10/3/2006: PSP: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Pursuit Force, Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
m0zart1

10/3/2006: PSP: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Pursuit Force, Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Postby m0zart1 » October 4th, 2006, 5:00 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Is the critic right, or does he need his head examined??  You be the judge![/QUOTE]

By the way, you named this "Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts", but it's called "Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins".

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 4th, 2006, 5:06 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

It's pointless to discuss since nobody on this site owns a PSP other then a few people. The control is fine, the d-pad is fine, hell it is the same one on the PS2 and nobody complains about that. People hate the PSP and Sony so they'll say or believe anything to bring the system down. I haven't played any NES games on the PSP so I don't know but there has only been one game (Darkstalkers) that I have played on the PSP where the control has been an issue. To be honest, I really enjoy this site but I don't put too much reliance on the scoring system as this is just further proof that the critic is all over the place with his grading. I am still amazed at a B+ for Point Blank. I basically enjoy the retro reviews for the nostalgia factor but that is about it. I think ign is closer to the mark for my tastes. No disrespect intended.

[/QUOTE]

Well, given that IGN is full of Sony fanboys, I can see that.

Seriously, I don't think I can possibly be said to be "down" on the PSP.  I got a PSP at Japanese launch.  I didn't even intend to get a DS on American launch.  It's been the history of that system since I first bought one that has led me to be negative.

The reality is that the PSP as a system has a LOT of potential.  There are just very few who are really trying to tap into it.  Sony has been making bad decisions for a while now.  I think that what's happened is that they have become too arrogant.  That often happens with successful companies -- I mean, look at both Nintendo and Sega in the '90s.  It takes a loss of marketshare and maybe a few market failures to wake some of these companies up.  And Sony is in desperate need of WAKING TFU!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 4th, 2006, 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Is the critic right, or does he need his head examined??  You be the judge![/QUOTE]

By the way, you named this "Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts", but it's called "Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins".

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out!  It's fixed.

a1

Postby a1 » October 4th, 2006, 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

It's pointless to discuss since nobody on this site owns a PSP other then a few people. The control is fine, the d-pad is fine, hell it is the same one on the PS2 and nobody complains about that. People hate the PSP and Sony so they'll say or believe anything to bring the system down.

[/QUOTE]

I owned a PSP for over half a year Shawn, and I know I've read several posts from other people who own one. I think the d-pad on the PSP worked fine for the 3d games that I played when I owned the system. But the d-pad is not the same as the PS2 d-pad, and does not work as well for 2d. I don't hate the PSP or Sony, Shawn; I don't own a PSP because there aren't too many games I want to make it a worthwhile purchase, but I have nothing against it. I just don't like the d-pad on the PSP.

a1

Postby a1 » October 4th, 2006, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Shawn]

To be honest, I really enjoy this site but I don't put too much reliance on the scoring system as this is just further proof that the critic is all over the place with his grading. I am still amazed at a B+ for Point Blank. I basically enjoy the retro reviews for the nostalgia factor but that is about it. I think ign is closer to the mark for my tastes. No disrespect intended.

[/QUOTE]

Well, given that IGN is full of Sony fanboys, I can see that.

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think either of you are correct here. No reviewer is going to match your tastes completely. IGN is just as "all over the place" as the critic is. They gave Paper Mario 2 a good score, and I wanted to shoot myself just watching my brother play that game. But IGN is also not full of Sony fanboys, or at least they are just as full of Nintendo fanboys. This site, and ign, are a good base for whether or not a game will be fun. Sometimes you may be disappointed with a purchase one of the sites leads you to, but for the most part they are helpful. Maybe the critic was off on his Point Blank DS review (I couldn't tell you; I've never played it), but I think he has the right idea most of the time, Shawn.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » October 4th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave (I'm working from memory here), but weren't you the one that pointed 'HSG Open Tee' to me as an example of the PSP line-up's lack of originality when I mentioned it as my favorite PSP game at the time (mid-2005)?  Guess playing the game would actually make a difference before "the videogame critic" makes sweeping pronouncements like 'HSG' for PSP is proof of the PSP's inadequacy compared to the DS'.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 4th, 2006, 10:54 pm

[QUOTE=a] I honestly don't think either of you are correct here. No reviewer is going to match your tastes completely. IGN is just as "all over the place" as the critic is.[/QUOTE]

IGN is known to have a disproportionately large number of Sony fans.  This is because of the way they structure themselves.  They divide themselves out into several "offices".  Each one concentrates on their given hardware.  The DS has its own office.  Gamecube, PSP, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360 -- the list goes on.  Each one has its own office.  The offices that handle the Sony products are together, almost as large as the rest of the organization put together.

This particularly influences their GOTY award (as of course, Sony has the most almost-guaranteed votes on any given year), but it affects them in many other ways too.  All of their departments are way too positive on their given platform, it's just that Sony's is the largest and most vocal.

Other outlets, like Gamespot, purposefully force their reviewers to rotate platforms.  It works to their advantage.  While the IGN review wants to be more positive, the Gamespot review is much more realistic.  At least -- in this case

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » October 5th, 2006, 6:17 am

My aging computer can't even GET on the IGN site, but I wish people would stop saying this site has "fanboys". There is no doubt that each of us has our favorite system. I guess mine are Colecovision, Genesis and the DS (I play DS most because I'm on the go a lot). But I also love sony, I just GOT a great PS2! Toca3 is my fave game right now! I dislike Microsoft-the COMPANY'S- practices but Xbox and X360 are cool systems too. PSP is fine (it still needs more 2D stuff tho) , ALL systems have their plusses and minuses. There are good and bad grades for all systems, and I disagree with the critic occasionaly myself- I like Space Panic/CV and Pole Position 2/7800 ...but I'd say I am with him much more than against him on the reviews. It's just making a leap to say "so-and-so likes (blank) system so they are a (blank)fanboy! " I'm a VIDEOGAME fan....boy!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 5th, 2006, 6:43 am

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave (I'm working from memory here), but weren't you the one that pointed 'HSG Open Tee' to me as an example of the PSP line-up's lack of originality when I mentioned it as my favorite PSP game at the time (mid-2005)?  Guess playing the game would actually make a difference before "the videogame critic" makes sweeping pronouncements like 'HSG' for PSP is proof of the PSP's inadequacy compared to the DS'.

[/QUOTE]

No, I think I was absolutely correct when I said the initial PSP line-up lacked originality.  I'd be perfectly justified in calling Hot Shots Open Tee a rehash.  However, that doesn't mean the game isn't fun!

For the record, my PSP predictions were dead on.  I said that after the hype died down, the system would be swamped with second-rate PS2 ports, and would not do very well overall.  I think that was true, although there are finally a few original titles appearing for it (finally).

I thought that the DS would do "okay" from the start but even I am surprised by how well it's taken off.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 5th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Mozart you don't know what you are talking about. Gamespot is a joke! I am not saying IGN is the be all end all but gamespot is terrible. Anyway, this is pointless. However, I would love somebody to explain how this many rehashes showed up on the DS b/c we know Nintendo would never do that:

Mario DS

New (laugh) Super Mario Brothers

Metroid Prime Hunters

Animal Crossing

Harvest Moon

Mario Kart DS

Tetris

etc, etc.

Actually, the only games worth playing on the DS in 2006 are some of these rehashes so thank God for that. Of course, some of these games I mentioned above are great but they are essentially rehashes of games that already exist on other systems. The PSP has plenty as well but in my humble opinion its not even close, for the types of games I enjoy there are many more quality titles available on the PSP right now. Heck, you can't even get a decent sports game on the DS (Mario Hoops SUCKS) b/c the technology is circa 1995. I think the DS is going to be buried by mini-games, puzzles and brain teezers which isn't going to keep peoples interest for too long. My prediction is simple; in 2007 the PSP will outsell the DS in North America. Cheers!

Return to “Review Feedback”