Definitive Football Game

General and high profile video game topics.
jon

Definitive Football Game

Postby jon » August 27th, 2015, 11:04 pm

In light of Madden coming out, I was thinking about the definitive games for each sport, and I could list ones that are just incredible and that I always come back to. For basketball its, NBA Jam TE, College Hoops 2k8. NHL 94 for hockey. Virtua Tennis for tennis. Some sports like baseball I think have a few. But no football game has given me the pure joy I've gotten from the Front Page Sports Football Pro series on the computers especially the '95 edition. The only one that got close was NFL 2k5, which was incredible. I was wondering what people think is the best football game.

Wallyworld

Re: Definitive Football Game

Postby Wallyworld » August 28th, 2015, 12:36 am

Most fun I've ever had with a football game by a mile is NFL Street. My godson and I play pick up game mode where you draft your team of 7 from a randomly selected pool of players. That really helps with reply value. The gameplay itself is over the top and arcade style fun. A lot of strategy takes place picking you team though because these 7 guys play both offense and defense.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 28th, 2015, 12:39 am

Speaking of madden best place to buy the latest version I found is ebay. Just ordered it new for $49 free shipping no tax.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 28th, 2015, 4:51 am

I think football is hard to find a definitive game for. I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be Tecmo Super Bowl.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 28th, 2015, 11:21 am

Herschie wrote:I think football is hard to find a definitive game for. I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be Tecmo Super Bowl.

Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL Blitz are easily iconic football games.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » August 28th, 2015, 11:43 am

There are really only three football games that matter in all of videogames:

Tecmo Super Bowl - Still the undisputed king of arcade style football.

NFL Blitz - A great game that has aged like fine wine. I wish this was still coming out.

ESPN NFL2K5 - If you want the best simulated game of football, here you go. Get the version on the original Xbox. Still great after all these years. Madden has never been able to come close to touching this game. This is the game that actually ruined football videogames. EA saw it and said, "We can't top that!" So they bought the exclusive license from the NFL and gamers around the world are still suffering today. This game is so damn good it changed football in gaming FOREVER!

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

EA freaked out not just because of the quality of the game (which is great) but new on release it was only $20. They were really going after EA. EA's only way to stay relevant was to buy the exclusive license.
Last edited by Wallyworld on August 28th, 2015, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2015, 2:41 pm

NFL 2K5 was not only superior to Madden, but also dramatically undercut its price.
After that, EA struck a deal with the NFL to get exclusive rights and put everyone else out of business.
This has not been good for gamers, and the Maddens since have been so-so at best, with no real incentive to improve.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » August 28th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Yeah I almost forgot that they launched the best modern football game in all the cosmos with bargain bin pricing! Man that was a genius move. I bet Take Two Interactive thought they would surely get noticed and be able to outsell the current football king, Madden. Little did they know what their little tactic would do. It's almost unforgivable how football fans have had to suffer under the miasma of utterly average Madden games for the last decade.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 28th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Regarding NFL 2k5 another thing that bugs me to this day is I was an avid EGM reader and they ranked Madden 05 higher than NFL2k5.

Did EGM get fat revenues from EA? How could they possibly all rate Madden 05 higher? I couldn't find all the reviews but I did find one from EGM 1up that went a little more in depth about why Madden was better.

http://www.1up.com/reviews/espn-nfl-2k5_2

Most people to this day rank 2k5 as best ever so why didn't anyone at EGM think so? I'm thinking $$$ had something to do with that.

Return to “Video Games General”