Movie review: Silent Hill

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2006, 10:36 pm

What do you think about my review?  As you can see, I liked how the movie looked, but I thought the story was a mess.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 19th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Nice review Critic.  The movie certainly is a feast for the eyes and ears, but I can agree with you about the plot to some extent.  I, like you, was certainly pleased with how the first half an hour mimics the first game perfectly.  It makes you wish that Resident Evil had followed the games more closely.

The average person will get hopelessly lost in all of it, but most gamers will eat it up.  Sadly the movie falls into the love it/ hate it category and most Critic's seemed to hate it.  I think you gamer grade of a B is about where I stand as well.  It certainly is one of the better done videogame adaptations, but there is still room for improvement.

The movie seems to reward multiple viewings and from what I've read online having detailed knowledge of the series helps you enjoy it more.  After watching this movie I felt compelled to watch it again and piece together the plot a little better.  My second viewing was much more enjoyable since the movie made more sense. 

Again great review Critic.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 19th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Critic I recommend you see Stay Alive.  I know I already posted that you should check it out, but as a survival horror fan I think you would get a kick out of it.  I know BestBuy has it on sale for $16.99 this week (they discount all new arrival DVDs).

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Alive/dp/B00005JOWU/sr=8-1/qid=1158721266/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4740821-9290513?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

With a tagline like, "You die in the game, You die for real..." how can you resist!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » September 29th, 2006, 7:58 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]What do you think about my review?  As you can see, I liked how the movie looked, but I thought the story was a mess.
[/QUOTE]

I think that you hit the nail on the head for the review.  It was visually stunning, but the story fell so short of the Silent Hill game series that I felt more than a little cheated.  I despised the "white light" exposition in the middle of the movie, but I think the worst part of the movie is the "super hero" approach the protagonist takes at the end when she challenges the cult.  It's like a supernatural "Let My People Go" speech... I mean, give me a break!

Return to “Review Feedback”