2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2015, 5:35 pm

I don't think I resented so much the time it took to figure out how to use the bank, slow down time, etc. It's the fact I had to do this stuff AT ALL! In my real life I had to do stuff like keep to a schedule, bank, etc. I do NOT want my games to be like real life with appointments and such.

Imagine a platformer where you couldn't make progress until it got light again. Actually that sounds a lot of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - a game that is not held in high regard by most.

Am I impatient? Yes. My time is valuable to me. If I was a 14 year old with no responsibilities I might have a different outlook.

I think a lot of people have fond memories of this game but if they replayed it NOW they might just be a little more critical.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 15th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Surprised I didn't see you mention losing all your arrows and other such items every time you return to the dawn of the first day.

This one is actually easily dealt with after earning the Goron mask. At the start, right after slowing down time, put this mask on and start rolling around the field surrounding Clock Town crushing enemies and bushes as you go. As I recall, I could fully replenish most everything after just perhaps 1 roll around the perimeter.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't think I resented so much the time it took to figure out how to use the bank, slow down time, etc. It's the fact I had to do this stuff AT ALL! In my real life I had to do stuff like keep to a schedule, bank, etc. I do NOT want my games to be like real life with appointments and such.

In the game's defense, the vast majority of what you're complaining about had to do with optional sidequests. And most Zelda games have their fair share of such busywork if you want to go out of your way to collect a particular upgrade that's optional, track down every heart piece, etc.

The difference in Majora's Mask is that the people that populate the world aren't just standing around all the time, but actually have routines and will move from place to place during the course of the three days instead of remaining static. I rarely ever utilized the schedule and remember it actually being difficult to fully comprehend on the small 13" CRT connected via RF that I originally played it on when it was new.

It's an aid that can be useful, but I don't recall it being crucial most of the time when I played through this back in 2000/2001.
Last edited by Atariboy on August 16th, 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 16th, 2015, 11:42 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think a lot of people have fond memories of this game but if they replayed it NOW they might just be a little more critical.

Good point, I think most of the people commenting haven't actually played this recently. I think I'll do just that!

D-Pad

Postby D-Pad » August 16th, 2015, 4:53 pm

And here's what I was talking about: a recent example of gushing over Majora's Mask, both in the article and the comments, in response to this release.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 20th, 2015, 3:53 am

There's the song of double time to speed the days into nights, and nights into days.

There's no getting around the fact that this is a game that simulates living inside another world. If you want to explore a world that operates on a child's dream logic, this is a rare treasure. Most AAA games are more expansive at the cost of depth, and they have little time for imagination. But I get that it's not for everyone.

In previous reviews, you've always been careful to include a grade bump for games which may appeal to other gamers - a feature I wish more adopted. Given how many people still enjoy this game, with some even calling it their favorite game of all time, shouldn't this review contain one too?

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 27th, 2015, 10:37 am

I'm still trying to get through this game, but in all honesty I don't have the patience anymore to solve all the side quests without a FAQ... I don't think the game is as bad as the VGC points out, but it can be a bit of a chore. I played the first two dungeons so far and I thought they were alright, but I didn't find them as compelling as dungeons in other Zelda games. Still have the intention to finish it one day though.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 29th, 2015, 4:08 pm

I set my mind on finishing this game, and I'm just slowly advancing. Seriously, did anyone manage to finish this game without a FAQ? I have to look things up all the time, many puzzles/quests just seem so unclear to me...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 3rd, 2015, 2:06 am

I've never finished, but I've come incredibly close, over and over again. It's my favorite game of all time, but I'm jinxed. Consoles have been stolen, games broken, memory cards not working...

I think it's a game you need to completely lose yourself in, if you want to beat it without a FAQ. But there's no shame to using one, if you don't want to make that kind of commitment.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 3rd, 2015, 1:19 pm

When it comes to certain games (usually ones with a lot of collectibles) I actually enjoy the game more using a FAQS then I do without. I like having the best equipment in the game and I don't always want to spend an extra 50% of my time looking for those things.

NX17

Postby NX17 » September 8th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Rev wrote:When it comes to certain games (usually ones with a lot of collectibles) I actually enjoy the game more using a FAQS then I do without. I like having the best equipment in the game and I don't always want to spend an extra 50% of my time looking for those things.

Not to spoil anything, but getting every mask in Zelda unlocks something so powerful it basically makes the final boss battle a moot point. Sort of like leveling up in an RPG to the point where all your attacks do ridiculous damage.

I don't mind using a FAQs, or back in the day, a strategy guide. But usually, if it takes that much to complete a game I don't bother with it to begin with.

Return to “Review Feedback”