Game Review Recommendations?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: Game Review Recommendations?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 26th, 2015, 9:09 pm

The critic should check out the Megaman Zero series via Megaman Zero Collection on the DS played on the New Nintendo 3DS XL, these games are awesome, bad ass, hard as nails spin off Megaman series that have awesome artwork, music, level design and challenge, unlike these stupid piece of garbage Assassin's Creed games witch are easy, boring, dull, unchallenging, unmemorable.

The Megaman Zero series was the portable Dark Souls series of its time do to it hard as nails gameplay, and here is the gameplay on YouTube: https://youtu.be/m6ahq4w7d1Y?t=4m3s

I aslo think he should review The Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the SNES as it is just like River City Ransom in its Gameplay style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_F8bYD-1I

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 1st, 2015, 12:00 am

Since I've said it in another thread, I'll repeat it here: I'd love to see a review of a Bond game or two. I'd suggest Everything or Nothing (probably Gamecube, or maybe PS2) and Bloodstone (PS3). You could do The Duel on the Genesis - you can literally beat the game in under 30 minutes.

Uncharted Waters on Genesis - I have sunk years of my life into Pirates! on Genesis, but haven't gotten as far on this one.

Nagano Winter Olympics 98 on Nintendo 64 - my friends and I have had too many curling battles to count. The physics leave a little (actually, quite a lot) to be desired, but it's still a good time.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » August 1st, 2015, 3:10 am

I'll second the Bond games, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, Quantum of Solace, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and 007 Legends would also be good choices.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 1st, 2015, 9:46 pm

I'm curious to see what you think of Jet Set Radio Future for the Xbox. It's quite a bit different than the Dreamcast one.

Speaking of Dreamcast(or Xbox if you prefer) I'd really like to see a Shenmue II review. It's one of my all time faves and seems like a good time to revisit the series with the successful Shenmue 3 kickstarter and all.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » August 2nd, 2015, 11:35 pm

I'll bet that there is no way you'll like it as much as I do but I would really like to see your opinion of Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed for PS3 or PS4. It might also be on Vita. I forget. I played the PS3 version. But man, oh man... that game... I can't recall any time I ever declared a game of the year but that was definitely GOTY 2014 for me. It's just a shame it flew so far under the radar. People need to know about this game.

I was also going to say that this site is severely lacking in Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon. But with your recent announcement calling for a new RPG critic, maybe those reviews won't be too far off.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 4th, 2015, 12:31 am

I'm a huge Genesis Shmup fan Critic and I know you are as well. You have reviewed most Shmups on the Genesis but missed a few. Here are the Shmups you missed.

Imports:

Greylancer- (A+ great game) Horizontal Shooter. Your really missing the boat with this one. I made a repro copy for my collection as the real deal is hundreds of dollars. If you need help getting one I'll make you a repro for $25. It's a Japanese Shmup you would have to import otherwise and you have already done so with Eliminate Down so I know your open to the idea.

Slap Fight- (solid B) Vertical Shooter This game is like a vertical version of Gradius. You save your power ups and purchase the type you want. This is another import I made repros of and I actually made an extra copy of this one and If you will review it I would send it to you free.

Domestic Genny Shmups:

Battle Squadron (solid B)- Vertical Shooter made by EA. This game actually reminds me of Slap Fight without the Gradius inspired power up system.

Insector X- Horizontal Shooter. Honestly this is a crappy game only review this if you want to complete all shmups for the Genny. This game doesn't even have parallax scrolling.

Cross Fire- This is a Vertical Hybrid Shmup. You spend half the time in a Chopper shooting stuff and the other half running around on foot Rambo Style. I think you would like this so I recommend it.

Atomic Robo Kid- Horizontal hybrid shooter. You are a robot that can fly or walk there is no forced scrolling so not sure if this qualifies as a Shmup.

Viewpoint- Isometric shmup. You already reviewed the Neo Geo version which is better but this game is no slouch either.

Space Invader 91' - This game reminds me of Galga 90'. It's an updated version of Space Invaders with its core game play intact.

This is all Shmups for the Genny you have not reviewed. There are a couple more imports but they are not worth mentioning.

Readers really enjoy a good F- game.

For a fun F- game I recommend Super Tecmo Bowl for the PS1. Play this and you will see why Tecmo Bowl died such a sudden death.

Thank you for considering these games,

Wallyworld

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 5th, 2015, 2:16 pm

^Some solid recommendations from Wallyworld. Reviewing Genesis shmups is always worthwhile, and I'd love to see Atomic Robo-Kid get a proper review (though I suspect you won't like it).

Like several others, what I'd most like to see is for you to finish off some of the near-complete sections, especially for early consoles. (I've talked about this before here and here.)

The Atari 5200 and 7800 are very close, with 5 and 6 games left respectively, not counting homebrews. The Vectrex has to be pretty close too, and the Intellivision isn't that far away, with quite a few arcade-style games left like River Raid. You're also not far from being done with the 32X: just 3 US games left, plus 2 EU games (soccer and DarXide) and 1 JPN game with an insurmountable language barrier.

Anyway, that said, here are some other suggestions:

Steel Harbinger (PlayStation) - wonderfully trashy free-roaming third-person shooter with a fixed camera, as a consequence of which you spend the whole game staring at the robo-woman protagonist's backside (which isn't titillating, I assure you). It plays like a 3DO game, and I'm sure you know exactly what I mean by that -- it's got that early PS1 feeling and it's almost surprising that it wasn't in a longbox.

Chopper Attack (N64) - a simplified 3D version of games like Desert Strike. Shallow in many ways and occasionally frustrating, but fun in modest doses.

Family Tennis (NES/Famicom) - this is, by far, the best 8-bit tennis game I've ever played. No real language barrier, and all the characters are based on 1980s pros like Lendl and Becker.

Andre Agassi Tennis (Genesis) - ...and this is, by far, the worst 16-bit tennis game I've ever played. Should make for an easy and funny F- review.

I'm sure I can think of lots more, but that's a good start.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 6th, 2015, 2:19 am

I'm going to reply again to nudge Dave to play Demon's Souls. In fact, it will fit right into the Halloween gaming section, so you can play it in October.

When you do play it, be sure to tell us ahead of time, there's a few of us that will make new characters to help you in co-op... or invade you. heh heh heh

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 6th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Prince of Persia (snes): in my humble opinion, Konami did a great job with this majestic take on the series! It should be far better known that it is!

Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne-How have you not reviewed this series, Critic? They're hard as nails, but so much fun once you find your groove! These games definitely don't hold your hand!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 6th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I am actually reviewing Dragon's Dogma, but it's coming along slowly.

Return to “Video Games General”