Summer Reading

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Summer Reading

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2015, 4:25 pm

As much as I love video games, sometimes I need a break. I like to sit on the porch with a seasonally-correct book. I'm not a fast reader but it's a nice change of pace.

I recently read Dead Wake about the last voyage of the Lusitania. It's probably a better story than Titanic.

Now I'm reading Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship.
It's another great summer book.

These are both non-fiction.

Vexer6

Re: Summer Reading

Postby Vexer6 » July 12th, 2015, 5:03 pm

I mostly read non-fiction books myself, lately i've been reading a lot of books about the O.J. Simpson trial.

jon

Postby jon » July 12th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Yea, I've been fascinated by the Simpson trial and read some books on it. If you're really into it, you might really enjoy watching the trial coverage on youtube. The closing arguments I found fascinating, especially Barry Sheck's argument. I'm not in law, but I think it should be required watching for how to speak, it was fantastic.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 12th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Indeed, I feel like i'm one of the only white individuals who believes that he did not murder Ron and Nicole(though that's a discussion for another thread).

Some of the most fascinating books about the case i've read:

Double Crossed for Blood: Henry S Johnson
Joseph Bosco: A Problem of Evidence
Pursuit of Exhibit 35:T.S. Johnson
The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: T.S. Johnson
O.J. is Guilty But Not of Murder: William Dear
O.J. Is Innocent and I Can Prove It: William Dear

jon

Postby jon » July 12th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with the material, it's fascinating. At this point, I just think it's hilarious watching the Sheck closing arguments, it's like slapstick. But yea, I try not to get caught up in whatever happened, it's just entertainment.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 14th, 2015, 12:04 pm

I just finished reading "Horns" by Joe Hill.

Basic premise is that the main character wakes up after a night of binge drinking and discovers he has a set of horns growing out of his head. Along with the new head gear he starts getting special powers. The main plot involves around this character trying to discover what really happened a year ago when his girlfriend was found murdered.

This is my kind of book for summer. It has plenty of imagination, some humor and is a light easy read. The book has some pretty dark material in it, but overall I was pleased with it. Also after reading it I discovered that Joe Hill is actually a Stephen King's son. Apparently he shortened his name cause he didn't want to cash in on his dad's legacy (or perhaps live in his shadow).

There is a film adaption of Horns starring Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter). I think it's streaming on Netflix and I'm gonna check it out.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 14th, 2015, 1:24 pm

I saw the movie and enjoyed it, had no idea it was based on a book though.

Tina

Postby Tina » July 15th, 2015, 9:43 am

Until the four year old is in school, reading is few and far between for me, he is on the go from 6am to 10pm, no naps either,
anyway I am also a non fiction reader, weather related events fascinate me and no I am not talking about climate change,
the last great book that is just so sad to read is called The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin,
Here is a few sentences on the cover,
In three minutes, the front subtracted eighteen degrees from the air's temperature.
Then evening gathered in, and temperatures kept dropping in the northwest gale.
By morning on Friday, January 13 1888, more than a hundred children lay dead on
the Dakota-Nebraska prairie......
The back of the book he documents insights, interviews and what fascinates him about the prairie, just a all around great read.

Return to “Other Media”