Twinkle Tale - Sega Genesis

The readers post their own reviews.
Wallyworld

Twinkle Tale - Sega Genesis

Postby Wallyworld » September 1st, 2015, 12:13 am

Twinkle Tale- grade A

Twinkle Tale was released for the Sega Mega Drive in Japan in 1992 and never released outside of Japan. It was developed by ZAP and Published by Wonder Amusement Studios. This was the only game they ever released for the Mega Drive. My review is for the fan English translated version for the Sega Genesis.

This great game is a run and gun but instead of the usual commando with heavy weapons and grenades it is fantasy based. You play a witch that starts the game with 3 kinds of projectile attacks at her disposal. She has a strong focused attack, a spread shot that is medium strength and a homing spray attack that is weakest but you don't have to aim. All three attacks can be leveled up two additional times from the default attack. One hit from an enemy however will not only damage your witch but will also drop that attack down a level. You can change attacks in real time by pressing the C button. You also will have a screen clearing attack by pressing the A button and can save a max of three of these at a time. As you progress through the game you will also get more slots added to your life bar.

The games graphics are terrific and colorful. ZAP really did a fantastic job developing this game and paid a lot attention to detail. On the final stage you are given a cape that allows you to fly. This stage is actually a shmup and your cape is nicely animated as it flaps in the wind as you fly through the stage. At the end of every stage you encounter a prerequisite boss fight most are creative and interesting. The bosses are huge many times taking up half the screen! They well animated and have interesting attacks. Many stages have multiple routes you can take adding to the games replay value.

The controls are super tight and your witch moves quickly and responsively. Collision detection is spot on and if you get hit its probably your own fault as the game doesn't ever have cheap hits or unavoidable attacks.

One more thing I have to mention is the soundtrack is among the best I have heard on the Genesis. You will happily be humming along with this music as you take out these undead creatures.

This is in my top 5 favorite Sega Genesis games. I just bought Madden 16 but I can't stop playing Twinkle Tale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BipENEJmxZo

I purchased my copy of the fan translated version of the game off etsy. This seller is selling them for $29.

Here is the Link to the the guy I bought mine from.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/153849393/ ... esis-shmup

mbd36

Re: Twinkle Tale - Sega Genesis

Postby mbd36 » September 2nd, 2015, 9:29 am

Haha, the Twinkle Tale footage immediately reminded me of Elemental Master and that was one of the recommended shooters.

But this looks even better than that game which I like a lot.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 2nd, 2015, 9:50 pm

I own and like Elemental Master but Twinkle Tale is definitely a better game. It's in my top 5 favorite genny games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 6th, 2015, 8:29 am

I've never even heard of this game until your review. Thanks for posting. It looks great.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 6th, 2015, 11:28 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I've never even heard of this game until your review. Thanks for posting. It looks great.

A week later I'm still playing it every day. Finally got to the final boss. Haven't beat it yet. I highly recommend any genesis fan to hunt down a fan translated copy and enjoy this hidden gem.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 24th, 2015, 10:25 am

I'm so happy that someone else knows this game! I'm also glad you have enjoyed it so much. I played it religiously about 2.5 years ago. It's excellent. I never got nearly as good as you; couldn't get close to the final boss but I enjoyed making steady progress.

Twinkle Tale would definitely make my top 10 genesis games of all time. Fantastic stuff for shooter fans.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » November 27th, 2015, 3:39 pm

JWK wrote:I'm so happy that someone else knows this game! I'm also glad you have enjoyed it so much. I played it religiously about 2.5 years ago. It's excellent. I never got nearly as good as you; couldn't get close to the final boss but I enjoyed making steady progress.

Twinkle Tale would definitely make my top 10 genesis games of all time. Fantastic stuff for shooter fans.

Awesome! I'm glad someone else there loves this game like I do. I know the Critic bought this and Greylancer a while back. I'm looking forward to when he get's a chance to review them. My guess is Twinkle Tale gets anywhere from a B+ to an A and Greylancer gets somewhere in the B range.

Return to “Reader Reviews”