Fine Literature Icon

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Fine Literature Icon

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2015, 3:45 pm

I finally created a much-needed "Fine Literature" icon for games that include a nice instruction manual.

http://videogamecritic.com/icon/icon_Fi ... rature.htm

You can see which games I applied it to. Let me know what other games are deserving.

Sonicx9

Re: Fine Literature Icon

Postby Sonicx9 » July 25th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Klonoa for the Wii should be added to the Fine Literature Icon list as the game has a excellent Manual: http://kotaku.com/5239647/klonoa-wii-pa ... eful-tasty

It will also be a good idea for a awful/no manual Icon for many of the god awful Acclaim/LJN/EA/Ubisoft/Activision Manuals witch are normally garbage!

But their is exceptions to the rules such as the Sega Dreamcast Rayman 2 Manual, witch is excellent.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 25th, 2015, 11:34 pm

The Lunar games on the PS1 should definitely be on this list. You only have a review for Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. The two re-releases had hard back covers, fully glossy pages, and even cloth bookmarks.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 26th, 2015, 5:46 pm

You don't have a review for it, but Final Fantasy for the NES had a pretty amazing package. You got an 80-page manual that worked as a basic walkthrough for roughly the first half of the game, plus an annotated world map, dungeon maps for the first half of the game, a detailed bestiary and a compatibility list for every spell, weapon and piece of armor in the game (not included in post to save space):

ff1-world.jpg
ff1-world.jpg (132.39 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Final-Fantasy-Dungeon-Maps.jpg
Final-Fantasy-Dungeon-Maps.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Final-Fantasy-Enemies.jpg
Final-Fantasy-Enemies.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

I haven't purchased Grand Theft Auto V, but Rockstar has had some really nice manuals - GTA: Episodes from Liberty City had a manual designed to resemble a lifestyle magazine, and Manhunt had a manual that deliberately mimicked a photocopied underground snuff-film catalog.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I went ahead an added to the icon to the games you suggested. Keep the suggestions coming!

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » July 29th, 2015, 8:03 pm

I don't know. It's okay to call it a Fine Literature Award, but I think it might be confusing to readers when that's all it says when you mouse over the icon. I think it would be a lot clearer if there's something about the high quality manual as well.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 29th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
It will also be a good idea for a awful/no manual Icon for many of the god awful Acclaim/LJN/EA/Ubisoft/Activision Manuals witch are normally garbage!

Home improvement for the snes would be a good one for this idea. The manual has a giant picture blocking the text and it says something like real men don't need instructions.

The critic would need to review the game first though.

Return to “Video Games General”