What's your "Favorite" game? Ever.

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

What's your "Favorite" game? Ever.

Postby Breaker » August 7th, 2015, 2:50 pm

A simple question, but is the answer simple?

My buddy and I were discussing this the other night. Here are the ground rules:
1) "Favorite" doesn't mean "best" - not best story, graphics, gameplay, whatever. It could be a game you like because of any/all of those things, but it simply means, favorite: regarded with special favor or preference. Probably the game you invested the most time in to, but just because you loved playing it, not because it required lots of hours to finish.
2) You can select two games; One for multi-player reasons, and one for single player reasons.

This is a pretty diverse group, and one well-versed in games. I'm looking forward to hearing the responses!

Here are mine:
Multi-player: NHL '97 on Genesis. I think 3-button hockey is the pinnacle of the video game hockey. Playing head-to-head, or even more often as teammates, my buddies and I logged months of actual life into this game. Tough to choose between 94-98, but this one got the most attention. (Honorable mention: Goldeneye on N64, and Madden 97 on Genesis)

Single player: Pirates! Gold on Genesis. This game unfolds differently every time you play, so it has nearly unlimited replay value. I was introduced to this by a college roommate in 1997, and I still play it in large quantities today. He and I swap game updates and high scores regularly. (Honorable mention: Everything or Nothing on PS2, and Gran Turismo 3 on PS2)

jon

Re: What's your "Favorite" game? Ever.

Postby jon » August 7th, 2015, 9:48 pm

For single player I'd probably go with Super Mario Bros. I love Super Mario World also, it would probably be a close 2nd. For multiplayer, I'd go with College Hoops 2k8. That game is absolutely unbelievable. I'd follow that with Goldeneye, NFL 2k5, NHL 94. Twisted Metal 2 was really good 2 players. It makes me realize how great Sega is at sports games. But College Hoops 2k8 takes the cake.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 7th, 2015, 11:17 pm

For single player, probably Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. I put hundreds of hours into that game and love it. A not too hard strategy rpg but was one of the first I really played.

For multiplayer- probably Super Smash Bros. Brawl. (or Smash 64). I disliked a lot of different things about the game (tripping) but I got really good at the game from playing with a bunch of people in my town. Despite it probably being the most hated of the Smash games it is my favorite.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » August 8th, 2015, 10:41 am

Not to sound cliche but my favorite single player game is Tetris. I've always enjoyed Tetris and Dr. Mario, those are two games that I can pickup and play pretty much whenever and I've enjoyed most of their incarnations. My favorite version of Tetris is still Tetris DX (GBC), what makes Tetris DX the definitive Tetris for me is how the game ranks your playing ability so you can then challenge yourself head-to-head and I find the rating the game gives me is pretty accurate because playing head-to-head against myself is pretty danged tough! IMO there is no better version of Tetris and I wish I still had my GBC. I've been tempted to buy a GBA just so I can play my Tetris DX gamepak on the go again, I just haven't found a great deal on one yet. I've also enjoyed Super Tetris (DOS) back in the day, I would like to see the special blocks of Super Tetris reintroduced into a future Tetris game, or just see that game remade for consoles or at the very least Steam so I don't have to deal with the idiotic copy protection. Another game I like is the various traditional versions of Dr. Mario, but it does get a bit boring once you hit level 24 or so and it no longer adds additional numbers of viruses to the bottle, after that initial panic it's just going through the motions but it's fun for a quick pickup game. Aside from Tetris and Dr. Mario two other games I've sunk countless hours of enjoyment into over the years are Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (DOS) and Wing Commander Privateer (DOS). I used to enjoy just racking up cash in post-game, running the trade routes and bartering with aliens on their homeworlds, using the Psychic Probe to find out just how much I could push them before they got fed up and stopped trading. Going to hostile planets trying to capture Brass Harpooner for quick cash or running from the instant-kill Dark Lightning, destroying an entire fleet of G'Nunk warships and then selling the fuel from their wreckage back to them at their own trade posts, running contraband, going on "suicide" runs into the hostile cloud nebula, etc. SF2 was just a fun time. Same with Privateer, I still enjoy firing up DOSBox some days and going on bounty missions, taking on the Church of Man, or running contraband trying to avoid the patrols in end-game. Mixing it up and befriending the Kilrathi while at the same time helping them make short work of the Confed patrols or terrorizing the merchants with my tricked-out Centurion fighter and then selling their cargo (and them, as captured slaves) to a pirate base. Also a fun time.

My favorite multiplayer game is probably NBA Hang Time (N64). I've played over twenty five hundred games on that game over the years between memory cards and there have been some that have had some great "record this" moments over the years that looking back made me wish the old consoles had such a recording ability. A friend and I have been trying for years to get over 1000 wins in a row, just to see if the game will actually display 1000 or stop at 999, we're almost there. I also find it is a good drinking game, the breaks are just long enough for taking swigs of beer between quarters, it still looks pretty decent on a big screen HDTV considering it's the N64 and I still dig that half-time rap song after all of these years. I also like Mario Golf Toadstool Tour (GCN), that is a great multiplayer game, the fun in that game is all about Club Slots 9-hole multiplayer. Shifting Sands and Blooper Bay are the best courses in the game, not too dumb easy or punishingly hard. Trying to get x2 and double x2, or that triple x2 on the final hole, and rack up huge scores against your opponents either real or CPU, that game will never get old to me. Another top mention is Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN), that is some serious multiplayer fun. There are some great tracks in that game like Baby Park, Daisy Cruiser, DK Mountain, Waluigi Stadium, Bowser's Castle. That rope bridge at the end of the lap in DK Mountain always results in someone getting knocked off near the end on that shell/banana riddled bridge or failing that, a lightning bolt or blue shell. Or the courses where you have a last minute jump before the finish line, a well timed attack spells disaster. I also have to mention Call of Duty Black Ops (X360) because I really like some of the levels in that game such as Jungle, Berlin Wall, Nuketown, Firing Range, Summit, etc. I like the Combat Training in Black Ops when the bots are set to most difficult, more than Deathmatch against real players, getting friends online and taking on the hard bots and trying out different weapon setups. I also like the Zombies modes, particularly the Der Reise level. It is my favorite Call of Duty, probably my favorite FPS overall, definitely the one I've put the most time into.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 8th, 2015, 11:47 am

The game that had the biggest impact on me was Kingdom Hearts. I used to be so obsessed with that game, it probably bordered on unhealthy. It was the game that introduced me to RPGs like Final Fantasy, though it would be a long time before I put aside my dislike for turn based combat and played them. I actually liked KH2 better, but that only fueled the fire, it didn't start it. Even if I'm not nearly as into those games as I was in my teenage years (I actually find the story kinda cheesy now), I've never found another game that had the same sort of impact on me. So, that makes it my all time favorite game.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 8th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Super Metroid

It's like a work of art that sucks me in every time I play it. I've beaten it a number of times over the years. Usually when I've beaten a game, I'm done with it. But the best SNES games such as Super Metroid, Zelda and Secret of Mana have so much replay value and still look and sound great.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2015, 1:25 pm

I've been talking about putting together a "top 20 games of all time" for a while.
The game I had in mind for #1 is Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES).
This is about as close to a flawless game as you can get.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 8th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Single player: Morrowind. I don't even play RPGs much but I have hundreds of hours played on this game. Finding a incredibly valuable item in that game felt like I was rich irl. So much fun watching your character development and eventually becoming almost invincible. Killing or stealing anything you want. This game is the ultimate masterpiece. Still every bit as fun to this day.

Multiplayer:

Not a console game but a pc game. And yet again another rpg. Well an mmorpg. Everquest 2. The amount of time in this game I would have to measure in hundreds of days rather than hours. I played it for 8 years in different guilds raiding for end game content. This type of game I played with friends irl but during that time you become pretty close with complete strangers. It's still around but Sony sold them along with all their other online pc games.

But I'm not even sure this game was good but I had a ton of fun trying to get mad lootz with my friends and family.
My brother quit playing but my best friend still actively plays and keeps trying to lure me back but im strictly a console gamer now. It's a lot more fun spending my time hunting for real life loot at my local thrift store finding retro games then wasting it on mmorpgs.

My brother now plays wow and I'm not interested in paying that either.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 9th, 2015, 2:56 pm

MLB 15: The Show. Didn't even hesitate.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 10th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Single player: This is really tough, and has definitely changed over the years. Right now, I think I would say Shenmue II. I love exploring the world, and just taking in the scenery. I can somehow immerse myself in the life of Ryo unlike any other game.

Multiplayer: No doubt, Goldeneye 007. I played sooooooo many hours of this with my brothers. I love how unbalanced it is. It's not at all like modern competitive shooters. Everybody makes up there own house rules i.e oddjob is cheating, no screen looking!, no proximity mines. I would think it's aged badly but actually when we fire her up it's still a blast. I really miss the days of 4 player split screen + bots. :cry:

Return to “Video Games General”