeing this stuffed bear flying across the screen.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 7th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Tron wrote:...The Flash is also on my list to get...I also need to get The Incredible Hulk. That show was awesome.

The Flash really exceeded expectations. While 12 Monkeys is not a superhero show, I think those two are my favorite shows of the year.

I watched the Hulk back in the day, and of course its The Fugitive with a really fun twist. Bixby was a wonderful 'everyman', the Javert figure was likeable, and Lou Ferrigno as a costume free Hulk was fun. Considering the series began as the Six Million Dollar was ending (a show I like by the way), its amazing how low key and grounded the show was, at least the first 45 minutes before 'you wouldn't like me when I'm angry' kicked in. It was never "The Incredible Hulk vs Bigfoot" or any 'Hulk strongest one there is' talk or anything like that I remember. That was the right call. As much as I like the Bionic Man, the way the Hulk was done really made it a family show.

I've read that the tv producers wanted the Hulk to be red, the color of rage...it was fought down by Stan Lee who was adamant the Hulk is Green. Nowadays, there is very much a Red Hulk, as well as Red Lanterns, etc. A red Hulk in the 70s might have been pretty good.

You have my curiousity piqued about if the show has aged well or not. I think there are at least some episodes on Netflix I may have to sample.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 22nd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Scotland - if you liked the hulk back then you'd still appreciate it today. Bixby was an awesome actor. He took a hard role & made it believable. Lou was equally impressive as the Hulk. His physical presence was well.... incredible. That CGI crap they use now is garbage. I just wish the writers made it darker. More violence please. I also don't remember any hot chicks from that show so that's a minus too.

I just watched about 15 episodes of Arrow. The first 7 or so episodes were simply awful. The directing was bad, really bad. Action scenes were choreographed ok, but the speed and angles of the shots were awful. The acting reminded me of the first season of Saved by the Bell. Awful dialogue & awful execution. The plot had potential, but the storylines were lame. Thankfully the last 7 or so episodes have gotten better. I like the backstory with the Sparticus guy & the Asian guy. This show really needs some sweet super villains though. So far the Arrow just picks on embezzlers, drug dealers and jewel thieves.... Yawn. His ex-girlfriend is hot, but her role as an attorney is laughable. Her new boyfriend/comedy relief is repulsive. I hope he dies soon. Too much drama in this show. I feel like I'm watching a soap opera, ugh. I also don't like the cop. He at least is acted well, but he's so unlikable. Hope he dies too. So far I'm not very impressed. The mom has the makings of the most interesting plot elements, but she's no super villain nemesis for him. Btw whose green arrows nemesis in the comic books?

scotland

Postby scotland » June 24th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Y'know Tron, you may be right on casting choices. Some shows, like Six Million Dollar Man had lovely people, but I recall Hulk was a bit less glamour, more grit. Given it was still before cable, and kids watched, I doubt they could have done much more with violence. We are probably lucky we did not get Superfriends style public service announcements. Hulk says no get angry, people no like you when angry.

Arrow is basically Batman without the symbols and a clean slate. Green Arrow was a good choice, as he began as a Batman expy anyway. Ray Palmer is a Ted Kord expy too. Could do with less 'why didn't you trust me' stuff to be sure.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 29th, 2015, 9:01 pm

I finished the first season of arrow & it definitely got better. So far I'm not really feeling the second season. The new chick is hot, but come on. It's hard enough to believe that Oliver leaves an island & goes from rich boy party slacker to super hero, but now another chick is doing it. Must be something about the island. Glad the lame friend died, but Dingles has never won me over either. In fact I'm not really loving anyone in this show. They're either ok or I wish they'd die. I still think the worst part is the directing. The acting & scripts aren't great either. This is one series I don't think I'll keep & watch again.

Return to “Other Media”