No Split Screen in Halo 5

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
LoganRuckman

Re: No Split Screen in Halo 5

Postby LoganRuckman » July 29th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Yeah, they pretty much said, "We're removing split screen, cuz graphics." I'd much rather have the ability to play with friends and family than ultra realistic graphics.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 29th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Even without ultra-realistic graphics, split-screen doesn't seam feasible, let's not forget that none of us are game developers, so we have no idea what problems are on 343's end.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 29th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Yet it was feasible on Halo 1, an OG XBox game released in 2001?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 30th, 2015, 8:51 am

I signed this petition. Anyone else feeling charitable and want to give it a sign?

Hello,

I just signed the petition, "Microsoft, 343 Industies, Bonnie Ross, Kiki Wolfkill, Microsoft Studios: Add Split-Screen Co-Op."

I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/microsoft-343-i ... reen-co-op

Thanks,

Bud

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 30th, 2015, 1:17 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Yet it was feasible on Halo 1, an OG XBox game released in 2001?
Technology has dramatically evolved since then though, which makes things more complicated, again none of us are developers, so we don't know what technical difficulties 343 has run into trying to make it work.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 30th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
LoganRuckman wrote:Yet it was feasible on Halo 1, an OG XBox game released in 2001?
Technology has dramatically evolved since then though, which makes things more complicated, again none of us are developers, so we don't know what technical difficulties 343 has run into trying to make it work.

None of us are developers? Don't think that's true...

scotland

Postby scotland » July 30th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Vexer6 wrote: The focus on internet is inevitable in games nowadays, as people like to connect and play online with one another, while that's not something that interests me personally, I can't totally dismiss it or fault developers for wanting to utilize it in their games.

How about the focus on split screen should be inevitable as gamers like to connect with one another and play in the same room with one another.

Split screen has been around since about Activision Dragster.

Online gaming is all about the game, and other players are like really good AI. Local multiplayer, also called hanging with your friends playing games, is a different social experience.

Local multiplayer on a single screen, like Lego games, seem to be doing fine though.

Also, mobile gaming or portable gaming with local wi-fi may be the future for local split screen, since everyone has their own device, then its basically both online and local at the same time. Lan party anyone?

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 31st, 2015, 1:33 am

ESauce wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

None of us are developers? Don't think that's true...

Oh you are? Are you Feilong(From the old forum?)? I remember he was a developer.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 8th, 2015, 5:31 pm

There are a number of developers here, game or not.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to use Unity (although it helps).

If anything game development has eased to where almost anyone can jump in. Perhaps, that's problem. Too many guys using tools by others without understanding how to build or support their own engines well. In the past the Halo games primarily used their own Halo engines, toolsets, and pipelines. Without Bungie my guess is they lack any sort of strong technical director to pull things together and fix things.

If they ported the Halo 4 engine which had its own issues supporting split-screen instead of starting from the ground up, one can easily imagine why they have so much trouble supporting split-screen on the Xbox One.

Here's hoping they hire someone to come in and clean up the mess they've made. It could be as easy as licensing someone else's graphic's engine tech and then porting over. (I realize that's not easy, but might be quicker than trying to solve underlying architecture related issues).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 1st, 2015, 8:31 am

MS is feeling the backlash of not supporting split screen in Halo 5. They put up a survey in their November rewards program.

rewards.xbox.com/survey/monthly/

If you have 2 minutes would you mind completing the survey? It also includes questions about couch co-op for Nintendo and Sony.

I doubt they'll be able to patch Halo 5 to support split screen but this might help guide them with Halo 6.

Thank you in advance.

Return to “Modern Gaming”