New RPG Critic?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New RPG Critic?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 31st, 2015, 4:59 pm

My buddy Jonathan (aka the RPG Critic) has been too busy to provide me with reviews and I think it's created a void in my site. I occasionally review an RPG (currently reviewing Super Mario RPG) but not nearly enough.

Many readers have volunteered to contribute reviews in the past - RPG and otherwise - so I was thinking about finding someone to fill this role.

Obviously they would need to employ a writing and grading style that didn't clash with my own. There wouldn't really be a timetable for reviews. A new one every month or two would be nice but there's no obligation at all.

So how would I select such a person? I was thinking many people who were interested could post a sample RPG review in the Reader Review section. Then I could choose, perhaps after taking into account feedback from other readers and moderators.

Let me know what you think.

ptdebate

Re: New RPG Critic?

Postby ptdebate » July 31st, 2015, 11:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:My buddy Jonathan (aka the RPG Critic) has been too busy to provide me with reviews and I think it's created a void in my site. I occasionally review an RPG (currently reviewing Super Mario RPG) but not nearly enough.

Many readers have volunteered to contribute reviews in the past - RPG and otherwise - so I was thinking about finding someone to fill this role.

Obviously they would need to employ a writing and grading style that didn't clash with my own. There wouldn't really be a timetable for reviews. A new one every month or two would be nice but there's no obligation at all.

So how would I select such a person? I was thinking many people who were interested could post a sample RPG review in the Reader Review section. Then I could choose, perhaps after taking into account feedback from other readers and moderators.

Let me know what you think.

Hi Critic! I know there are a lot of people who would very enthusiastically "apply" for this role, myself included. I keep coming back to read your reviews first and foremost because you don't look at old games as relics of their time but rather evaluate them based on how fun they still are! Because the concept of fun should be universal and transcend historical categorizations.

I'll post my review as soon as I get back from vacation on Sunday night. May the games begin!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 2nd, 2015, 8:53 am

I'd love to be the new RPG Critic! I've already posted a few reviews on your forums. My style is really long winded, though, so I don't know how well I'd fit in with your reviews.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » August 2nd, 2015, 11:17 pm

I'm thinking about applying for the position. What worries me is that I love RPGs so much, I may end up handing out way too many high scores. Then again, Final Fantasy XII unfortunately exists so that game will severely drag down the average.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » August 5th, 2015, 1:42 pm

I know how you feel, hard to be objective when
you're into the genre so much. Still, I actually like FF XII. Granted, it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all, it should have been a separate project like Vagrant Story was (from the same guy, as I'm sure you know). Personnally, I still haven't decided what to make of FF XIII. Strange
game mechanics, ultra modern aesthetics, compelling yet kinda weird.

Can't wait to see more RPGs reviews on this site! I wish I had more time on my hands, would have loved to apply.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2015, 7:14 pm

nesfan wrote:I'm thinking about applying for the position. What worries me is that I love RPGs so much, I may end up handing out way too many high scores. Then again, Final Fantasy XII unfortunately exists so that game will severely drag down the average.

This is a good point. I try to keep my average grade as close to C as possible.
When you grade an RPG, you need to average it against all the other RPGs ever made.
I might be open to having more than one person help write RPG reviews, considering how time-consuming they tend to be.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 5th, 2015, 9:24 pm

When you say all the RPG's EVER made you mean for the system right? That would keep things more balanced and would fit the scale you have set for other console game reviews.

RPG's are tough to review. They require a lot of time to play so I usually don't want to allocate a large amount of time to a game that I deem mediocre. At least with other bad games you can tell pretty quick how bad it is. While you can sort of do that with RPGs the amount of time you have to invest is much higher than a crappy platformer or fps or whatever to get a good idea about the game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 6th, 2015, 6:30 pm

I misspoken - they should compare it with all other games on the system - RPG or not.
I wouldn't be against someone writing a review from memory if they played it in the last few years and could remember the details. If it's been around I would at least recommend going back and refreshing their memory.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 6th, 2015, 6:38 pm

I posted a review in the relevant forum. I tried to keep it as concise as possible while hitting the essential points. Selecting a screenshot will be a true challenge because of all the varied ground covered in this massive game!

I also forgot to put my letter grade: it's A. Next time I'll try to tackle a bad game.

Return to “Video Games General”