The Final Fantasy VII Remake Thread

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate

The Final Fantasy VII Remake Thread

Postby ptdebate » June 16th, 2015, 11:44 am

So, let's start off this discussion with your hopes, expectations, and fears.

I hope they don't downplay the humorous and absurd elements of the original game like racing chocobos to get out of prison, going on a date with Barrett, or crossdressing to save Tifa. The weirdness is something that makes FF7 special.

I expect that no matter what they do, they'll make an ungodly amount of money.

I fear that with Nomura as director, the game will stray away from the tone of the original. I don't want a playable Advent Children. I don't think anyone wants that.

On the bright side, Kazushige Nojima and Yoshinori Kitase are still closely involved with the development.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: The Final Fantasy VII Remake Thread

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 16th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I'm hoping they adopt the FFXV combat into this game. Advent Children might not be the best movie, but it LOOKED awesome. Imagine bring able to play the game that way! XIII-2 had chocobo racing, and XV has been shown to have chocobos as well (I think racing is currently unconfirmed, though) so I don't think the game is in any danger of losing that. I'm looking forward to this game! Between it, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy Type Zero, and No Man's Sky, the PS4 is shaping up to have an awesome lineup soon.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 16th, 2015, 1:53 pm

It's funny that this was announced while I've been playing this game on the psx. I've put about 50 hours into the game so far. I hope they keep the original battle system but make it so you can see enemies on the screen while wondering around compared to random battle encounters. I think no matter how well this remake is people are going to be disappointed due to the hype of the original game and changes that get made. Hopefully I'm wrong and the game is different enough to give surprised to veteran players but keeps enough of the original game to please fans. It seems like it is going to be quitea challenge but I'm still looking forward to it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 16th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I'm with Rev on the combat. I hope all the gameplay stuff stays exactly the same (but perhaps they could speed up the ATB slider for an extra challenge). I would be extremely surprised if they didn't make it so you can see monsters on the field before battle.

One thing they could tweak is character progression--make it so the player has more choice in how their characters level up. Other than that, FF7 is still very fun the way it is.

Can you guys even imagine what the summons are going to be like? :shock:

Rev

Postby Rev » June 16th, 2015, 4:40 pm

I think re tweaking the summons so they're better would be a neat change. The only two summons that are good are Phoenix and knights of the round. Maybe they could add extra abilities to summons to make them more unique other than how much damage they do. Enemy skill materia is so overpowered that it outclasses a lot of the other magic spells. Maybe adding extra abilities to the existing spells would be cool.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 16th, 2015, 5:59 pm

I remember them saying they would refuse to remake FFVII until one finally came out that was even better. If nothing else, that tells me that Square Enix has MASSIVE hopes for XV

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » June 16th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Just what this industry needed, ANOTHER remaster. :roll:

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:Just what this industry needed, ANOTHER remaster. :roll:

Just what Hollywood needs, ANOTHER movie release that was in theatres, then on VHS for rental, then on VHS for sale, then on TV, then on DVD, then in gold edition on DVD, then re-released in theatre, then with the re-release on pay per view, then with the re-release on Blu-Ray and DVD, and Blu-Ray and DVD combo pack, then on Netflix, then on TV, then remade, and then with the remake on DVD and Blu-Ray, and Apple store Download, and gold edition 30th Anniversary diamond edition including the original and remake with original DIRECTOR'S CUT!

Games hardly get more remakes or remasters than other industries, and games need it more (as it becomes consistently harder to sell the older versions). Casablanca will always be the same. It will always be equally memorable and beautiful. Try selling a 15 year old on PS1 graphics, or that price point for an "old game." The game industry requires remakes for preservation's sake.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 16th, 2015, 8:21 pm

SigSauerLover doesn't even seem to understand what a remaster is. A remaster would be The Last of Us or Tomb Raider on PS4, where developers "clean things up." They smooth out jaggies, sharpen resolution and double the frames per second. All the same assets, engine and code are used as a framework.

Final Fantasy VII is a remake. It's about as far from a remaster as you can get while still having ties to the original game. In terms of development, it's a brand new game. This is basically FF16 without hearing that title.

As for my hopes, they better not MESS with that combat. Let it play the same, SquareEnix.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » June 17th, 2015, 3:29 am

I want them to keep the combat system, I hope they don't change anything. I'd like them to add new materias, at least a couple of new Ultima Weapons, extra side stories, etc... maybe they could refer to some of the characters and stories implemented with Crisis Core on PSP.

Return to “Modern Gaming”